Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 03:39:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FreeBazaar - OpenBazaar with Monero  (Read 8735 times)
Atrides (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Admin of DwarfPool.com

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 06:59:40 PM
Last edit: June 12, 2015, 08:10:33 PM by Atrides

I start this topic for discussion related to FreeBazaar.

FreeBazaar is fork of OpenBazaar with Monero (XMR) support

GitHub: https://github.com/freebazaar/FreeBazaar/

What done up to date:
- XMR integration
- Payments with payment_id
- fixes of some bugs in OB
- communication with Monero daemon.

What To-Do:
- delete multisig escrow from process
- work with OB-dev team to integrate XMR into main project, if possible convince to make the code BTC-independence (currently BTC is very hardcoded). Contacted with Sam Patterson from OB.

From my side was mistake that I have closed group where posted updates. From now I will make it here.

OpenBazaar raized 1M$ from investors. So I think they will speed up with development process. I follow all commits, and I fix they for right work with monero.

DwarfPool Quality you can trust! http://DwarfPool.com Reliable Monero, Zcash and ETH Pool Monero Proxy
Anonymous pool with failover servers and PPS, Profit Calculator and Price chart: [XMR][ETH][ZEC]... Support thread
MoneroClub - free P2P Exchange Platform www.MoneroClub.com
QuantumQrack

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 07:36:16 PM

So this project is to integrate XMR with OpenBazaar, correct?  Or is it to fork OpenBazaar to a completely separate codebase that supports XMR?
Atrides (OP)

Admin of DwarfPool.com

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 07:42:30 PM

So this project is to integrate XMR with OpenBazaar, correct?  Or is it to fork OpenBazaar to a completely separate codebase that supports XMR?

At first stage just integrate XMR into OpenBazaar as fork "FreeBazaar".
On the second if it possible, commit all into OpenBazaar. If not (because BTC is very hardcoded, OB-dev may decline it) then it will be parallel/separate XMR-Bazaar.

DwarfPool Quality you can trust! http://DwarfPool.com Reliable Monero, Zcash and ETH Pool Monero Proxy
Anonymous pool with failover servers and PPS, Profit Calculator and Price chart: [XMR][ETH][ZEC]... Support thread
QuantumQrack

Activity: 337

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 07:46:58 PM

Well, thank you for your work on this project and I wish you the best of success!  By the way, you may want to post a donation address (maybe escrow type, I'm not sure), and remember, community need regular update, even if just to say, "Hi, still working on it".  Grin
MR1
Legendary

Activity: 927
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 07:56:50 PM

@Atrides

What do you mean by "delete escrow from process" ?  XMR based OB will not have escrow service?
medusa13

Activity: 453

hello world

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 08:02:05 PM

monero can not perform multisig until now. but research is done in this direction and its on the list somewhere i guess.

however, escrow is possible without multisig, but need a trusted party

XMR Monero
Atrides (OP)

Admin of DwarfPool.com

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 08:13:59 PM

monero can not perform multisig until now. but research is done in this direction and its on the list somewhere i guess.

however, escrow is possible without multisig, but need a trusted party

right, I forgot to add "multisig"

pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 08:29:00 PM

Good to hear you are still working on this project. If you succeed, it will be an important addition to Monero's economy.
jdebunt
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2015, 06:15:35 AM

Hope this project succeeds, always good to see more development Smiley
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 08:14:56 AM

Now that OpenBazar is hyped in the crypto press. You could possibly get more funding for the FreeBazaar fork.
Using Monero instead of Bitcoin is a far superior solution.
6strings

Activity: 441

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 05:19:53 PM

Best of luck with this.
Atrides (OP)

Admin of DwarfPool.com

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2015, 09:07:36 AM

Donation Address?

Code:
45jWVQzoyRdH8bd8CA66yBHYQ4ZXmfw81KCr1PdbzcDJND65L5sFzFmN5ty1tzhk3EPHnUfLqB8SpLfPRQAnNnaB1x958c9

And if you donate, please send me PM, I'll add you to donators list, or you can donate anonymous

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 4924

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 05:04:23 PM

Donation Address?

Code:
45jWVQzoyRdH8bd8CA66yBHYQ4ZXmfw81KCr1PdbzcDJND65L5sFzFmN5ty1tzhk3EPHnUfLqB8SpLfPRQAnNnaB1x958c9

And if you donate, please send me PM, I'll add you to donators list, or you can donate anonymous

Just wonder, how much time have you actually spent on this project?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Mountain Jew

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 07:20:28 PM

I'd really like to see one of these decentralised markets that allows the possibility to accept many different alt coins. Maybe people might have a use for all those cannabis coins then  Grin. Can't wait for these type of markets to become the norm.
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 05:46:14 PM

Any updates on this Atrides?  When do you expect to have something useable online?

Atrides (OP)

Admin of DwarfPool.com

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 07:47:16 PM

Any updates on this Atrides?  When do you expect to have something useable online?
It will be very usefull if somebody can download the code and post me issues.

benthach
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2015, 08:15:18 PM

stealthcoin people already think way ahead of monero about fork openbazaar but their side seem pretty quite lately

reddit btcwriter1 - twitter kingpininvestor
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
July 08, 2015, 11:01:39 PM

The current state of affairs with Atrides' OpenBazaar community-funded project.

I am one of the donator to Atrides, who proposed to integrate Monero into OpenBazaar a while back:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.msg9994963#msg9994963

Being now pretty disapointed with how things well, I want to post about it publicly, and ask for a partial refund of the donations I gave.
Here is a (redacted for names only) transcript of the private group of donators, where he was supposed to let us know what was going on.

Code:
== Wed, Jan 14 ==

Atrides: So here short squeeze of thoughts about payments within FreeBazaar to discuss:
Payments: 1) Direct Payments 2) Payment via Escrow
Escrow: Free multiple choice of options, determined per-transaction:
- simple BTC/XMR escrow (for XMR without miltisig)
- To reduce exchange rate risk USD-stabilized escrow (with convert on exchanges/Nubits/BitUSD/use Bitreserve. That will be explained by Escrow-service. Payments in any currency(BTC/USD) for both seller and buyer.

== Thu, Jan 15 ==
Atrides: I take some time to learn the code and set steps priorities for actual to do. I will inform you next days

== Wed, Jan 21 ==
binaryFate: How is it going? Once you get more familiar with the code base, can you give us a general estimate of the time needed for each further step?
Atrides: Hi guys, I'll offer details this weekend

== Tue, Jan 27 ==
Atrides: Hi guys, I have readed docs and code.
So see one problem - core team of OpenBazaar works very slow. Last commit in dev-repo was two weeks ago. A lot of pull requests with ready code are pinding since october...bad. So I think our commits will be delayed for a long time. Without integration into OpenBazaar we can make it quicker, but within we have already prepared publicity, recognition.

== Wed, Jan 28 ==
binaryFate: I guess you can just work on a branch and keep going even if they don't merge changes back quickly

== Thu, Feb 5 ==
binaryFate: Is anything happening? Are you working on it or not at the moment?

== Sat, Feb 7 ==
Atrides: Hi, yes, I'm working. sadly I cannot work full time because I have collected less, so I must take other projects too

== Sun, Feb 15 ==
Atrides: I'm mostly working on some projects at the same time. bazaar is very important to me, but at the moment is not a priority. I promized to finished, and I will do that, sorry I cann't say on what days exactly I can work. last two weeks I was extremly busy, with no chance to do something else. Your money are not moved from my wallet I didn't sell them and won't do this till monero will rise many times because of bazaar. Next days I push some of commits to github what already done.

== Tue, Feb 17 ==
Atrides: First initial commit, added monero as alternative coin, other commits during this week after tests

== Tue, Mar 3 ==
REDACTED: How is progress? Any new commits?
Atrides: Yes, two days ago, some commits. This week I'll do the rest.

== Wed, Mar 11 ==
Atrides: I have asked developers of OpenBazaar that our patches may be implemented. In original OB Bitcoin is hardcoded overall.

== Wed, Mar 18 ==
Atrides: Hm...still no answer from Devs
Atrides: I pushed new commit. Communications with local monero Wallet and directly payment

== Sun, Mar 29 ==
Atrides: Good(?) news from dev of OpenBazaar, they can implement other coins if external dev make patches.

== Tue, Apr 7 ==
binaryFate:
1) What is the state of the Monero freebazar branch? Is it fully functional? If not, what is missing and what is the ETA for it?
2) Why not release the Monero freebazar code even if it's not merged mainstream by official openbazaar devs? If it's working let's release it, merge can come later.

== Wed, Apr 8 ==
Atrides:
1) Not fully functional because of problems in OB code and development of OB is very slooow. Also I will publish the full report of the state and problems, and ask which way we should go.
2) Hm, I have official repository with all my commits: https://github.com/freebazaar/FreeBazaar I push commits only for good code, the development version on my dev-pc is unusable. Next days I'll push new commits.

== Thu, Apr 9 ==
binaryFate: You should give a public detailed update on (i) what was done and (ii) what are the 'problems in OB code' you mention.
I advise you to do it very soon, because many people are starting to question the way this little project is going as compared with the donations received.

Atrides: Yes, I plan to release next week the big report, after my last commit. The report needs some time, I want to describe problems, done work and future ways.
Currently don't have time to read the forum.

binaryFate: Great, looking forward to the report.

== Mon, Apr 13 ==
binaryFate: Next week I'll meet Dionysis, one of the core dev of OpenBazaar, in real life. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help integration when meeting him.
In two weeks actually, got confused.

Atrides: Really great news! I'll try to finish the my part of work, if it will be possible to integrate, that's great. Currently OB is very hardcoded for BTC only.

== Sat, Apr 25 ==
Atrides: OB is now beta4, I must merge FreeBazaar and new version.
I have merged OpenBazaar Beta4 and fixed conflicts

== Wed, May 6 ==
REDACTED: Nice to see your progress. Thanks for posting updates.

As you can see from the transcript of the "conversation", Atrides claimed to be significantly in touch with openbazaar people. (That is partly what he got the donations for, coding and interacting with them towards integration).

End of April, I met Dionysis Zindros, one of the lead developers of OpenBazaar. He didn't know about Atrides; he didn't know about Monero alltogether.

The actual work that was done does not justify the donations received at all. I know that getting familiar with a foreign code base takes time, but still. I did my best to give him a chance, and on behalf of the community to push him gently to move forward. The lack of activity since a month, the latest promise to come back to the community "next week" which was two months ago... I have no patience left.
Atrides, I publickly ask you to refund me half of the donations I gave, in which case things will be all good for me (you did a bit of work). Otherwise I will consider that you are dishonest.

You can send half of the XMR I donated to this address.
Code:
45D2ipTSwN9cNijro1kpw5SwQZmVxFinZdNNcPVpvrgfWvbm4xVmhNfbwy5VcisRkMj2cB4K8jGsjE5zRTcQ53mNJn81tbf
You can also send it to the core team donation address, if they confirm reception, that will be fine for me.

So, what exactly happened since this post, Atrides?
One more wasted month?

Where are my XMRs? I gently asked only half, but I won't forget them.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
Atrides (OP)

Admin of DwarfPool.com

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2015, 11:07:07 AM

I don't stop the project and still working, but especially for you I made your request.

binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 11:48:31 AM

I don't stop the project and still working, but especially for you I made your request.

Thank you.

EDIT: I confirm I received it.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: