Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2024, 11:19:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New York court rules examiners can keep organs without notifying family  (Read 305 times)
TheIrishman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 09:57:49 PM

New York court rules examiners can keep organs without notifying family

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/12/new-york-organs-medical-examiners

<< New York medical examiners can keep organs without notifying family members when bodies are released, a New York appeals court ruled on Wednesday. The decision divided the seven-member court 5-2, after a Staten Island forensic pathologist kept the brain of a 17-year-old car crash victim, only for it to be discovered by a classmate on a field trip. The appeals court justices all wanted the state legislature to decide the matter.

The right to claim a loved one's remains in order to bury them is known as "right of sepulcher". The right is considered part of common law, derived from unwritten elements in English law on which many American statutes are based. The family of Jesse Shipley brought suit after a forensic pathologist in Richmond County returned Shipley's body but not his brain, and instead "fixed" the brain in a jar of formaldehyde-derivative fluid. >>
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 12, 2015, 10:14:39 PM

How bizarre. No mention of what he actually wanted the brain for.

I myself couldn't care less what happens to my body parts once I'm gone. I got plenty of use out of them and if someone else wants to turn them into ornaments or a tasty meal then I fully support it from wherever I end up.

I would vastly prefer it if my nearest and dearest had the final say.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2015, 10:51:31 PM

Some religions require a body to be buried intact. This law will and should be struck down. I can understand temporary holding for forensic use, but this is a disaster waiting to happen.
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 02:16:35 AM

Big surprise that in such a situation of historical contexts that these piece of shit courts would turn this one on its head. The medical examiner's job ends once they complete the autopsy and determine the cause of death. I would question this examiner's sanity and mental fitness for the job after they go and pull some deranged stunt like this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: