Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 07:26:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No betting rule in the forum.  (Read 1258 times)
Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 02:29:03 AM

I propose that there's a no betting rule on this forum. And if someone wants to bet about something, then use some dedicated site for that, and pay up the coins in advance to be held in escrow.

Betting with strangers with no coins in escrow is bound to be a disaster.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 02:39:44 AM

I propose that there's a no betting rule on this forum. And if someone wants to bet about something, then use some dedicated site for that, and pay up the coins in advance to be held in escrow.

but why should the forum babysit us?
tiberiandusk

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2012, 02:44:23 AM

Idiots are going to be idiots. Half the fun of these forums is watching them all lose their shit.

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 02:46:52 AM

What's with all these ideas about rules? That's a terrible rule on so many levels.

But I agree with the bit about escrow. That goes for IRL too.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 02:48:41 AM

I think what we really need is an adult forum and the kiddie forum. 
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 02:51:48 AM

Don't we already have a gambling subforum where bets can go?

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 02:57:05 AM

Betting is irresponsible, regardless. I'm embarassed to have taken part in Matthew's bet (not because of Matthew, and not because I was certain pirate wouldn't pay out, but simply because betting is foolish).
toffoo

Activity: 408
Merit: 261

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 02:57:46 AM

sorry, I couldn't resist:

Herodes (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 11:53:37 AM

I'm not against betting, not so sure if 'internet promises' is what we should base bets on. Too easy to run away from the responsibility.

Apart from that, the comment about having a adult and kid forum was a good one. *chukle*
Mosrite

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

sealswithclubs.eu

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 12:07:35 PM

Betting is irresponsible, regardless. I'm embarassed to have taken part in Matthew's bet (not because of Matthew, and not because I was certain pirate wouldn't pay out, but simply because betting is foolish).

Retarded statement. When you cross the street, you make a bet. When you invest in anything, you make a bet. Such nonsense.

learn, chat and play with me at sealswithclubs.eu
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 12:10:16 PM

If you have a no-betting rule in the forum, you would also have to close down the "Securities" forum as well.
Bigpiggy01

Activity: 1138
Merit: 523

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2012, 03:00:49 PM

I like the idea of enforced escrow.

But a no betting rule still reeks of Danish nanny state.

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
   ▄██████████████████▀ ▄▄██▀
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄
[ POW Algorithm: GhostRider    Anti-FPGA/ASIC ]
Assets/Tokens Masternodes Smart Contracts

.51% / Double Spend Protection, Instant Speed, Private Send.
▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 03:11:55 PM

Yeah, obv. I posted to spur a discussion. Which seems to be working.

I know bitcoin.org removed the forum from that site because it was an 'embarassment'. And as of lately I feel the forum is an embarassment for the bitcoin community overall. Esp. for newcomers, all they see is arguing, scams and general mayhem. Those who are easily scared could quickly back out from a mess like that.

So I think my general thought is that the forum should have more content and less noise. So perhaps some parts of the forum should just be moved to bitcoinchildishandimmatureforumdiscussions.com or alternatively allstupidbitcoindiscussions here.

Then bitcointalk.org could go about the bitcoin discussion, with a more serious tone, and everyone that can't behave is forcefully moved to the 'kid section'. For instance, every user could have a 'kid/troll'-button, and once it's received enough votes from the community, it's reviewed by forum staff, and if they think you don't contribute mutch to the forum, you'll be moved to the kid/slum-section for a couple of months. Cheesy

It's said, I would not refer anyone to this forum to learn more about bitcoin.
gbl08ma

Activity: 306

Donations: http://tny.im/nx

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 10:55:25 PM

Regardless of my opinion in this particular subject, I completely agree with you in this statement. I used Bitcoin for many months before I decided to join this forum, I remember that I saw it as a... dirty? ugly? thing. And the thing that made me change my mind was that by not joining, I'd be unable to communicate with the people that run some of the trustworthy and honest projects in the Bitcoin community, and that use this forum as their main communication mean. Also, I thought that by joining I'd be able to get updates on interesting Bitcoin projects (and on the project itself) quicker and easier.

Unfortunately, later the "show unread posts" function returns results that aren't very insightful - and eventually scare away many newcomers. Among these results, there are lots and lots of gambling and betting threads. Is there a way to ignore specific threads or even whole subforums (permanently mark them as read)?

I don't think people should run their projects, "investments" and bets directly on this forum. I think they should be able to use it as a way to advertise and discuss their things, but the forum infrastructure shouldn't be used for just everything from "sign me up" to "cancel my account" and "here's my bet". There are betting websites for bets; projects should have their own independent infrastructure allowing for contacting the people responsible by the project (instead of relying on forum threads and PMs); and "investments", be them serious and honest or not, should have their own independent page clearly stating their rules and important announcements, instead of relying on bitcointalk threads with over 50 pages.
For me, "discussing" a project/bet/investment/game means either discussing an idea for e.g. an upcoming thing or discussing something that's established already. I wouldn't trust anyone who uses a mere forum post on a single website to announce a bet/investment/game.
In other words, that kind of things shouldn't live in the forum (homeless) but have its own "building" where people can enter.

About the "one forum for kiddies and another for adults" idea, it may seem very appealing at first, but I think that, unless you have some central authority who judges who is a kiddie and who is an adult (and then one may wonder: does it judge in a fair way, or not?), the end result would be that the kiddies forum would be empty, and everyone would show up on the adults forum (nobody would want to be called a kiddie).

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 11:13:19 PM

I bet you this won't happen.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 11:14:14 PM

I'll bet that rule is not instated. Whoa, meta.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2012, 07:28:54 PM

Come on, giving money to an escrow is just as much a problem as to trust my betting partner that he will pay. Because I think that bets of bitcoin will not exist in 3 years from now, I don't put my money into such long term bets but only things up to 2 months of payout. An escrow is one aspect that makes the whole situation more complicated and of course more expensive but if a total stranger wants to bet with me, I certainly would take these extra costs. With MNW I understand people didn't.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 11:38:36 PM

Good post. I think it's easy for a newcomer to be confused coming here, esp. if he's not willing to put in the time to find the best posts. Because there's gold here sometimes as well.

I agree that services should have their own infrastructure. If anyone's serious about making a service, they could program a webpage or hire someone to do it.

Regardless of my opinion in this particular subject, I completely agree with you in this statement. I used Bitcoin for many months before I decided to join this forum, I remember that I saw it as a... dirty? ugly? thing. And the thing that made me change my mind was that by not joining, I'd be unable to communicate with the people that run some of the trustworthy and honest projects in the Bitcoin community, and that use this forum as their main communication mean. Also, I thought that by joining I'd be able to get updates on interesting Bitcoin projects (and on the project itself) quicker and easier.

Unfortunately, later the "show unread posts" function returns results that aren't very insightful - and eventually scare away many newcomers. Among these results, there are lots and lots of gambling and betting threads. Is there a way to ignore specific threads or even whole subforums (permanently mark them as read)?

I don't think people should run their projects, "investments" and bets directly on this forum. I think they should be able to use it as a way to advertise and discuss their things, but the forum infrastructure shouldn't be used for just everything from "sign me up" to "cancel my account" and "here's my bet". There are betting websites for bets; projects should have their own independent infrastructure allowing for contacting the people responsible by the project (instead of relying on forum threads and PMs); and "investments", be them serious and honest or not, should have their own independent page clearly stating their rules and important announcements, instead of relying on bitcointalk threads with over 50 pages.
For me, "discussing" a project/bet/investment/game means either discussing an idea for e.g. an upcoming thing or discussing something that's established already. I wouldn't trust anyone who uses a mere forum post on a single website to announce a bet/investment/game.
In other words, that kind of things shouldn't live in the forum (homeless) but have its own "building" where people can enter.

About the "one forum for kiddies and another for adults" idea, it may seem very appealing at first, but I think that, unless you have some central authority who judges who is a kiddie and who is an adult (and then one may wonder: does it judge in a fair way, or not?), the end result would be that the kiddies forum would be empty, and everyone would show up on the adults forum (nobody would want to be called a kiddie).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: