Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 08:36:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea for a bitcoin killer app => "email megafone"  (Read 434 times)
remotemass (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1117
Merit: 1016

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2015, 11:31:00 AM
Last edit: June 13, 2015, 11:41:09 AM by remotemass

Idea for a bitcoin killer app => "email megafone"

Here is an idea for a very simple yet powerful app:
You have a webpage that allows you to subscribe to a service simillar to a mailling-list.

You are asked for three things: your email, the message you want to spread and your bitcoin address for tips.

****************************************************************************************
Put your email: =>
Message you want to spread (50 characters or fewer): =>
Bitcoin address for tips: =>
****************************************************************************************

You receive an email to confirm your subscription and as long as you are subscribed you are entitled to be
a selected winner in the raffle pick taking place with every new block.
Every 10 minutes or so, the hash of the latest block is used to select a winner.
The message of the winner goes in the EMAIL SUBJECT LINE being sent by email to all users subscribed, and all the
messages, their entrie number and bitcoin address for tips go all listed in the email body.

Here is an example of how an email could look like:

Email Subject: This is my crazy message to the world!!!

Email Body:

The winner was in place #5 with the message "This is my crazy message to the world!!!" and bitcoin address: 17gN64BPHtxi4mEM3qWrxdwhieUvRq8R2r

Here is the list of all:

#1 "I love Pizza and Chocolate" 1ggjsdgwedwegwdgegw423ieUvRq8R2r
#2 "Vote Green Party" 18924hjgjgjsfGJHJ76248234847sf
#3 "The latest album of Elton John is great" 1jhsgg786342hhaghgjf7347834kjaha
#4 "Everyone see my instagram @BadpicTan" 1ahghgaf7887wey9kkk3989839839
#5 "This is my crazy message to the world!!!" 1hsgsj74387987akjhkhy8943hkkfk
#6 "Visit my t-shirts shop badasstshirts.com" 1992774983jkakjkkfka843389akljkaf
#7 "I am going to visit Italy next month, @Italydude" 1732766akhhkhfah289r289jkakfkkkhfa

The idea is that the message of the winner would go in the subject line of the email being broadcasted so it would
get more visibility. To change the message you would just need to go to the webpage and subscribe again with a new
message and then confirm again your email address.
All emails would have an unsubscribe link, of course.

What do you think?!

[EDIT:] Maybe the email broadcast should only be every 1000 blocks, so the selected winner would always be from the hash of a block with block number ending in triple zero: #.........000

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
melody82

Activity: 378
Merit: 257

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 01:12:17 PM

This is an interesting idea, but it is far from a killer app.  I am not sure that too many people will be interested in a raffle, but the novel structure may draw a crowd.  You should try it out!  I don't know too much about programming or making websites, but it doesn't seem too difficult to make.  At the very least it will be a fun experiment.
Harry Hood

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 02:57:40 PM

I understand what you're proposing, I don't understand how this is something that people would flock to.

What need in the market does this idea meet that's not previously being met by email, twitter, other ideas, etc?

The best ideas don't come out right off the block, it usually requires a lot of revisions to get it good. Keep at it. Would love to hear what additional enhancements or explanations you make to your idea.

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6659

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2015, 03:34:07 PM

So this is basically email advertising, like what a lot of stuff in my spam box is. I think that this would be filtered by most email provider's spam filters.

Also, how would the winner be determined by the block hashes and what are the place numbers?

remotemass (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1117
Merit: 1016

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2015, 05:38:40 PM

> melody82

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement.

> What need in the market does this idea meet that's not previously being met by email, twitter, other ideas, etc?

This makes it possible to reach a crowd to spread a meme message without any effort and without being able to be
considered an abusive spammer since all are opting in for the service and welcoming it.
Also, seems quite fun. You receive an email everyday with all messages that people want to spread for a few seconds of
all the crowd attention. Pretty much as you would imagine an Email Megafone!

> Would love to hear what additional enhancements or explanations you make to your idea.

Maybe similar systems could be done with twitter or whatsapp.
Also, maybe you could be forced to click a link to acknowledge that you received the email.

>So this is basically email advertising, like what a lot of stuff in my spam box is. I think that this would be filtered by most email provider's spam filters.

If you were having fun and were interested in the service you wouldn't, supposedly, mark it as spam and your email provider would be intelligent enough to recognize your interest in this emails and messages.

>Also, how would the winner be determined by the block hashes and what are the place numbers?

Very simple math. Since you have a very large random number you can use it to shuffle the list and pick a random entry.

You divide the very large random number by the number of entries and the rest of that integer division (modulus operation) is the selected winning entry.

{Random_Hash_of_Latest_Block % number_of_entries} = selected_entrie

You keep adding entries to the list and each new entry will have an entry number that corresponds to its place in the list. Nothing fancy. You just keep adding at the end of the list all new entries and each entry will have a place and entry number. Hope it doesn't sound complicate because it really is not.

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: