Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 12:15:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cease and desist notification issued to Monero  (Read 2774 times)
celestio

Activity: 770
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 08:05:02 PM

"Moneero" is registered in a small South American country  and has no ties to "Monero" which stands for a decentralized currency. They are words in different languages, presumably, so this c n d is worthless. I believe it's all lies/fud regardless.

Doesn't matter if the words are spelled differently.  The two names are similar and fall under the same Goods and Services category.

It's like if I were to open a hamburger restaurant, and name it "Whendees"

Something interesting I saw here: http://www.coindesk.com/mt-gox-sell-bitcoin-trademark-buyer-enforce/

"Saper suggested that Tibanne was granted the bitcoin trademark because at the time, the digital currency was not well known among government officials and regulators. As a result, it’s possible that the company acquired the trademark simply because whoever approved it didn’t know that bitcoin was a generic term, she said, explaining:"

"First, because Tibanne was not the originator of the term, anyone who subsequently purchases it would have to prove that the word hadn’t entered general usage prior to time the trademark was first acquired. The word first appeared in 2009 in Satoshi Nakamoto’s original white paper."

-The word "Monero" has been around a lot longer than when "Moneero" got trademarked in 2013 and seems generic enough considering it means "coin" in the Esperanto language, so goodluck with the fake C & D. (Not much into law, just pointing it out).

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime" - Satoshi Nakamoto, June 17, 2010
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
June 13, 2015, 09:44:56 PM

"Moneero" is registered in a small South American country  and has no ties to "Monero" which stands for a decentralized currency. They are words in different languages, presumably, so this c n d is worthless. I believe it's all lies/fud regardless.

Doesn't matter if the words are spelled differently.  The two names are similar and fall under the same Goods and Services category.

examples ? that sounds like bs..

FUD first & ask questions later™
billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 12:29:21 AM

what, you came back from retirement and forgot how to fucking google something? really?

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
trollercoaster
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 12:38:46 AM

It's bullshit, there's probably hundreds of companies who have trademarked 'nxt' 'bit' 'byte' etc, monero translates to currency, it's stupid to believe this is even enforcable.
G2M

Activity: 280

Activity: 616

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 12:40:59 AM

Well, it goes like this:

"Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun."

Except if whendees started using that phrase, little oompa loompas would come out and take augustus out of the chocolate factory.

Kinda like that.

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1070

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 01:52:34 AM

I usually place cease and desist letters where they belong, in the trash.

Take action if they file a lawsuit which will probably never happen.
KennyTheMartian

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 05:31:52 AM

Far-fetched

[XMR] Monero
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 07:22:09 AM

What would they even do? File a lawsuit against who exactly? The devs? Are the devs even responsible for the name of a decentralised system?
kazuki49

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 10:06:36 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question

lordoliver
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1020

expect(brain).toHaveBeenUsed()

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 11:40:02 AM

Ridiculous. IF there was a name violation, then it would have been by moneero...
A registered trademark can be rejected easily, if someone else had already a webpage before.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2015, 03:01:35 PM

Hm, I think I returned them feedback that moneero might be confused with the Monero Project when they solicited the BitAngels mailing list in April.  

r.laverde@moneero.com
"BizDev Jedi of moneero"

Hi Antony

you know that I have recently joined the MONEERO team as their Biz Dev Jedi Wink
I am also helping with their current seed round and I wanted to ask you a favor:
Could you take a look at their pitch deck and give me your opinion?

pitch deck - full: https://view.attach.io/7yRWJf53
pitch deck - short: https://view.attach.io/7yCsMZ~a
fin. forecast: https://view.attach.io/717grfMn

It would be awesome to hear your feedback and ideas. I want to make sure they are on
track. Maybe you have also an idea whom they should be talking to?

Thanks a lot!

Rafa

A cease and desist notice is kind of a scummy move. Guy never responded to me either.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 4944

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 03:14:41 PM

Not to mention (guess I am) that even if this coin ever changes it's name it would not be a rebrand apparently the OP doesn't even know what a rebrand is.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 04:38:58 PM

It's not a loaded question. It was a genuine request for clarity. However, I've since spoken to the devs privately and they have confirmed that they are on top of the situation. It's potentially very serious, and right now it is best that the details are kept private. That said, if you have any particular concerns I'd suggest contacting the devs directly.

Yeah because that always works out nicely. /s

Not your keys, not your coins!
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 04:41:22 PM

It's not a loaded question. It was a genuine request for clarity. However, I've since spoken to the devs privately and they have confirmed that they are on top of the situation. It's potentially very serious, and right now it is best that the details are kept private. That said, if you have any particular concerns I'd suggest contacting the devs directly.

Why are you making such a fuss on bitcointalk then?

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 4944

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 04:54:14 PM

Someone has asked me to unlock this topic. So there you go.

Someone huh? Lol

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
coinits
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 05:55:55 PM

This is like someone issuing a cease and desist for someone using the word Money and the party has a trademark called Moneey.

You can't sue. Fucking stupid!

Jump you fuckers! | The thing about smart motherfuckers is they sound like crazy motherfuckers to dumb motherfuckers. | My sig space for rent for 0.01 btc per week.
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2015, 06:08:20 PM

This is like someone issuing a cease and desist for someone using the word Money and the party has a trademark called Moneey.

Mooney. Smiley

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: