Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:56:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: what do you think ?
yes, another one, please - 59 (62.1%)
it has been priced in fully by now - 36 (37.9%)
Total Voters: 94

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: another hype before halving or not ?  (Read 3475 times)
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 11:57:12 PM

during the 50-25 changeover, i expect to see the price go to at least $16.81 temporarily.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 12:07:44 AM

I strongly hope there will be a dip until then. I sold my bitcoins a little under $11 in anticipation of huge shitstorm as an aftermath of the Pirate's scam, but the market seems to be bullish.

Anyone who trades on bullshit like that deserves to get burned hard.

You'll have to clarify, what exactly is it that one *should* trade on? Is there some ethical consideration that underpins what is essentially forex trading?

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 12:13:28 AM

I strongly hope there will be a dip until then. I sold my bitcoins a little under $11 in anticipation of huge shitstorm as an aftermath of the Pirate's scam, but the market seems to be bullish.

You'll have to clarify, what exactly is it that one *should* trade on? Is there some ethical consideration that underpins what is essentially forex trading?

notme is short and wants everyone to stop buying.  Cheesy

i just went long.... really long....

notme
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 02:49:09 AM

notme is short and wants everyone to stop buying.  Cheesy

i just went long.... really long....

Not really, although I did sell some bitcoins for cash the other day to a local guy.  I'm meeting him again on Friday, so I hope the price skyrockets.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
LoweryCBS

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

firstbits 1LoCBS

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 03:49:38 AM

during the 50-25 changeover, i expect to see the price go to at least $16.81 temporarily.

What? not $16.82?
payb.tc

Activity: 812

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 05:40:17 AM

What? not $16.82?

that's crazy-talk, it couldn't possibly get that high.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 05:47:14 AM

What? not $16.82?

that's crazy-talk, it couldn't possibly get that high.

lol 16.xx...

you guys have lost already...

10million bitcoins that ALOT... NOT  Tongue

bitcoinplaza

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 01:16:07 PM

this singlar buy action bitcoin rally started few days ago around 11.10 and still in progress  Huh
he/they can't stop before 14/16/18 or better otherwise it will fail.
why is happening guys ? does anyone know that after the London conference the price increases are inevitable cause a public mass interest ?

bustaballs

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 01:44:41 PM

I'm pretty confident that the average price will go up but I'm not sure how soon after. I'm looking at somewhat long term, not just days. I'm mining off of one machine and I'm holding onto my coins and seeing what happens over at least a few months after the halving.

damnek

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 01:51:48 PM

Supposedly Ben Bernanke is going to make some announcements today. The goldbugs are expecting a massive round of QE. There hasn't been as much hype about it in the bitcoin community but I believe this is part of the reason for the current rally.

http://www.kitco.com/reports/KitcoNews20120913JW_am.html
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 01:59:25 PM

Supposedly Ben Bernanke is going to make some announcements today. The goldbugs are expecting a massive round of QE. There hasn't been as much hype about it in the bitcoin community but I believe this is part of the reason for the current rally.

Lets say we rest all other influences aside, what impact on the USD/BTC price by this round of QE do you think is possible?
damnek

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 02:11:59 PM

Lets say we rest all other influences aside, what impact on the USD/BTC price by this round of QE do you think is possible?

I have no idea.. I'm not an expert on that stuff. Since August gold has gone up from $1600 to $1730 say, while bitcoin has stayed nearly flat. There are only a handful of people here who seem to be watching the bitcoin/gold correlation. Personally, as bitcoin matures I expect that this correlation will start to look more like silver/gold, on top of the general uptrend of bitcoin. But again, I'm no expert!

edit: bitcoin hasn't really been flat of course, but you know what I mean
AbsoluteZero

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 09:45:08 PM

Price should double when rewards halves.

If it doesn't it does not mean I am wrong, it just means that the market is wrong

Smiley
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 12:01:14 AM

ASIC lowers the barrier to entry to 0.
you plug it in the wall and watch it make bitcoin.
it becomes a matter of how much money you willing to throw at your mining biz. no skills required.
this will lead to mining being more wide spread then ever b4, and profitably going to the absolute minimum.

You've got it exactly backwards.

ASIC is raising the entry barrier because you can't profit from existing hardware. How much fiat will someone be forced to spend before they can start mining.
The only skill aspect to mining has always been programming related... most users aren't writing their own pool software or their own bitstreams. So those skills don't typically belong to the miner.

I hope it will lead to wide-spread mining - that's the point of this, strengthening the network. Profitability will always be in how well you manage your investment- period. This is a different skillset that most miners have already, and it won't be affected by ASICs.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2012, 12:30:28 AM
Last edit: October 06, 2012, 12:45:10 AM by adamstgBit

ASIC lowers the barrier to entry to 0.
you plug it in the wall and watch it make bitcoin.
it becomes a matter of how much money you willing to throw at your mining biz. no skills required.
this will lead to mining being more wide spread then ever b4, and profitably going to the absolute minimum.

You've got it exactly backwards.

ASIC is raising the entry barrier because you can't profit from existing hardware. How much fiat will someone be forced to spend before they can start mining.
The only skill aspect to mining has always been programming related... most users aren't writing their own pool software or their own bitstreams. So those skills don't typically belong to the miner.

I hope it will lead to wide-spread mining - that's the point of this, strengthening the network. Profitability will always be in how well you manage your investment- period. This is a different skillset that most miners have already, and it won't be affected by ASICs.

the skill required for miners right now is.. setup this make shift computer running 100 video cards.
but NO MORE! with ASIC you just 1) buy the unit,  2) plug it in,  3) and watch it make bitcoins!  a 3 step process!

this will lead to wide-spread mining....

the more people mine the less profitable it becomes. if enough people mine... running a 100 Jalapeno can end up costing you, big time!

i would not be surprised to hear next year, that only Mini Rig 'SC' are profitable.

firefop

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 02:29:58 AM

the skill required for miners right now is.. setup this make shift computer running 100 video cards.
but NO MORE! with ASIC you just 1) buy the unit,  2) plug it in,  3) and watch it make bitcoins!  a 3 step process!

the more people mine the less profitable it becomes. if enough people mine... running a 100 Jalapeno can end up costing you, big time!

i would not be surprised to hear next year, that only Mini Rig 'SC' are profitable.

with this sort of thinking... "read a web site" & "sign up for pool membership" & "download and run cgminer" all count as skills too.

anyone who can read directions can assemble a computer or a mining rig. Sure some can do it better than others, but that's not what mining is. Mining is the daily management of your hardware, moving between pools at the correct times and maximizing profits.

Even after ASIC release some of us will still be making much more than others. Actually mining already does what you're describing... just slower.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2012, 02:37:50 AM

with this sort of thinking... "read a web site" & "sign up for pool membership" & "download and run cgminer" all count as skills too.

anyone who can read directions can assemble a computer or a mining rig. Sure some can do it better than others, but that's not what mining is. Mining is the daily management of your hardware, moving between pools at the correct times and maximizing profits.

Even after ASIC release some of us will still be making much more than others. Actually mining already does what you're describing... just slower.

the hardest part of doing anything is getting started
now that getting started is about to get a hole lot easier.
you can expect a BOOM of new miners learning to hop between pools and all that.

face it dude, ASIC = the end of your profits

also... bitcoin is about to crash like a bat out of hell... how much BTC are you sitting on, and how much do you think its worth?

firefop

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 03:24:13 AM

also... bitcoin is about to crash like a bat out of hell... how much BTC are you sitting on, and how much do you think its worth?

Honestly - I'm only sitting on about 20 btc --- the rest is cashed out once a month and put towards purchasing new hardware, paying bills and letting my wife shop.

I'm also planning to drop between 40 and 100 grand on more hardware after ASICs are in the wild and we can see what the real world numbers are.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2012, 03:35:08 AM

Honestly - I'm only sitting on about 20 btc --- the rest is cashed out once a month and put towards purchasing new hardware, paying bills and letting my wife shop.

I'm also planning to drop between 40 and 100 grand on more hardware after ASICs are in the wild and we can see what the real world numbers are.

that's cool
I'm sitting on 200.. i bought them... i don't mine cuz i figured i got in the game to late.

Why is EVERYONE so fucking rich!?  Angry

Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 06, 2012, 03:50:49 AM

that's cool
I'm sitting on 200.. i bought them... i don't mine cuz i figured i got in the game to late.

Why is EVERYONE so fucking rich!?  Angry

They all got to buy their bitcoins at $0.01  Cry
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: