Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:28:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Saying hello, and have a few questions  (Read 45068 times)
barfor

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 09:18:27 PM

Thanks for getting the ball rolling, Laszlo, history was made that day.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 09:29:46 PM

It's great to have you back, laszlo!
Only stupid people would call you stupid.
You, sir, onehandedly started the real bitcoin economy.
It doesn't matter how many coins you had or have. You had vision, and you are part of history.

Hats off to you!

Ente
laszlo (OP)

Activity: 199
Merit: 2072

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 09:52:18 PM
Merited by EFS (100), vapourminer (1)

Thanks for the kind words guys.

The pizza thing was a lot more popular than I thought so I made good on as many trades as I could.  Other than a little bit of single digit change, I spent everything I mined.  As you all know, the difficulty rises to adjust to hashing power, so eventually the mining wasn't worth it for me.

GPU mining BTC in 2010!??

As far as I know I was the first to release a GPU miner.  I contributed the hash meter back then too, that's what the screen shot was all about.  I used to maintain the Mac OS builds but others have taken that up now.  It was a fun project and I learned all about OpenCL.  I can't find the thread on the forum anymore but you can find it in my web dir ( http://eclipse.heliacal.net/~solar/bitcoin/sha256.cl ).  That was back in May 2010.  Maybe there were other people who were doing it in private too, though.  For a long time I had been looking for a reason to learn how to write a shader, and this was a great project for it.  The way I looked at it, I was helping out with an open source project, and I was making pizza with my code.

You guys will laugh now but I mined everything with an nvidia 9800 GTX+ on Mac OS (hackintosh, another scene I used to help out in).  I ended up getting 2 AMD Radeon 5970s with the bitcoins I was mining, but at the time, the OpenCL libraries from AMD and nvidia both were really buggy and I never got it to work right on more than one GPU.  The same code that would work on the nvidia on linux wouldn't work on windows and vice versa.  I was trying to make a generic OpenCL miner that everyone could run on all 3 platforms, and I spent months tweaking different kernels for each GPU, but I was also working two jobs at the time and so I never finished it.  I ended up just leaving bitcoin on the back burner for a few years, then it exploded and people started asking me about the pizza trades.  Every time the value goes up on exchanges, people email me asking me to comment on it, but really there isn't much more to tell than what I explained here.

This is the old GPU mining release I made for Mac OS, probably won't work anymore though: http://eclipse.heliacal.net/~solar/bitcoin/Bitcoin-MacOSX-Intel-svn-75-opencl-2010-05-10.dmg

BC: 157fRrqAKrDyGHr1Bx3yDxeMv8Rh45aUet
DaRude
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 1768

In order to dump coins one must have coins

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 09:58:34 PM

The pizza thing was a lot more popular than I thought so I made good on as many trades as I could.  Other than a little bit of single digit change, I spent everything I mined.  As you all know, the difficulty rises to adjust to hashing power, so eventually the mining wasn't worth it for me.

As far as I know I was the first to release a GPU miner.  I contributed the hash meter back then too, that's what the screen shot was all about.  I used to maintain the Mac OS builds but others have taken that up now.  It was a fun project and I learned all about OpenCL.  I can't find the thread on the forum anymore but you can find it in my web dir ( http://eclipse.heliacal.net/~solar/bitcoin/sha256.cl ).  That was back in May 2010.  Maybe there were other people who were doing it in private too, though.  For a long time I had been looking for a reason to learn how to write a shader, and this was a great project for it.  The way I looked at it, I was helping out with an open source project, and I was making pizza with my code.

You guys will laugh now but I mined everything with an nvidia 9800 GTX+ on Mac OS (hackintosh, another scene I used to help out in).  I ended up getting 2 AMD Radeon 5970s with the bitcoins I was mining, but at the time, the OpenCL libraries from AMD and nvidia both were really buggy and I never got it to work right on more than one GPU.  The same code that would work on the nvidia on linux wouldn't work on windows and vice versa.  I was trying to make a generic OpenCL miner that everyone could run on all 3 platforms, and I spent months tweaking different kernels for each GPU, but I was also working two jobs at the time and so I never finished it.  I ended up just leaving bitcoin on the back burner for a few years, then it exploded and people started asking me about the pizza trades.  Every time the value goes up on exchanges, people email me asking me to comment on it, but really there isn't much more to tell than what I explained here.

This is the old GPU mining release I made for Mac OS, probably won't work anymore though: http://eclipse.heliacal.net/~solar/bitcoin/Bitcoin-MacOSX-Intel-svn-75-opencl-2010-05-10.dmg

Your story was one of the first ones i head about when getting into BTC. As in you can buy pizza with this internet money.
Sucks to hear that you didn't leave few thousand BTC on some floppy somewhere.

"Feeeeed me Roger!"  -Bcash
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 10:04:01 PM

Wow!
I didn't know much more from you than the infamous pizza story. It all happened way before my time.
Well, in case you don't want to be seen as kind of a tragic bitcoin hero:
you already have more credibility than, lets say, MtGox and many of the other big bitcoin businesses. I don't know what your personal interests are these days, but whatever you do - a professional exchange, a meta-protocol, hardware, a foundation - you can be sure of a *lot* of attention.
With what I already knew of you, and the little I read now, I already stand behind you fully. In case you ever need a bunch of geeks standing behind you :-)
(I hope you don't understand this wrong. Financial success isn't the most important thing. But you sure deserve it)

Ente
Arogo

Activity: 5

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 10:15:24 PM
Last edit: February 14, 2014, 10:27:43 PM by Arogo

Laszlo you legend! Just saw the pictures for the first time. Considering the pizzas were from Papa Johns, and you shared them with your daughter, I think you should call your pizza place Papa Laszlos.

This needs to be a project on bitcoinstarter.com

For sure I'll pledge!
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 10:17:48 PM

The pizza thing was a lot more popular than I thought so I made good on as many trades as I could.  Other than a little bit of single digit change, I spent everything I mined.
I've been there, done that when I first got into Bitcoin too.  Everything I made was sold or spent.  I didn't start actually saving anything long-term until 2013.

Of course, if I was a Bitcoin millionaire, I'd probably tell people the same thing (that I had very little left), so as to make myself a less interesting hack target.  KnightMB did that with his 371,000 BTC.

The mystery always remains... Wink
InsanityDev

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 10:19:04 PM

The pizza thing was a lot more popular than I thought so I made good on as many trades as I could.  Other than a little bit of single digit change, I spent everything I mined.  As you all know, the difficulty rises to adjust to hashing power, so eventually the mining wasn't worth it for me.

As far as I know I was the first to release a GPU miner.  I contributed the hash meter back then too, that's what the screen shot was all about.  I used to maintain the Mac OS builds but others have taken that up now.  It was a fun project and I learned all about OpenCL.  I can't find the thread on the forum anymore but you can find it in my web dir ( http://eclipse.heliacal.net/~solar/bitcoin/sha256.cl ).  That was back in May 2010.  Maybe there were other people who were doing it in private too, though.  For a long time I had been looking for a reason to learn how to write a shader, and this was a great project for it.  The way I looked at it, I was helping out with an open source project, and I was making pizza with my code.

You guys will laugh now but I mined everything with an nvidia 9800 GTX+ on Mac OS (hackintosh, another scene I used to help out in).  I ended up getting 2 AMD Radeon 5970s with the bitcoins I was mining, but at the time, the OpenCL libraries from AMD and nvidia both were really buggy and I never got it to work right on more than one GPU.  The same code that would work on the nvidia on linux wouldn't work on windows and vice versa.  I was trying to make a generic OpenCL miner that everyone could run on all 3 platforms, and I spent months tweaking different kernels for each GPU, but I was also working two jobs at the time and so I never finished it.  I ended up just leaving bitcoin on the back burner for a few years, then it exploded and people started asking me about the pizza trades.  Every time the value goes up on exchanges, people email me asking me to comment on it, but really there isn't much more to tell than what I explained here.

great to see you back lazlo, and thanks from all those who wouldn't/couldn't or don't know to say it Smiley

do you remember who introduced you to bitcoin / how did you hear about it?

DaRude
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 1768

In order to dump coins one must have coins

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 10:23:40 PM

Laszlo you legend! Just saw the pictures for the first time. Considering the pizzas were from Papa Johns, and you shared them with your sondaughter, I think you should call your pizza place Papa Laszlos.

This needs to be a project on bitcoinstarter.com

For sure I'll pledge!

Pics are still in the same location for anyone interested.  I didn't trade bitcoins for the child - she's my daughter, Amy.  Only the pizza was traded.

http://eclipse.heliacal.net/~solar/bitcoin/pizza/

Good to know that you didn't trade your child for bitcoins

"Feeeeed me Roger!"  -Bcash
Chris_Sabian
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 10:57:40 PM

Thanks for getting the ball rolling, Laszlo, history was made that day.

It makes you wonder what will happen in a few years to the price.  Will bitcoin become mainstream or will it fade away as a interesting footnote in history?
Warren

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 11:17:29 PM

Welcome back Laszlo. Good to see you on the forum again. Smiley
nicopalavecino

Activity: 11

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2014, 11:19:44 PM

Lazlo I'm here to say hi and thanks!
Without you and your pizza maybe bitcoin would be in the underground forever.

Also I wanna invite you and everyone to join the biggest Bitcoin community on Google+
https://plus.google.com/communities/115591368588047305300

Thank's again!
Nico
ShawnLeary

Activity: 518
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 14, 2014, 11:24:20 PM

The pizza thing was a lot more popular than I thought so I made good on as many trades as I could. 

If you can recall, about how many of the trades did you end up doing?  I remember reading you posted that you were about done doing the trade and no longer honoring it later in the thread.

I live right off Gate Pkwy / Baymeadows East, so if you are still in J'ville, would love to buy you a beer sometime and thank you for your contribution.

"We have the power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine
asuryan180

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 12:47:53 AM

This guy had 81k btc = 97 millions $ when btc was 1200 ......

LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 12:52:35 AM

I only have one criticism...did you have to order them from Papa John's? Wasn't there a better pizza place in your location? I don't want to impugn your taste or anything, but Papa John's makes terrible pizza in my experience.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Acidyo

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 01:19:46 AM

Hehe, didn't know that u made the first gpu miner, that is pretty amazing!

If any of you could go back in time and had the mining power to mine as much btc as you wanted to, when would you stop mining, knowing the price will end up at 1250 in 4 years? When would you have enough btc to not give a fuck anymore?Smiley

kind of an ethical question.
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 01:39:51 AM

I heard from one person who bought a house with their pizza bitcoins, indirectly, by trading it for cash first.  Apparently it was a lot of hassle with the bank due to AML and just their general distaste for currencies they don't control.  I wish I could say I did the same, but the pizza didn't appreciate the same way as the bitcoins Smiley

Why don't you do a Reddit AMA? I'm sure you would get a tonne of Bitcoin donations. And Dogecoins as well.  Wink
jhansen858

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 01:41:53 AM

We have a celebrity in our midst.  I'm kicking my self over selling half my coins.  Really sucks if you didn't hold on to some at least.

Hi forum: 1DDpiEt36VTJsiJunyBc3XtG6CcSAnsQ4p
winter
Legendary

Activity: 1338
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 01:42:38 AM

one day at a time is the key to life
he wanted pizza that day and at that time the price was what he offered in BTC
simple things make people happy

Smiley
cfrm

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 01:42:58 AM

Is there any Bitcoin'er that haven't heard the pizza story? As others mentioned what he did was really important to Bitcoin in terms of PR. If it's true that lazslo really is left with nothing, then I vote for making a casual bitcoin collection to give back a little for what he's done.

If marketing ever meant a huge deal for the adoption of Bitcoin (no doubt about that),  surely the pizza story is competing for the 1st prize.

Just my 2000 bitcoins.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: