Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:45:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Saying hello, and have a few questions  (Read 45069 times)
Taras
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053

Please do not PM me loan requests!

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 01:43:05 AM

I spent it all on pizza long ago:  https://blockchain.info/address/1XPTgDRhN8RFnzniWCddobD9iKZatrvH4

3-4 years ago there were less than 100 people frequenting this forum, and I was pretty happy to trade 10,000 coins for pizza.  I mean people can say I'm stupid, but it was a great deal at the time.  I don't think anyone could have known it would take off like this. Smiley

Laszlo

Woah. Did laszlo just fucking return from the ether.  Shocked
You're a legend. An inspiration. I thought you'd be gone forever!
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
winter
Legendary

Activity: 1338
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 01:47:29 AM

Is there any Bitcoin'er that haven't heard the pizza story? As others mentioned what he did was really important to Bitcoin in terms of PR. If it's true that lazslo really is left with nothing, then I vote for making a casual bitcoin collection to give back a little for what he's done.

If marketing ever meant a huge deal for the adoption of Bitcoin (no doubt about that),  surely the pizza story is competing for the 1st prize.

Just my 2000 bitcoins.

send me 2000 of your bitcoins plz
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 02:31:27 AM

Hehe, didn't know that u made the first gpu miner, that is pretty amazing!

If any of you could go back in time and had the mining power to mine as much btc as you wanted to, when would you stop mining, knowing the price will end up at 1250 in 4 years? When would you have enough btc to not give a fuck anymore?Smiley

kind of an ethical question.

Now the juicy part: He developed a GPU miner as (one of) the first. Having a hundredfold advantage over everyone else, and over the difficulty. He didn't mine the heck out of it, he made it open source, available for everybody!

I heard from one person who bought a house with their pizza bitcoins, indirectly, by trading it for cash first.  Apparently it was a lot of hassle with the bank due to AML and just their general distaste for currencies they don't control.  I wish I could say I did the same, but the pizza didn't appreciate the same way as the bitcoins Smiley

Why don't you do a Reddit AMA? I'm sure you would get a tonne of Bitcoin donations. And Dogecoins as well.  Wink

+1000!

Ente
quarkfx

Activity: 396
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 03:09:40 AM

Today people are laughing about the trade and how you could be a millionaire if you would have just held the BTC.

The point is: without the people that spended the money, BTC wouldn´t have established as payment system and the price would probably be less than in "the old times"

I really think you should do the AMA on reddit, laszlo. Not to earn money (although that would happen) - I think there are more people who would like to interview you.

Oh...and yes, please open a Pizza place Wink
rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 07:28:01 AM

I spent it all on pizza long ago:  https://blockchain.info/address/1XPTgDRhN8RFnzniWCddobD9iKZatrvH4

3-4 years ago there were less than 100 people frequenting this forum, and I was pretty happy to trade 10,000 coins for pizza.  I mean people can say I'm stupid, but it was a great deal at the time.  I don't think anyone could have known it would take off like this. Smiley

Laszlo

First thing i'll say is you acquire a " Celebrity Status " in this forum.
No one is saying you stupid, Even if i was on your place @ that point of time , i wouldn't have cared that much about bitcoins, because i njoy pizza too.  if bitcoin  goes up again and touches the mark many expecting it to touch  i hope you won't get pissed off on yourself, but in the history of bitcoins your name will be there forever. Just wanna ask is there is anyone yet who interviewed you.. ?

bitjoint

Activity: 333

Commander of the Hodl Legions

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 10:38:16 AM

Nice to see you're back laszlo! You're a true pioneer making that first or second bitcoin deal (I think I read somewhere that sirius did actually the first one). Anyways, it was a necessary step that sparked all this movement... Hope to see you here more frequently!

Cheers
boumalo
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 12:27:00 PM

Apparently you don't receive that many donations on your adress 157fRrqAKrDyGHr1Bx3yDxeMv8Rh45aUet : 3 in 2013 and 3 in 2014, you should receive more

Thanks for coming back and sharing your thoughts, this is an amazing story

From this 2010 post https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=564.0 : "I have only 600 bitcoins, virtually all generated last week.  I missed the bus"

Chris_Sabian
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 05:46:22 PM

I spent it all on pizza long ago:  https://blockchain.info/address/1XPTgDRhN8RFnzniWCddobD9iKZatrvH4

3-4 years ago there were less than 100 people frequenting this forum, and I was pretty happy to trade 10,000 coins for pizza.  I mean people can say I'm stupid, but it was a great deal at the time.  I don't think anyone could have known it would take off like this. Smiley

Laszlo

Hi Laszlo

I first learned of bitcoin in March 2013 and it has changed my life.  The pizza deal has become legendary and it was a turning point in bitcoin history.  Thanks for doing it.  I would like to order you some pizza as a 'thank you' for helping make the bitcoin idea a reality.

No bitcoins required Smiley

Chris
EFS
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 2068

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 05:57:36 PM

Welcome back Bitcoin Hall of Famer! I hope we can see you more around here. Opening a pizzeria is a good idea you should consider. It could be a meeting place for Bitcoiners. Smiley

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 07:09:56 PM

At the time, Gavin had a bitcoin 'faucet' that gave out bitcoins for free, and a few people were trading them for less than a cent each, but nothing serious.  You can probably find all the old posts on this forum still.  I was learning OpenCL programming and mining bitcoins with a video card so the pizza was a good deal for me.  I couldn't have known that my pizza trade would end up being such a big deal, or that so many others would become interested in bitcoin and thus drive the value up.  The people I traded with didn't know it was going to explode either, they just took a risk - spending their 'real' money to buy some guy pizza in exchange for some internet Monopoly money. 

Laszlo

Without things like this, bitcoins would still be worthless...trade = spreading coins to more users; the broader the user base, the more valuable bitcoins become.

Thank you for pioneering Laszlo! And for protecting our nascent network so that it had a chance to grow up!

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 15, 2014, 09:11:13 PM

Your story, laszlo, was one of the first I heard about Bitcoin. I still tell people about it. It just blows their minds.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2014, 11:37:29 PM

It seems like laszlo is same laszlo that made very good custom os for htc Smiley
DubFX

Activity: 434

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 03:12:11 PM

So you even relased first GPU miner...dude you should get hellalot tips!
PGPpfKkx

Activity: 586
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 08:47:43 PM

I think that laszlo should get free pizza once per week for lifetime either from a pizzeria as a promotion or from wealthy bitcoiners (me not included, i sold it all in 2011 Smiley
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126

View Profile
February 16, 2014, 10:17:00 PM

I think that laszlo should get free pizza once per week for lifetime either from a pizzeria as a promotion or from wealthy bitcoiners (me not included, i sold it all in 2011 Smiley

If we find a reliable and trustworthy mechanism for this - I'm in!

Ente
Sonny

Activity: 868

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 02:51:08 AM

I spent it all on pizza long ago:  https://blockchain.info/address/1XPTgDRhN8RFnzniWCddobD9iKZatrvH4

3-4 years ago there were less than 100 people frequenting this forum, and I was pretty happy to trade 10,000 coins for pizza.  I mean people can say I'm stupid, but it was a great deal at the time.  I don't think anyone could have known it would take off like this. Smiley

Laszlo

OMG!! The legendary pizza buyer is back!!!  Grin
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 03:04:25 AM

welcome back Laszlo. Grin

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

achillez

Activity: 874

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 09:44:32 AM

welcome back Lazslo - good to see you on the forum. Maybe we should start a fund to give you back some of your pizza BTC Wink
drrussellshane

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 02:20:25 PM

Welcome back Lazslo!

a hat tip to you sir.

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2014, 03:34:00 PM

welcome back Lazslo - good to see you on the forum. Maybe we should start a fund to give you back some of your pizza BTC Wink

I'd gladly drop mBTC100 into that, provided I'm certain many others are equally willing to contribute!

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: