Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:49:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin Revolution  (Read 2826 times)
Exponere Mendaces (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 06:29:53 PM

Bitcoin is nothing less than a binary revolution. It is a statement of purpose that embodies the sentiment "Don't tread on me". We're tired of endless ineffective regulation, a body of law that only protects the top 1% of the wealth-holders in the country, while fee structures and arbitrary transaction policies push common citizens to the brink of poverty.

Bitcoin is the upthrust fist of all internet citizens who simply wish to live their lives without needless interference. The existing banking system has become a defective node that will be routed around, if you don't 'talk' Bitcoin, we won't understand you or need you.

By running the Bitcoin client, you are telling the existing financial system you don't need them anymore. They've become the inefficient middleman in an increasingly networked world. The buggy-whip makers in the age of the automobile, the "dead tree" news distribution dinosaur gasping its last breath in the freewheeling ecosystem of blogs and up-to-the-second news sites.

Financial policy and regulations are now decided by who has the most money to contribute, the best lobbyists, public relations flacks and speechwriters. Monetary decisions are made by men who have never earned minimum wages beyond their teen years -- if ever, and never have had to live hand-to-mouth just to survive.

They can't relate, because simply - they don't have to. Bitcoin users know this, which is why the collective will to bootstrap the system and change the world has surged throughout the internet, filtered down to the most remote nodes and places on the planet. We've seen the financial disaster of 2008 unfold, seen the lack of regulation enforcement, the greed and corruption, and we've had enough.

It took the pendulum of greed and corruption swinging through the country like a wrecking ball, destroying lives and homes as the sub-prime monster fed on financial ignorance and bank-enabled butchery, to fuel our growing discontent. Watching the talking heads on popular news programs, announcing another round of congressional interrogation proved ultimately futile, to feed our belligerence.

It is time to take up the standard, hoist the digital flag high and cry out "NO MORE!". It is time to take hold of your own destiny and financial future by deciding for yourself where to put your trust. In each other, not a financial system that benefits the few at the expense of the whole.

They have awakened a large slumbering giant, and we will utterly change the face of finance.

1AsJaJ2AKuYySfKnjDczxoZsNekaY18NJD
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 06:32:01 PM

Bitcoin is nothing less than a binary revolution. It is a statement of purpose that embodies the sentiment "Don't tread on me". We're tired of endless ineffective regulation, a body of law that only protects the top 1% of the wealth-holders in the country, while fee structures and arbitrary transaction policies push common citizens to the brink of poverty.

Bitcoin is the upthrust fist of all internet citizens who simply wish to live their lives without needless interference. The existing banking system has become a defective node that will be routed around, if you don't 'talk' Bitcoin, we won't understand you or need you.

By running the Bitcoin client, you are telling the existing financial system you don't need them anymore. They've become the inefficient middleman in an increasingly networked world. The buggy-whip makers in the age of the automobile, the "dead tree" news distribution dinosaur gasping its last breath in the freewheeling ecosystem of blogs and up-to-the-second news sites.

Financial policy and regulations are now decided by who has the most money to contribute, the best lobbyists, public relations flacks and speechwriters. Monetary decisions are made by men who have never earned minimum wages beyond their teen years -- if ever, and never have had to live hand-to-mouth just to survive.

They can't relate, because simply - they don't have to. Bitcoin users know this, which is why the collective will to bootstrap the system and change the world has surged throughout the internet, filtered down to the most remote nodes and places on the planet. We've seen the financial disaster of 2008 unfold, seen the lack of regulation enforcement, the greed and corruption, and we've had enough.

It took the pendulum of greed and corruption swinging through the country like a wrecking ball, destroying lives and homes as the sub-prime monster fed on financial ignorance and bank-enabled butchery, to fuel our growing discontent. Watching the talking heads on popular news programs, announcing another round of congressional interrogation proved ultimately futile, to feed our belligerence.

It is time to take up the standard, hoist the digital flag high and cry out "NO MORE!". It is time to take hold of your own destiny and financial future by deciding for yourself where to put your trust. In each other, not a financial system that benefits the few at the expense of the whole.

They have awakened a large slumbering giant, and we will utterly change the face of finance.

1AsJaJ2AKuYySfKnjDczxoZsNekaY18NJD
I find the bolded portion ironic, considering the advocation of bitcoins in this post.

But otherwise, I like it.  Smiley
adrian33

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 06:38:09 PM

Nice.

Are you running for parliament?

robmon

Activity: 12

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 06:45:34 PM

I like what I read, and I agree with everything you say.

Don't tread on me!

Cool
Indemnified

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 07:08:11 PM

Please check your wallet for my contribution (I was inspired ny your words and would like to see more of them)
Exponere Mendaces (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 07:29:23 PM

@SgtSpike

I see your point, but I meant it in the context of failure, not supporting regulation of finance. Just an example of the systemic flaws inherent in the existing structure.

@adrian33

I'm not running for any office, I'm afraid. I'd also go further to say that anyone who actively pursues politics probably shouldn't be allowed to attain any position of power. The best decision makers are those reluctantly given the task, not those seeking control.

@robmon

Appreciate your response, thank you.

@Indemnified

Thank you, I shall check my client for the confirmations. It also inspires me to continue contributing to the cause.

Cheers,

Exponere Mendaces
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 07:59:21 PM

Fair enough Exponere, fair enough.  Wink
PLATO

Activity: 493
Merit: 250

Don't trust "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange"

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 08:46:54 PM

Bitcoin is just another tool, like OpenTransactions, opencongress.org, mondonet or Twitter. We have to start putting all these tools and all the pertinent knowledge into a single context in order to really effect change.

When I'm done with my Bitcoin Roadtrip, I will be doing just that with my Subverse project. Details to follow, start idling in ##subverse on chat.freenode.net

All posts by me after 2012 were a compromised account. Probably by "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange". SORRY Y'ALL
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 09:03:59 PM

The failure of the system have everything with the failure of selecting the right elites. There will always be elites, but what are their incentives and what it is possible for them to accomplish?

Wel, we select them through a true democractic process, but the Democratic system assume that an educated populace that's well informed on a variety of issues is possible or that expert politicians who know everything about any policy issues is possible.

Knowledge in the real world is dispersed and distributed throughout the whole population. Nobody knows how to make a pencil, because everybody only knows part of it on how to make pencil. This is true, probably for all goods and services you can think of.

As a result of our collective unpooled ignorance, we are not able to effectively select politicians for the job. As a result of how our government is arranged, the politicians regularly make laws about things they don't know about. As a result of pure impossibilities, there are no politicians that know enough to decide on a diverse range of issue.

PLATO

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 09:18:52 PM

kiba - i'll write up a detailed pdf when I have time but this is how Subverse will solve this problem.

Step 1: Create a global web of trust, by using cell phone apps/web apps as GPG front ends. Make this super useful by creating useful trust based services. Imagine if couchsurfing used this global WOT, or a rideshare network

Step 2: Create a [distributed?] social network where users (i.e. gpg identities) can communicate anonymously
 2a: figure out how to reward the people who code this - fivegrinder/youtipit

Step 3: Share, analyze subversive data. Leverage GPG trust data to weed out shill accounts and reward honest accounts.

Step 4: go viral, giving everyone free red pills

Step 5: let Subverse users vote for each other to replace some of the current powers that be

I think I'm gonna set up a company on GLBSX to make this happen. Funding will be needed for coding the pieces of this and a lot of feedback will be needed too. I'm (obviously, haha) willing to live a fairly spartan life so if i can get a living wage in Bitcoins I'll devote all of my time to this. Best way you can help now is to idle in ##subverse on chat.freenode.net

All posts by me after 2012 were a compromised account. Probably by "BBOD The Best Futures Exchange". SORRY Y'ALL
adrian33

Activity: 118

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 10:04:21 AM

I'm not running for any office, I'm afraid. I'd also go further to say that anyone who actively pursues politics probably shouldn't be allowed to attain any position of power. The best decision makers are those reluctantly given the task, not those seeking control.

If you stand by the ideals you had when you started politics you should be okay. It's like when journalists start writing for themselves and forget about their audience. This is what Rupert Murdoch has said.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 10:49:37 AM

The revolution will not be televised? ... it will be in the minds and on the net?

Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 11:39:50 AM

Could these sorts of threads be moved to the politics&society forum please? I know it's kind of a blurry line, but it makes it harder to find discussions of non-political stuff if they're all lumped together.
Exponere Mendaces (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 03:36:50 PM

Mr. Hearn, I apologize if this was in the wrong category, I'm a very avid supporter of bitcoin and perhaps selected the wrong sub-forum.

I'll try to be more discerning in the future.

Cheers,

Exponere Mendaces
Wreckus

Activity: 23

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 04:08:54 PM

The revolution will not be televised? ... it will be in the minds and on the net?

and whitey is still on the moon...
datguywhowanders

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 04:23:17 PM

Loved this post and hope to see more in the future.

Donations Welcome: 163id7T8KZ6MevqT86DjrBF2kfCPrQsfZE
PLATO

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 05:58:38 PM

Exponere -

Would you vote for someone who ran on a platform of "I won't meet with lobbyists for any purpose. Instead, my constituents can use online tools like Google Moderator to make a more democratic process."

Exponere Mendaces (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 10:40:46 PM

@PLATO

Anything that removes finance as a factor in policy making would be an improvement. I personally believe it is one of the biggest problems in our society, where monetized influence is accepted without much argument or debate.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: