Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:21:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Explaining Bitcoin to regular people  (Read 3558 times)
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 12:25:55 AM

I just tried explaining BTC to an old person IRL.  They don't believe that anything that you can't hold in your hand has any value.  The example of chinese people mining gold in WoW as a full time job didn't phase them.

Generally speaking, this is because people think that there is something backing the dollar, or whatever.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Coma (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 12:49:13 PM

I just tried explaining BTC to an old person IRL.  They don't believe that anything that you can't hold in your hand has any value.  The example of chinese people mining gold in WoW as a full time job didn't phase them.

Generally speaking, this is because people think that there is something backing the dollar, or whatever.

I believe that one of the benefits of Bitcoins over traditional currencies is that it pushes you to actively find out what is it about. Traditional currencies are considered "given" and taken for granted. Maybe with a more concious population Greece, Ireland and US crisis wouldn't have happened at all.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 10:52:54 PM

I believe that one of the benefits of Bitcoins over traditional currencies is that it pushes you to actively find out what is it about. Traditional currencies are considered "given" and taken for granted. Maybe with a more concious population Greece, Ireland and US crisis wouldn't have happened at all.

Yeah dream on. History shows us that the vast majority of people are sheep who see only what's right in front of them and are very susceptible to trickery and fraud. If you are right and people could understand how the fiat money hurts them, they would have never given up the privilege to own real money in the first place. If and when Bitcoin will be used by these general types it won't be because they understand it like we early supporters do but because they see others use an trust it. And you can count on it.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Frozenlock

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 11:10:58 PM

Yeah dream on. History shows us that the vast majority of people are sheep who see only what's right in front of them and are very susceptible to trickery and fraud. If you are right and people could understand how the fiat money hurts them, they would have never given up the privilege to own real money in the first place. If and when Bitcoin will be used by these general types it won't be because they understand it like we early supporters do but because they see others use an trust it. And you can count on it.

+1

If someone doesn't already understand the difference between fiat and gold, don't bother.
just_someguy

Activity: 125

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 11:22:09 PM

I've had a hard enough time explaining it to people who are software developers with crypto backgrounds.
Common folk have no chance.

When I do try to explain it I have to basically simplify it to the point that what I'm saying is completely incorrect.

I leave out the part that only a fraction of the 21M exist.
Then I just say there is a closed system of 21M tokens that will not get larger and they are spent by encrypting them to someone else.

None of that is correct but its the closest I can get without having peoples eyes glaze over.
mikewillz

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

Everything Mike Willz (Skype Mike_Willz) Google Me

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2011, 11:40:29 PM

I've had a hard enough time explaining it to people who are software developers with crypto backgrounds.
Common folk have no chance.

When I do try to explain it I have to basically simplify it to the point that what I'm saying is completely incorrect.

I leave out the part that only a fraction of the 21M exist.
Then I just say there is a closed system of 21M tokens that will not get larger and they are spent by encrypting them to someone else.

None of that is correct but its the closest I can get without having peoples eyes glaze over.

+1

It's a doozie for all those Zombies out there I tell ya. I just want them to stay sleep a lil while longer, so mt. gox and dwolla won't be so backed up.

BTC: 1hHjrmxLQWJZPjfsQuPpftNHH6WBuAmbN

P.S: This is unreal.....
Karmicads

Activity: 185
Merit: 112

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 12:08:46 AM

"it's like PayPal without the fees."

easy.  (forget who first said that - sorry.  it wasn't me.)

It kinda reminds me of the Einstein quote explaining how radio works.

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."

--Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio.

Long cat is looooooooooooong.  Wink
Lynzoi

Activity: 58
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 12:22:33 AM

I describe it as a new form of electronic currency. Most don't get it, but the real problem is, most people simply don't care. Before someone can understand Bitcoin, they need to understand money. Most people simply do not understand money... at all. Think about how many people spend recklessly and have tons of debt thanks to their habit of buying stupid things. They don't care enough to develop any coherent thoughts about money. Only someone who understands that money has no basis in reality will understand that it's okay for money to be based on data. It's not the tech savvy who will understand Bitcoin, it's the finance savvy people who are most likely to get it. There's no need to explain the cryptography to anyone. Most people use email, yet they know nothing about the mechanics of email. It doesn't matter.

The biggest problem I had was explaining this to my dad. When I first told him I spent $40 on Bitcoin, he reacted like I had been indoctrinated by a cult that incinerates money for fun. Eventually I got through to him, which is important because I'm still young/irresponsible enough to financially leech off of my parents. My mother, on the other hand, understood and liked Bitcoin immediately, despite the fact that my Dad is an extremely good computer programmer and my mom's not a programmer at all. I think it's because my dad has poor investment sense, unlike my mom.

I managed to get two of my close friends into Bitcoin so far. The first one understood immediately but did not find it interesting. He only started to like it when he realized Bitcoin could "finally take down the government." The second one struggled to understand and still doesn't get it, despite multiple attempts on my part to explain the basics of economics to him. He started mining, hoping it would make him rich, but he still believes Bitcoin is a bubble, or better yet a ponzi scheme. Some people...

I made several facebook status updates about it and nobody cares. I guess facebook only cares when I post links to hilarious videos. Someone make a hilarious Bitcoin video please.

1HX4zSn3yQpVH3v9Sv5TNwMqbfXoBbMuNf
Coma (OP)

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 02:54:53 AM

I think that we need to address this. It's our responsability. I think the introduction video could be more accurate in some aspects.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: