Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 05:03:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Putting Scammers On Notice  (Read 1380 times)
j0kie_smurf (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 07:20:40 PM

I've been a developer for many years. A friend encouraged me to look into Bitcoin. Well, crypto currency in general really. I've been reading through forums, looking at sources from both Sourceforge and Github, compiling libraries and trying to keep up on current news and trends involving crypto currency. I do like many of the features offered by various coins. I think that crypto currency has a big future. What I don't like is how many scam artists have sprung up. I'm also not impressed by the "developers" who just copy and pasted someone else's code into a compiler and did nothing but change some names to attempt to look different. I've noticed that there are also poorly coded coins and wallets. Mostly made by scam artists, "skids" and thieves hoping to make a quick dollar at everyone else's expense.

I think the crypto (SHA256) is ok, but several coins actually only use the library. They hash out to 32 bit and 64 bit strings and do not actually use 256 bit strings. The hasher leaves unused bits of data in your RAM that can quickly build up and max out resource consumption. This can be solved with a simple flush added. The encryption however needs to be written out to the full 256 bit strings. The chunker also falls short in some coins, actually only converting 60 bits of the 64 bits it will output. Which leaves 4 bits "in limbo". These bits may be simply hashed with the previous bit, making the last chunk actually 5 bits, rather than 1. It may also just pass the data unencrypted. I've seen some coins that are addressing the issue, but many coins are not.

Using IRC for node detection is not a bad idea. However, the channels used for many coins leave data unencrypted and vulnerable. The wallets actually seed your information. It publicly posts your I.P. address and user information and makes a log file. The IRC channels must be maintained on a regular basis or else everyone whose wallet uses that channel is at serious risk. Not to mention that if the owner of the server shuts it down, you have a wallet that is worthless until fixed. Because the IRC server seeds your wallet and information, the owner of the server can take coins out of your wallet if they wanted to. Or even set up so that others to do the dirty work, while giving the appearance that they had no idea what happened. Not all of the IRC connections used are fraudulent. But any use of IRC is a vulnerability if not back-ended properly, and not put on a secure server, on a secure network, operated by a trusted network administrator on a domain that is actively maintained.

I'll be posting screen captures from source and articles designed to point out the good stuff and the bad. I have been doing extensive testing and debugging, in hopes of improving and optimizing crypto currency/wallets. I would like to also bring the light of day to scams and schemes designed to steal from you. I'm very sure that all the wrong people will be angry that I've gotten involved. I'm sure that they have friends that they will try to get involved, in an effort to "scare" me away. Good luck with that. I like the technology and the potential for innovations and pioneering technologies. there are good people in the community that should not have to deal with so many scams and liars. Where there is money, there are thieves. Hard to get rid of them all. But if we can make it more difficult for them to steal and more difficult for them to pull of scams, then the community will prosper more.

When dealing with "developers", if they ask for money upfront, it's a scam. If you are a developer, then you already have the IDE and any software libraries needed. You have already worked on a similar project and are familiar with the rules and regulations, what clients expect and you know how to be professional. Any deviation from this is a red flag. Only liars, thieves, scammers and frauds want money up front for what they claim is the cost of starting the project. Or they "run out of code" as I heard tell once. How do you run out of code? Who in their right mind believed them when they said that? People make mistakes. Nothing wrong with making a mistake. Learning from said mistake is what matters more. Many people in the community cannot read code and do not know exactly what went into development. So it's easy for the fraud developer to say whatever they want. You really don't know if what they say is true or not. So you just take them at their word. And then they take your money and run.

As I continue to delve into the sources of many coins and wallet types, I will be posting all of my research findings to this forum, as well as others. The more informed and educated the community gets, the better prepared it will be to deal with threats. I've been at this a very long time. I've dealt with skids and scammers before, on many occasions. None of them have lasted long after I put them on blast. Any scammers on this forum, you are on notice. I'm going to show everyone exactly what kind of scum you are. Which will allow the legitimate developers to do the work they need to do. And allow the community to get a better product and a better experience.
runpaint

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 07:58:56 PM

Feces just got real

GoldenCryptoCommod.com
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2070
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 08:19:17 PM

It's never to late. Welcome to the crypto madness.

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
Sourgummies

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 08:40:08 PM

Your going to out fake/scammer developers? I got a short attention span,sorry! Huh
EvilDave

Activity: 854
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 09:28:46 PM

***snipped***

When dealing with "developers", if they ask for money upfront, it's a scam. If you are a developer, then you already have the IDE and any software libraries needed. You have already worked on a similar project and are familiar with the rules and regulations, what clients expect and you know how to be professional. Any deviation from this is a red flag. Only liars, thieves, scammers and frauds want money up front for what they claim is the cost of starting the project. Or they "run out of code" as I heard tell once. How do you run out of code? Who in their right mind believed them when they said that? People make mistakes. Nothing wrong with making a mistake. Learning from said mistake is what matters more. Many people in the community cannot read code and do not know exactly what went into development. So it's easy for the fraud developer to say whatever they want. You really don't know if what they say is true or not. So you just take them at their word. And then they take your money and run.

***snipped***

That is a pretty hardcore viewpoint, and one that probably won't get you many friends round here.
Don't get me wrong, I'm in agreement with the general tone of your argument, but applying that rule leads to the conclusion that some very high-profile crypto projects are scams.........IPO/ICO structures have been very common in crypto over the last year.

Nulli Dei, nulli Reges, solum NXT
Love your money: www.nxt.org  www.ardorplatform.org
www.nxter.org  www.nxtfoundation.org
Sourgummies

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 09:32:31 PM

Im not a developer but it came across more like he was going to trash the competition. Proof would be needed or its pure mud slinging and it will get dirty.
tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 09:34:55 PM

In short, you will be providing the community with information on scam devs, good stuff it can only help us all.
j0kie_smurf (OP)

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 10:12:36 PM

I'm not here for friends. I'm here to clean up the mess. Or at least attempt to. Obviously there are already trolls trying to claim I'm a scammer. To hide the fact that they are scoundrels, liars and thieves. You will refute facts based on source. You will refute facts based on cited references. You will lie, you will argue and you will debase anyone who does not go along with your lies and nonsense. So say what you will. Facts will prove who is full of it and who is not. Facts will prove who is the scumbag and who is not.
 So argue, complain, cry to whomever you think will listen. I don't care. Hell, I recommend you go ask around about me. Or just go ahead and be the brainless dolts I know you to be and make it even easier for me to humiliate you in public. I won't hide. I don't run. And best of all, you don't know anyone good enough to take me on.

And to you who claim that my statement about devs who try to collect money upfront is harsh, it's a fact. Either you're one of the scum who steal from honest people, or you're just seriously misinformed about how programming works. Especially with FREE, OPEN SOURCE software that does not cost a dime to get or to use.
johncarpe64

Activity: 420

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 10:17:42 PM

You're missing a donation address on your post. Just wasted my time reading this BS
Propulsion

Activity: 658

The Buck Stops Here.

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 10:20:37 PM

You're missing a donation address on your post. Just wasted my time reading this BS

Is there a TL;DR?
Sourgummies

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 10:40:55 PM

I'm not here for friends. I'm here to clean up the mess. Or at least attempt to. Obviously there are already trolls trying to claim I'm a scammer. To hide the fact that they are scoundrels, liars and thieves. You will refute facts based on source. You will refute facts based on cited references. You will lie, you will argue and you will debase anyone who does not go along with your lies and nonsense. So say what you will. Facts will prove who is full of it and who is not. Facts will prove who is the scumbag and who is not.
 So argue, complain, cry to whomever you think will listen. I don't care. Hell, I recommend you go ask around about me. Or just go ahead and be the brainless dolts I know you to be and make it even easier for me to humiliate you in public. I won't hide. I don't run. And best of all, you don't know anyone good enough to take me on.

And to you who claim that my statement about devs who try to collect money upfront is harsh, it's a fact. Either you're one of the scum who steal from honest people, or you're just seriously misinformed about how programming works. Especially with FREE, OPEN SOURCE software that does not cost a dime to get or to use.

The best intentions are often over ran by ones emotions.
CoinStarX

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 100+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 01:31:35 AM

All this coming from a newbi account makes it feel somehow weak. Buyer be ware. Don't spend money you cannot afford to or can't live life without.

G2M

Activity: 280

Activity: 616

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 01:34:34 AM

$5 says this bitch can't come up with a dime Cheesy

Wind picked up: F4BC1F4BC0A2A1C4

banditryandloot goin2mars kbm keyboard-mash theusualstuff

probably a few more that don't matter for much.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 01:43:55 AM

A donation based FLOSS development model combined with POW emission has the major advantage of minimising regulatory risk. My take is that the SEC and FinCEN will have field day with many a IPO/ICO coin where emission is used to fund development. Ripple Labs is just the first of many to come.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
kjadB

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 03:22:12 AM

A better service to the community might be to put your skills towards identifying the developers who are genuine & talented.

Spotting scammers is probably easier than spotting talent, at least at the beginning
tss

Activity: 742

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 05:57:49 AM

blah blah blah.  be advised im going to call all of you out on your bullshit and no one will listen as i'm new and have no idea what im talking about.
iWokeUpLate

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 11:27:35 AM

I just read until the 3rd paragraph and done. You wasted my time. Make me a time machine IMO.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2015, 11:39:23 AM

A better service to the community might be to put your skills towards identifying the developers who are genuine & talented.

Spotting scammers is probably easier than spotting talent, at least at the beginning

Yes, this would be moving more towards the direction of positive change.
TrueAnon
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 07:04:40 PM

OP good job.
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 07:29:49 PM

just want to make it clear this guy/account who posted this topic is NOT me !

it is a long winded speel (what I am known for around here) LOL

I still only have 1 account and have never logged into another account name aside from this one. (not even 1 time !)

FUD first & ask questions later™
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: