Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:56:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: address is gone  (Read 2421 times)
Bitcoin Buyer Reload (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 09:56:28 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2015, 01:29:22 AM by Bitcoin Buyer Reload

I created an electrum wallet.

someone sent me 5btc to the address i found in : receiving address

now i closed my electrum, when i opened it again, the address is gone. i dont see the address anymore. leaves my electrum with 0btc.

please badly need help.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 10:08:07 PM

You'll probably get faster and more useful answers if you move this thread to the Electrum sub-forum.

You can do this with the "Move Topic" link at the bottom of the thread on the left.

thanks. badly need help now.

it was electrum to electrum transaction.

the guy says it sent to the address, i checked, and he sent. but now cant find the address on my electrum, and my wallet says 0btc

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2015, 11:02:34 PM

You'll probably get faster and more useful answers if you move this thread to the Electrum sub-forum.

You can do this with the "Move Topic" link at the bottom of the thread on the left.

the guy says it sent to the address, i checked, and he sent. but now cant find the address on my electrum, and my wallet says 0btc

#1 calm down and dont do anything you might regret later.
#2 the address in question has received the funds[1]
#3 some questions:
- do you have a backup from the seed?
- which electrum version are you using?
- is your electrum client connected (big green circle in the lower right corner)?
- is the address listed under the addresses tab? You might have to change the little pulldown menu in the bottom bar to "All accounts" to see your addresses.

[1] https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/address/1M2s5jnkspK82fyiJ1stzG8SDdPhuYcbKP

Im not really here, its just your imagination.

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 11:24:52 PM

#1 calm down and dont do anything you might regret later.
#2 the address in question has received the funds[1]
#3 some questions:
- do you have a backup from the seed?
- which electrum version are you using?
- is your electrum client connected (big green circle in the lower right corner)?
- is the address listed under the addresses tab? You might have to change the little pulldown menu in the bottom bar to "All accounts" to see your addresses.

[1] https://www.blocktrail.com/BTC/address/1M2s5jnkspK82fyiJ1stzG8SDdPhuYcbKP

yes the address received the funds i saw it.

back up = no. but i do have the seed phrase if thats what you meant.

electrum 2.3.2

yes it has the green circle and its connected.

i have a lot of addresses generated by default on the address tab, but the problem is::

- took address from : receive
- gave the guy
-sent the btc
- saw btc on the address in my wallet
-closed wallet
- open wallet
- address is gone, i dont see the address anymore on the wallet itself. the rest of the addresses are there

thank you for replying i was hoping someone could help me out. 5btc is huge money for me Sad

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 01:00:57 AM

What is your xpub key? Note, posting this information will cause anyone who sees this to be able to see any transaction that you have ever received or sent with this electrum wallet.

To find your xpub key:
From electrum, click on wallet --> master public keys

The, what seems to be random numbers and letters starting with 'xpub' is your xpub key, it is essentially all of your public addresses that your current electrum wallet will ever have

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 01:32:24 AM

What is your xpub key? Note, posting this information will cause anyone who sees this to be able to see any transaction that you have ever received or sent with this electrum wallet.

To find your xpub key:

The, what seems to be random numbers and letters starting with 'xpub' is your xpub key, it is essentially all of your public addresses that your current electrum wallet will ever have

xpub661MyMwAqRbcG4Zg5StpKUsFfHxTRfMhJ8FqvUwaGonnQZhs9csTtGpFPhheKUg3g46wGtpzvJX fMAMgrzrd5HHHmRmpE4p1CzFcgcgHcqE
i think i knw what i did wrong.

on receiving address it was default check that the address will expire in 1hour i didnt know about that. any help to recover my address please ? Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 01:50:49 AM

To find your xpub key:

xpub661MyMwAqRbcG4Zg5StpKUsFfHxTRfMhJ8FqvUwaGonnQZhs9csTtGpFPhheKUg3g46wGtpzvJX fMAMgrzrd5HHHmRmpE4p1CzFcgcgHcqE

on receiving address it was default check that the address will expire in 1hour i didnt know about that. any help to recover my address please ? Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
That xpub key does not show any transactions whatsoever into any address associated with that wallet.

I have personally never used the receive tab, but instead would copy an address in the receiving, so I am really not familiar with what the expire dropdown actually does. However my knowledge about how electrum works out need me to believe that if you were to select "one hour" when receiving a payment, that electrum will not give you that address to request a payment again for one hour if it has not received a payment yet. I can say with a good amount of certainty that it is not going to in any way "forget" the associated private key.

After testing this feature a little bit, it appears that I am correct above. Electrum will never tell you to request a payment to an address that you have previously sent to, so setting an expiration of one hour would result in electrum to not request an additional payment to that address for one hour even if it has not yet received a payment to that address.

Are you sure that you did not accidentally create a new wallet sometime after you received that 5 BTC

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 01:58:45 AM

To find your xpub key:

That xpub key does not show any transactions whatsoever into any address associated with that wallet.

I have personally never used the receive tab, but instead would copy an address in the receiving, so I am really not familiar with what the expire dropdown actually does. However my knowledge about how electrum works out need me to believe that if you were to select "one hour" when receiving a payment, that electrum will not give you that address to request a payment again for one hour if it has not received a payment yet. I can say with a good amount of certainty that it is not going to in any way "forget" the associated private key.

After testing this feature a little bit, it appears that I am correct above. Electrum will never tell you to request a payment to an address that you have previously sent to, so setting an expiration of one hour would result in electrum to not request an additional payment to that address for one hour even if it has not yet received a payment to that address.

Are you sure that you did not accidentally create a new wallet sometime after you received that 5 BTC

after i see that the wallet has made the address of 5btc dissapear, i created a new wallet saved as wallet_2

i lost the money right?

going to shoot myself  Undecided
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 02:00:39 AM

To find your xpub key:

after i see that the wallet has made the address of 5btc dissapear, i created a new wallet saved as wallet_2

i lost the money right?

going to shoot myself  Undecided
What do you see when you click file --> open on electrum? In theory, the other wallet should be saved in the folder that electrum will open from by default
Netpyder

Activity: 196

Scam / Scammer Hunter

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2015, 02:32:47 AM

What do you see when you click file --> open on electrum? In theory, the other wallet should be saved in the folder that electrum will open from by default

i dont think that would made any change. pm'd op earlier on

he said he opened every wallet dat he saved.

the problem is once the bitcoins were transferred he closed his wallet and opened again
then the btc and the address were gone.

he panicked and created a new wallet trying to open it with the same seed. didnt work.

is there any electrum support community? or somewhere op could refer his case but i doubt they will be able to recover the 5btc

sorry for the loss

dont lose hope, maybe someone will give you better advices

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2015, 06:12:24 AM

-snip-
is there any electrum support community? or somewhere op could refer his case but i doubt they will be able to recover the 5btc
-snip-

Yes, here. Some very knowledgeable people read this section, including the electrum devs. What exactly did you try with OP to restore the wallet?

-snip-

Im sorry, but I have a really hard time understanding why people that are about to invest 1000 USD worth into bitcoin constantly fail to heed the very obvious warnings. Heck Electrum 2.3.2 does not even allow you to just copy paste the seed in order to bypass this step. You have to actually write it down, even if its just a textfile and consciously make the decision to not safe it. Nevermind thats multibit HD. Sorry for the rant.

electrum 2.3.2

i have a lot of addresses generated by default on the address tab, but the problem is::

- gave the guy
-sent the btc
-closed wallet
- open wallet
- address is gone, i dont see the address anymore on the wallet itself. the rest of the addresses are there

thank you for replying i was hoping someone could help me out. 5btc is huge money for me Sad

To my knowledge you need either the seed or the wallet file with the password. I would be very surprised if electrum "just did not safe" the file, but somehow knew it had to create "wallet_2". I thus assume you still have the wallet file and your coins still can be restored. If you -as Netpyder said- cant find that file there might be some clues in the log files I dont know about. I would suggest you wait for someone with a deeper understanding of electrum.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 09:33:31 AM

-snip-
-snip-

Yes, here. Some very knowledgeable people read this section, including the electrum devs. What exactly did you try with OP to restore the wallet?

sorry just woke up, he did not try anything, he asked me what i did and i told him i panicked when i did not see the bitcoins, i opened a new wallet with the same seed but still nothing. it appears like when the payment was made, everything just dissapeared.

-snip-

Im sorry, but I have a really hard time understanding why people that are about to invest 1000 USD worth into bitcoin constantly fail to heed the very obvious warnings. Heck Electrum 2.3.2 does not even allow you to just copy paste the seed in order to bypass this step. You have to actually write it down, even if its just a textfile and consciously make the decision to not safe it. Nevermind thats multibit HD. Sorry for the rant.

electrum 2.3.2

- gave the guy
-sent the btc
-closed wallet
- open wallet

To my knowledge you need either the seed or the wallet file with the password. I would be very surprised if electrum "just did not safe" the file, but somehow knew it had to create "wallet_2". I thus assume you still have the wallet file and your coins still can be restored. If you -as Netpyder said- cant find that file there might be some clues in the log files I dont know about. I would suggest you wait for someone with a deeper understanding of electrum.

i tried restore the wallet by the seed, i downloaded electrum on my secondary laptop and use the seed to see some miracle but nothing happens, all the other addresses are there, for sure, but the one that i was transferred on just dissapeared on the globe.
i still see that my bitcoins are lying in that address but there is no way to get it back.

log files? how do i open that?

if there is an electrum developper or something on the forum i will gladly just rar the whole files and send him, as long as he is trusted yeah i can do that.

i'm desperate to get my btc back i badly need that
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2015, 11:50:53 AM

Check whether the address you used is a change address and can you please list all files you see in C:\Users\YourUserName\Appdata\Roaming\Local\Electrum?

Tafelpoot

Activity: 191

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 01:10:24 PM

OP, do you still have the address that is supposed to have received the payment?
Is it 1M2s5jnkspK82fyiJ1stzG8SDdPhuYcbKP ?

That address is not part of the public key you have shared!

The first address generated by your public key is 1M2WeprC3o6P7YvLvXEAFZBQVFxs4iPqKD
Careful, it is similar for the first 3 letters but not the same.

I hope you kept your communication with your counterpart.
He may have swapped the address you gave to a similar address.
You should get in touch and get him to send to the correct address.

Expire date has no influence on this. Don't worry about it.

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 01:37:12 PM

OP, do you still have the address that is supposed to have received the payment?
Is it 1M2s5jnkspK82fyiJ1stzG8SDdPhuYcbKP ?

That address is not part of the public key you have shared!

The first address generated by your public key is 1M2WeprC3o6P7YvLvXEAFZBQVFxs4iPqKD
Careful, it is similar for the first 3 letters but not the same.

I hope you kept your communication with your counterpart.
He may have swapped the address you gave to a similar address.
You should get in touch and get him to send to the correct address.

Expire date has no influence on this. Don't worry about it.

no the address was in my wallet
he sent the 5btc
i saw it on the address in my wallet itself

when i closed my wallet, the address and the 5btc was gone
it swapped to the address you mentioned.

Zaakir:  i am not currently at home, once i get home i will check what you said to me, what should i look for? can you detailed your request please
Tafelpoot

Activity: 191

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 02:31:41 PM

Okay. Your answer is still not 100 pct clear to me.
Please answer with Yes / No to each question.

Did you request a payment to 1M2s5jnkspK82fyiJ1stzG8SDdPhuYcbKP?
Do you have chat logs / emails confirming this (no need to share)?
Did you see the 5 btc arrive on 1M2s5jnkspK82fyiJ1stzG8SDdPhuYcbKP in your wallet?
Did you see the 5 btc arrive on 1M2s5jnkspK82fyiJ1stzG8SDdPhuYcbKP on blockchain.info or something alike?
Did you write down the seed when generating your wallet (before making this transaction)?
Do you have the transaction confirmation hash?
It looks like this

The seed you have now, does it produce the master pub key you shared in this thread?
It should start with the address 1M2WeprC3o6P7YvLvXEAFZBQVFxs4iPqKD.
I checked by making a watch-only wallet with your key.

Are you using windows?
Did you download electrum from the official site?
Did you add addresses manually?

No more Yes/No questions, but still important:
Do you use standalone, installer or portable version of electrum?
Which version?

If you are using standard windows 7, go to your c:\users\FILL_IN_YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Electrum folder.
Tell us which files you see there.
It contains your settings and your wallet files.

Edit: did electrum generate new addresses when you reopened the wallet file and the address disappeared?
The odds are low for 2 consequent seeds to have their first address to start with 1M2... this smells like an auto-complete typo on your end.

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 04:56:13 PM

Okay. Your answer is still not 100 pct clear to me.
Please answer with Yes / No to each question.

Did you request a payment to 1M2s5jnkspK82fyiJ1stzG8SDdPhuYcbKP?  if by requesting you mean request from electrum, no. but i copied the address and email the guy
Do you have chat logs / emails confirming this (no need to share)? yes sure, can even make the guy confirm by signing his address, no problem
Did you see the 5 btc arrive on 1M2s5jnkspK82fyiJ1stzG8SDdPhuYcbKP in your wallet? yes
Did you see the 5 btc arrive on 1M2s5jnkspK82fyiJ1stzG8SDdPhuYcbKP on blockchain.info or something alike? yes, its there
Did you write down the seed when generating your wallet (before making this transaction)? yup i have the seed
Do you have the transaction confirmation hash?  not understanding, if the guy who sent need to find something in the transaction, i can ask him, he will provide no problem.
It looks like this

The seed you have now, does it produce the master pub key you shared in this thread?
It should start with the address 1M2WeprC3o6P7YvLvXEAFZBQVFxs4iPqKD.
I checked by making a watch-only wallet with your key.   can you be more step by step wise?

Are you using windows? yes
Did you download electrum from the official site? yes
Did you add addresses manually? no generated when i installed

No more Yes/No questions, but still important:
Do you use standalone, installer or portable version of electrum? installer or standalone but definitly not portable
Which version? 2.3.2

If you are using standard windows 7, go to your c:\users\FILL_IN_YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Electrum folder.
Tell us which files you see there.
It contains your settings and your wallet files.   i will send that when i return home from work, will check and say what files there are.

Edit: did electrum generate new addresses when you reopened the wallet file and the address disappeared?  no the address the 5btc was sent to just dissapeared. the rest of the addresses stayed the same.
The odds are low for 2 consequent seeds to have their first address to start with 1M2... this smells like an auto-complete typo on your end.  no was not a typo mistake, i copied and pasted. not write it myself, its too long and complete to write those addresses.

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 05:00:22 PM

If you had written down the seed, then it may be a good idea to provide the seed to someone you can trust and they can see if they can recover the funds for you. They may charge you for this, and there is a risk that they will scam you, however it would be a solution to your problem.

I would not be surprised if you received requests from people to give them your seed who are very new or have little/no positive trust, and I can say it is almost certain that they are going to try to scam you.

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 05:23:51 PM

If you had written down the seed, then it may be a good idea to provide the seed to someone you can trust and they can see if they can recover the funds for you. They may charge you for this, and there is a risk that they will scam you, however it would be a solution to your problem.

I would not be surprised if you received requests from people to give them your seed who are very new or have little/no positive trust, and I can say it is almost certain that they are going to try to scam you.
if there is anyone with a good trust score i will provide the seed and they can see if they can retrieve it.

if they can, 0.5 bitcoins in their way.

newbies or scammers are easily recognized no worries about that.

legendary or hero with good trust feedback can be blindly trusted no problem about that
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 05:40:54 PM

I would be willing to attempt to recover the funds for .5 btc, payable if I can recover anything.

If you think I am trusted enough then PM me the seed in 5 hours or so and I will see what I can do. I won't have access to a copy of electrum before then. If you know how to use GPG then you can encrypt it to my public key which is located in my profile.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: