Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:17:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Paypal -> BTC method?  (Read 7752 times)
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 09:45:06 AM

While I agree they might be trolling, they are doing it based on experience of how paypal -> btc exchanges have lead to a lot of situations like this:

"I tried to sell my 220btc to this guy who was going to pay me $2200 USD for them via paypal"
"After the transaction was complete, he reversed it"
"Paypal sided with him, even though I provided proof, I did infact trade him in bitcoins and I have all these emails to prove this agreement, and this link showing the blockchain shows he got it moments afterwards."

There are various versions of this story, over 200 Btc lost via a paypal reversal was just the largest one I remember seeing.
Deal with the exchanges, which one that happens to operate in your country I don't know.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Buying_bitcoins

I once liked paypal as much as the next guy when everything works fine, but I know all to well, they are can screw you worse than any bank or individual could. In this community paypal has gained the reputation as a tool to screw people out of their bitcoins, because paypal sides with the one doing the reversal everytime.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
martingillespi

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 02:57:15 PM

If any one have to purchase online then Paypal is the most popular and favourite option which is generally supported  by every website. User also trust on it for making payment via their credit card or debit card.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 12:58:55 AM

If any one have to purchase online then Paypal is the most popular and favourite option which is generally supported  by every website. [/quoe]

Not every website.  Can you buy gold bullion with PayPal?   Can you pay for a Western Union transaction with PayPal?  Can you make a payment to your credit card using PayPal?

The reason most ecommerce sites accept PayPal is because they can absorb the costs by charging a high enough markup into their prices.

User also trust on it for making payment via their credit card or debit card.

It isn't that consumers don't trust PayPal, it is that merchants don't trust PayPal.   Even if Bitcoin merchants did trust PayPal, they would be wrong to do so as PayPal's User Agreement specifically prohibits their payment network being used for the purchase of digital currency (and a range of other restrictions).

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █