Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:43:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If Bitcoin is going to succeed, ...  (Read 3468 times)
LoweryCBS (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

firstbits 1LoCBS

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 11:37:20 PM

It's because of people like this:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=2228

Hero Member indeed.

Read but a small portion of the sheer volume of helpful posts he churns out, and be humbled.

Or better yet, be more like Stephen.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 12:59:20 AM
Last edit: April 16, 2015, 11:39:22 PM by Stephen Gornick

Heh, thank you for your kind words.

However, Bitcoin doesn't need heroes.  I don't think Bitcoiners should even want heroes.

Heroes who are a threat to a State that becomes fascist might be arrested, and detained indefinitely.   If there are just a couple dozen Bitcoin heroes that could be rounded up and Bitcoin disintegrates in their absence with faith in it as a decentralized system lost as a result, then those seen as heroes have done more harm than good for Bitcoin.

If Bitcoin is going to succeed it is because a decentralized digital currency provides a defense against a system that has co-opted our medium of exchange and turned it into a medium of control and a system abused by a bought congress.  That opportunity for Bitcoin to serve this role is what will draw in the helpers needed for Bitcoin to succeed.

But as far as my posts, I feel that putting in the time to help to answer questions that people have helps me to know what solutions might work and also what problems remain to be solved.  For instance, the "How can I buy bitcoins with PayPal / Credit Card" is a question asked daily.  But my response telling them "sorry, not possible" doesn't really solve their problem.   The solution might come from a CoinBase which is using its experience in fraud prevention to build a wallet system that can also be used by its customers to buy bitcoins using credit cards for payment.

So if Bitcoin is going to succeed it is going to need more and more approaches to actually solving the problems that are still faced.  That's where heroic efforts are needed.

But that doesn't mean volunteers providing the equivalent of level 1 support aren't needed.  And with the rapid growth in the number of new topics, new posts and pageviews -- the need for helpful community members is greater today than ever.

New topics:

Data source:
 - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmcTCtjBoRWUdHJuUE1mUkFxa3A0eHBDQkxZLVVFZmc

(Incidentally, even though the metrics are below the peak from last year, the quality of posts and the vastness of the Bitcoin community are so much higher than mid-2011 had,   Yes, even with the bitcoinica/pirate/mnw/atlas etc trolling levels we have today, mid-2011 was an order of magnitude worse.)

So instead of needing a hero I think what instead was needed was a first follower.    Because "there's no movement without the first follower":

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW8amMCVAJQ

[Edited: clarifications]

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 01:27:07 AM

Very cool. Enabling others to stand on their own...we need more of this.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 01:28:33 AM

Heh, thank you for your kind words.

However, Bitcoin doesn't need heroes.  I don't think Bitcoiners should even want heroes.

Heroes that are a threat to a state that becomes fascist might be arrested, and detained indefinitely.   If there are just a couple dozen Bitcoin heroes that could be rounded up and then faith in Bitcoin is lost as a result, then those seen as heroes have done more harm than good for Bitcoin.

If Bitcoin is going to succeed it is because a decentralized digital currency provides a defense against a system that has co-opted our medium of exchange and turned it into a medium of control, controlled by a bought congress.  That opportunity is what will draw in the helpers needed for it to succeed.

But as far as my posts, I feel that putting in the time to help to answer questions that people have helps me to know what solutions might work and also what problems remain to be solved.  For instance, the "How can I buy bitcoins with PayPal / Credit Card" is a question asked daily.  But my response telling them "sorry, not possible" doesn't really solve their problem.   The solution might come from a CoinBase which is using its experience in fraud prevention to build a wallet system that can also be used by its customers to buy bitcoins and use credit cards for payment.

So if Bitcoin is going to succeed it is going to need more and more approaches to actually solving the problems that are faced.

But that doesn't mean volunteers providing the equivalent of level 1 support aren't needed.  And with the rapid growth in the number of new topics, new posts and pageviews -- the need for helpful community members is greater today than ever.

New topics:

Data source:
 - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmcTCtjBoRWUdHJuUE1mUkFxa3A0eHBDQkxZLVVFZmc

(Incidentally, even though the metrics are below the peak from last year, the quality of posts and the vastness of the Bitcoin community are so much higher than mid-2011 had,   Yes, even with the pirate/mnw/atlas etc trolling levels we have today, mid-2011 was an order of magnitude worse.)

So instead of needing a hero I think what instead was needed was a first follower.    Because "there's no movement without the first follower":

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW8amMCVAJQ

i first saw that video on Trace Mayers site RunToGold.  as i've said before, he played a significant part in making me first invest in gold and silver back in 2005.  i love that video.

btw, i also enjoy Stephen's posts.
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 03:54:39 AM

...The best part is he can help you and contradict you showing you the error in your thinking without actually being a dick about it. ...

I think that proves character.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4578
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:25:55 AM

i first saw that video on Trace Mayers site RunToGold.  as i've said before, he played a significant part in making me first invest in gold and silver back in 2005.  i love that video.

I thought the vid was rather dopey to be honest.  The tone of the narrator made me want to puke, and I've always felt like dancing makes it appear that a person has some sort of neurological disorder.  Bah, humbug I guess.  My nature is to turn in the opposite direction of any crowd and keep going so such a situation as demonstrated, however illustrative it might have been, was bound to induce a negative reaction in me.

I as well.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:26:12 AM

Hero? Hardly.

I would nominated Stephen for "Super Hero" forum classification. 
He probably would hate the distinction but it is the truth.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:32:12 AM

I thought the vid was rather dopey to be honest.  The tone of the narrator made me want to puke, and I've always felt like dancing makes it appear that a person has some sort of neurological disorder.  Bah, humbug I guess.  My nature is to turn in the opposite direction of any crowd and keep going so such a situation as demonstrated, however illustrative it might have been, was bound to induce a negative reaction in me.

I as well.

actually Trace Mayer did away with the existing audio and replaced it with something else related to gold; i can't remember exactly what it was.  i tried looking for it on his site but couldn't find it.  sunnankar?
datafish
Donator

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

Swimming in a sea of data

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 06:02:48 AM

Hero? Hardly.

I would nominated Stephen for "Super Hero" forum classification. 
He probably would hate the distinction but it is the truth.

The man is a genius, the way he is able to remember so many different facts and events about Bitcoin and the world at large and then tie them together months or years later.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 11:29:45 AM

You could always go this route. How to Start a Cult

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
mobile4ever

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 12:02:27 PM

Everyone needs heroes. But... it does take a miracle sometimes when those heroes become villains with too much power. Its a two-edged sword.

World

Activity: 743

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:07:06 PM
Last edit: September 13, 2012, 04:32:48 PM by World

I as well.
Stephen was first bitcoiner I start following when I heard about bitcoin from beginning
thx

Supporting people with beautiful creative ideas. Bitcoin is because of the developers,exchanges,merchants,miners,investors,users,machines and blockchain technologies work together.
paulie_w

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:12:41 PM

hear hear!
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:32:43 PM

I as well.

Don't feel bad; it just means that you are the lone nut :-)  Hey, somebody's gotta do it!  Grin
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 05:08:23 PM

I as well.

Don't feel bad; it just means that you are the lone nut :-)  Hey, somebody's gotta do it!  Grin

I really enjoyed that video Stephen Smiley and have to agree this community needs leaders easy to follow

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2012, 12:39:24 AM

I wish we had a "friend" button beside the "ignore" one.

People I "friend" would have an highlight and similar to the "ignore" feature the quantity of "friend" would change the Title of the user to "Super Hero" in this case.

Having 500 posts and getting an Hero title doesn't really say much as to the quality of posts.

At the risk of creating a caste system this would be an useful way of figuring out user reputations for the new-comers.

This is a vague concept but something along those lines could greatly accelerate bitcoin growth by improving cooperation and reducing time wasted.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2012, 04:22:01 PM

People I "friend" would have an highlight and similar to the "ignore" feature the quantity of "friend" would change the Title of the user to "Super Hero" in this case.

Having 500 posts and getting an Hero title doesn't really say much as to the quality of posts.

At the risk of creating a caste system this would be an useful way of figuring out user reputations for the new-comers.

This is a vague concept but something along those lines could greatly accelerate bitcoin growth by improving cooperation and reducing time wasted.

I want a metric of % posts liked. Liking one person is too black/white but if you can like every post, you can measure how many likes per views a thread's OP and the subsequent posts have in addition to making people heros when they posted 50 liked posts (posts that have more than 10% like/view).

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2012, 06:26:16 PM

I want a metric of % posts liked. Liking one person is too black/white but if you can like every post, you can measure how many likes per views a thread's OP and the subsequent posts have in addition to making people heros when they posted 50 liked posts (posts that have more than 10% like/view).
Submit a proposal to /meta/ , I'll pledge 5 BTC to it.
lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 06:33:42 PM

Steven is the man!

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 01:25:02 AM

This is not just a crazy idea. It is the same thing Simon Sinek has said:

http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action.html?source=twitter#.T965omjHUtl.twitter

All it takes is 15 to 20 percent adoption and it takes off, as in unstoppable.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: