Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:40:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Santander: Blockchain Tech Can Save Banks $20 Billion a Year  (Read 1025 times)
ChrisPop (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1033

Not your Keys, Not your Bitcoins

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 05:30:32 PM
Last edit: June 16, 2015, 08:27:36 PM by ChrisPop

Blockchain technologies could reduce banks' infrastructural costs by $15-20bn a year by 2022, a new report from Santander InnoVentures claims.

http://www.coindesk.com/santander-blockchain-tech-can-save-banks-20-billion-a-year/

Do you realise how much money is that? With such savings,the bank could raise bank deposits interest rate or lower the loans interest. That refers only to some banks,the majority are the ones who just want to keep the profits for themselves.  Tongue
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 05:34:27 PM

Blockchain technologies could reduce banks' infrastructural costs by $15-20bn a year by 2022, a new report from Santander InnoVentures claims.

http://www.coindesk.com/santander-blockchain-tech-can-save-banks-20-billion-a-year/

Do you realise how much money is that? With such savings,the bank could raise bank deposits interest rate or lower the loans interest. That refers only to some banks,there are some who just want to keep the profits for themselves.  Tongue

Everyone will be using the Bitcoin blockchain to run their banking infrastructures, because it doesn't make sense to use any other blockchain. Not using the Bitcoin blockchain = guaranteeing your shit will get hacked. For some reason they STILL keep the "blockchain tech" thing but tend to avoid the part where a cryptocurrency is basically the fuel that keeps the blockchain running.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 07:59:14 PM

They are finally discovering gun powder Roll Eyes It was taking long to praise blockchain technologies... Now the question is, how are they going to implement it for fiat currency? Whatever they're going to do, I bet it will be centralized.
melody82

Activity: 378
Merit: 257

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 08:12:08 PM

Do you realise how much money is that? With such savings,the bank could raise bank deposits interest rate or lower the loans interest. That refers only to some banks,there are some who just want to keep the profits for themselves.  Tongue

You are kidding right?  Can you seriously imagine banks passing those savings on to consumers?  No they will pass the extra money right back into their own pockets just like they always do!
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 08:19:37 PM

You are kidding right?  Can you seriously imagine banks passing those savings on to consumers?  No they will pass the extra money right back into their own pockets just like they always do!
I think nobody is stupid enough to think that saved money with blockchain tech will help customers, people in need or anyone but banks. It will be a waste and it will only make financial elites even richer.
But I wonder how they will manage their own blockchain. Will they provide computing power themselves and it will be private blockchain?
BitmoreCoin

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 08:24:17 PM

Everyone will be using the Bitcoin blockchain to run their banking infrastructures, because it doesn't make sense to use any other blockchain. Not using the Bitcoin blockchain = guaranteeing your shit will get hacked. For some reason they STILL keep the "blockchain tech" thing but tend to avoid the part where a cryptocurrency is basically the fuel that keeps the blockchain running.

If everyone uses bitcoin blockchain, your home computer will not be able to cope with the size.

Some mutuals (building society) can pass on the savings.
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 09:35:30 PM

If everyone uses bitcoin blockchain, your home computer will not be able to cope with the size.

The point of sidechains is to avoid precisely that.
I see everyone talking about blockchains, but no one is saying exactly how they will do it without Bitcoin.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 09:59:32 PM

I think nobody is stupid enough to think that saved money with blockchain tech will help customers, people in need or anyone but banks. It will be a waste and it will only make financial elites even richer.
But I wonder how they will manage their own blockchain. Will they provide computing power themselves and it will be private blockchain?

Are you saying there isnt meaningful competition between banks?  Competition usually forces savings to be passed onto consumers.

EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 10:01:52 PM

Do you realise how much money is that? With such savings,the bank could raise bank deposits interest rate or lower the loans interest. That refers only to some banks,the majority are the ones who just want to keep the profits for themselves.  Tongue

That is a lot of savings, the chances of it being passed to consumers is however very slim.
On the other hand it might allow smaller banks to remain competitive and scale up, such as credit unions.

neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 10:36:28 PM

That is a lot of savings, the chances of it being passed to consumers is however very slim.
On the other hand it might allow smaller banks to remain competitive and scale up, such as credit unions.
Even if they find a way to make geat reductions of costs of running their banks, im sure they'll still keep charging the same ridiculous fees for the clients. Hopefully this pushes people into using Bitcoin instead of regular banking.
jbrnt

Activity: 672

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 10:58:46 PM

Banks CAN use blockchain tech to store their ledger, but they wouldn't. They will not be bold enough to ditch their databases and I think they would prefer keep their accounts data private. They can use the bitcoin blockchain to timestamp some transactions like interbank clearing and wire transfer. These wouldn't save much costs.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 11:24:34 PM

$20 Billion a Year, really?
Anyway, I wouldn't like my bank to use the blockchain, for the excellent reason that it's public. The best banks are private institutions with all their books private, far from all eyes. A blockchain is definitely a smart way to keep a database, but each bank needs to build its one private blockchain if they think it's better than their actual solutions.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 11:33:30 PM

Anyway, I wouldn't like my bank to use the blockchain, for the excellent reason that it's public. The best banks are private institutions with all their books private, far from all eyes. A blockchain is definitely a smart way to keep a database, but each bank needs to build its one private blockchain if they think it's better than their actual solutions.

"private blockchain" Huh

That makes no sense.  The whole point of the blockchain is that its distributed.

ticoti

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 16, 2015, 11:50:21 PM

There are many people interested in the blockchain technology and I think we are in front of one of the most important inventions of this century,but we don't realise about it.
From 2020 on, we will appreciate it with the use of the biggest enterprises in it
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2015, 07:06:49 PM

The funny thing is, they have to accept bitcoin as well when they want to use the advantages of the blockchain. Only then its ensured that the blockchan is safe enough. And so far only the monetary bonuses coming from bitcoin mining can ensure an uncorrupted blockchain.

Somehow it makes me laugh.  Cheesy

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 07:10:06 PM

"private blockchain" Huh

That makes no sense.  The whole point of the blockchain is that its distributed.

and public, not private, so they can't be friend ever, at best they can build something alike that could resemble a centralized blochchain with public transaction, for more transparency
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 09:46:53 PM

You shouldn't be storing the blockchain on your home computer anyway.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
Amadues

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 09:53:40 PM

Maybe in a long view the bank can create new services for the users, and give some opportunity for the final users, but obviously they will keep the major profit for they. In a short term view I think an interest of the Bank in the blockchain can help the growth of bit coin (as value, as people that use/know … etc…)

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
'BTC MULTI-WALLET SOON'
▬▬▬▬ Download WHITEPAPER ▬▬▬▬

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

███▀▀
▐▐▌
▐▌
▐▌
▐▐▌
███▄▄
▀▀███
▐▌▌
▐▌
▐▌
▐▌▌
▄▄███
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 10:03:28 PM

Bitcoin and the block chain go hand-in-hand. Or do they?

Yes, creating the world's first global currency is innovative, but the banking industry has many other priorities, like becoming more efficient internally. Enhancing the speed of transactions, improved security, and streamlining the auditing process are realistic uses of Bitcoin's block chain. Except the goal is to ape the technology without the need for bitcoin as a currency. The real goal is making a system designed to be decentralized into one of centralized control, without the incentive program it was designed to have, a neat banker trick if they can pull it off.

Source: https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/bankers-begin-using-block-chain-technology-without-bitcoin/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: