Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:27:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible to launch a Bitcoin ETF in NSE/BSE ?  (Read 2912 times)
BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 06:24:05 AM

No. I am not day dreaming.

Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deadley
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1064

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 07:54:57 AM

Nope it's not possible. ETF means exchange traded fund and Bitcoin not listed on any registered exchange.

btcxindia

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

bitcoin exchange in India

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2015, 10:42:15 AM

Yes ,its possible to launch in stock exchanges; if Bitcoin considers as an asset/commodity/security by regulatory bodies then you can launch in NSE/BSE.

ETF definition: An ETF, or exchange traded fund, is a marketable security that tracks an index, a commodity, bonds, or a basket of assets like an index fund.

Btcxindia
deadley
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 10:49:06 AM

Yes ,its possible to launch in stock exchanges; if Bitcoin considers as an asset/commodity/security by regulatory bodies then you can launch in NSE/BSE.

ETF definition: An ETF, or exchange traded fund, is a marketable security that tracks an index, a commodity, bonds, or a basket of assets like an index fund.

You are forgetting, in India authority still not consider bitcoin as commodity/asset or security. So it's not possible till govt. clear their stand about BTC.

btcxindia

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2015, 12:19:26 PM

SEBI has to clear the ETF's based on underlying asset.I said if SEBI considers then you can list at exchanges.

Till date no fund house( As per the SEBI guidelines only fund houses can able to issue ETF's) approached to SEBI for issuing ETFs.If some one approaches to SEBI , then  we come to know the status.

Btcxindia
BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 09:19:09 PM

Nope it's not possible. ETF means exchange traded fund and Bitcoin not listed on any registered exchange.

I am well aware that bitcoin is not listed on NSE/BSE and hence I talked about 'launch'.

SEBI has to clear the ETF's based on underlying asset.I said if SEBI considers then you can list at exchanges.

Till date no fund house( As per the SEBI guidelines only fund houses can able to issue ETF's) approached to SEBI for issuing ETFs.If some one approaches to SEBI , then  we come to know the status.

I am talking about if a few big holders can create a fund house and approach SEBI like Winklevoss twins aproached FinCen.

btcxindia

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2015, 05:23:00 AM

I am well aware that bitcoin is not listed on NSE/BSE and hence I talked about 'launch'.

I am talking about if a few big holders can create a fund house and approach SEBI like Winklevoss twins aproached FinCen.

Possible.

Btcxindia
RocketSingh
Legendary

Activity: 1662
Merit: 1050

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 12:28:20 PM

How the people, who will lock their bitcoins in creating the ETF fund, will be benefited ?

deadley
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 12:40:31 PM

I was not only talking about NSE/BSE, BTC not listed on any registered exchange in world if I am right.

P.S. before sending proposal to SEBI about ETF, fund house need to take permission from RBI.

Do you think it is really easy to make/create fund house. There is so many restriction and eligiblities criteria for become fund house even if you fulfill all it will take 1-3 years for approval.

polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 01:07:20 AM

If it does happen, it will be easier for people to invest in Bitcoins.

Approval won't be given unless there is more clarity on legal status/ regulations surrounding Bitcoin. If a BTC ETF is approved, it means tacit approvals for the use of Bitcoin in India.
btcxindia

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2015, 05:20:06 AM

I was not only talking about NSE/BSE, BTC not listed on any registered exchange in world if I am right.

P.S. before sending proposal to SEBI about ETF, fund house need to take permission from RBI.

Do you think it is really easy to make/create fund house. There is so many restriction and eligiblities criteria for become fund house even if you fulfill all it will take 1-3 years for approval.

Fund house has to registered with RBI as a NBFC; need not required permission from RBI.

You are true it will take at least 1 year to get it approval but creating the fund house is not a big deal for corporate houses.

Btcxindia
deadley
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 09:44:15 AM

Fund house has to registered with RBI as a NBFC; need not required permission from RBI.

You are true it will take at least 1 year to get it approval but creating the fund house is not a big deal for corporate houses.

Because Corporate houses has contacts not everyone can create easily fund house. And other thing fund house need permission from RBI because RBI still did not clear their stand on BTC so no one allow to open ETF without RBI permission.

BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 01:57:52 PM

You are confusing something here. BTC does not need to be listed anywhere for Bitcoin ETF to be launched. Bitcoins ETF needs to be recongnized as a legit fund/store of value by the authorities (may be RBI/SEBI in this case). Bitcoin ETN is already trading and Winklevoss twins are very close to have ETF on Nasdaq.

Coming from 0 to 15000 INR today was not easy either. Anything new will definitely face challenges. Those, who can overcome it, will reap the benefit. I saw a talk by Zee Network founder Subhash Chandra, where he said how many loops he has to go through to get the first Indian private satelite on orbit. Today he reaps the benefit of it.

AFAIK, Winklevoss twins are trying out ETF from 2012. So I'll be very happy if we can get approval within 1-3 years.

To take the Bitcoin ETF proposal seriously, the first thing we need to sort out is how much bitcoin is required to create the fund which would be good enough to approach SEBI/RBI. Next, we can co-ordinate accordingly.

deadley
Legendary

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 02:30:34 PM

You are confusing something here. BTC does not need to be listed anywhere for Bitcoin ETF to be launched. Bitcoins ETF needs to be recongnized as a legit fund/store of value by the authorities (may be RBI/SEBI in this case). Bitcoin ETN is already trading and Winklevoss twins are very close to have ETF on Nasdaq.

Coming from 0 to 15000 INR today was not easy either. Anything new will definitely face challenges. Those, who can overcome it, will reap the benefit. I saw a talk by Zee Network founder Subhash Chandra, where he said how many loops he has to go through to get the first Indian private satelite on orbit. Today he reaps the benefit of it.

AFAIK, Winklevoss twins are trying out ETF from 2012. So I'll be very happy if we can get approval within 1-3 years.

To take the Bitcoin ETF proposal seriously, the first thing we need to sort out is how much bitcoin is required to create the fund which would be good enough to approach SEBI/RBI. Next, we can co-ordinate accordingly.

We will not going to get permission for Bitcoin ETF in 1-3 years. That 1-3 years take permission for starting Fund Management Company.

After that real hurdle will come. Opening fund management company take 1-3 even if you fulfill all legality and pre-requisite qualification.
So think how much time will take to get  Bitcoin ETF permission. SEBI don't allow easily even for IPO. Taking permission for ETF is far biggest task.

dashingriddler
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 03:36:48 AM

We will not going to get permission for Bitcoin ETF in 1-3 years. That 1-3 years take permission for starting Fund Management Company.

After that real hurdle will come. Opening fund management company take 1-3 even if you fulfill all legality and pre-requisite qualification.
So think how much time will take to get  Bitcoin ETF permission. SEBI don't allow easily even for IPO. Taking permission for ETF is far biggest task.

+1

CENTRA

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
        ▄▄████████████████████▄▄
      ▄███████▀▀         ▀▀███████▄
    ▄█████▀                  ▀██████
   █████▀      ▄▄▄█████▄▄      ▀█████▄
  █████     ▄██████████████▄     ▀████▄
 █████     ██████▀▀  ▀▀██████▄    ▀████
▐████     █████          █████     █████
█████    ▐████                     ▐████
█████    █████                     ▐████
█████     █████          ▄████▌    █████
 ████▌    ▀█████▄▄    ▄▄█████▀    ▄████▌
 ▀████▄     ▀██████████████▀     ▄████▀
  ▀█████▄     `▀████████▀▀     ▄█████▀
   `██████▄                  ▄██████
     ▀███████▄▄          ▄▄███████▀
       ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀

skang

Activity: 452
Merit: 252

from democracy to self-rule.

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 10:48:49 AM

So everyone believes it is very expensive and time-taking but not impossible.
Go for it BitcoinDream, though personally I can't see a need for it..

"India is the guru of the nations, the physician of the human soul in its profounder maladies; she is destined once more to remould the life of the world and restore the peace of the human spirit.
But Swaraj is the necessary condition of her work and before she can do the work, she must fulfil the condition."
RocketSingh
Legendary

Activity: 1662
Merit: 1050

View Profile
June 30, 2015, 04:48:03 PM

How the people, who will lock their bitcoins in creating the ETF fund, will be benefited ?

No one knows the answer to my question ? How come the promoters of an ETF get benefited ? Please note that, I am not asking about the traders who'll trade that ETF. I am asking about the people, who lock their Gold/bitcoin in creating a Gold/bitcoin ETF.

polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 04:38:31 AM

No one knows the answer to my question ? How come the promoters of an ETF get benefited ? Please note that, I am not asking about the traders who'll trade that ETF. I am asking about the people, who lock their Gold/bitcoin in creating a Gold/bitcoin ETF.

There are fund management charges (although very low).
So if a lot of people invest in the fund, the people who run the fund benefit.
BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 07:09:53 PM

So everyone believes it is very expensive and time-taking but not impossible.
Go for it BitcoinDream, though personally I can't see a need for it..

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: