Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:43:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [BETA] Coinffeine. Distributed Bitcoin exchange.  (Read 8526 times)
flix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 08:31:46 AM

Can anyone confirm this or not??

I saw the CEO during the Barcelona Blockchain Week. He confirmed it.

It is very sad.

An exchange which never touches customer funds (neither BTC nor fiat) and therefore has no legal liability, as well as being global and uncensorable seems absolutely necessary to make Bitcoin more resilient.

The good news is that even if Coinffeine (the company) disappears, their software still works. It just needs users.

I urge anyone who can to get the code for v. 0.12.0 from github, compile it, run a couple of peers and try a few transactions. https://github.com/Coinffeine/coinffeine

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Uptrenda

Activity: 114
Merit: 16

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 02:49:15 PM

It is very sad.

An exchange which never touches customer funds (neither BTC nor fiat) and therefore has no legal liability, as well as being global and uncensorable seems absolutely necessary to make Bitcoin more resilient.

The good news is that even if Coinffeine (the company) disappears, their software still works. It just needs users.

I urge anyone who can to get the code for v. 0.12.0 from github, compile it, run a couple of peers and try a few transactions. https://github.com/Coinffeine/coinffeine

I was working on similar software myself (p2p cryptocurrency exchange) and ended up having to shut down as well.

I think what it comes down to is this: consumers care about convenience and speed more than they care about security and decentralization. They will obviously care about security if the Bitcoin exchange gets hacked but that's really something that only becomes evident when it happens (and it's happening a lot less with properly run, venture-backed exchanges.) So really, if the only benefit p2p exchange software can offer to consumers is security (which can also be done by centralized exchanges - as mentioned), and that benefit is completely invisible: then from the consumer's perspective there is literally no reason to use p2p exchange software (Coinffeine had low fees but there will always be some fees when doing fiat exchange.)

In the end Coinffeine didn't fail because they had a bad team, a lack of funding, poor execution, or anything of the sort. They failed because people want things fast and easy, and security slows that down. That is: people don't want p2p exchanges (but love to say they do.) It turns out what people actually want is a properly run centralized exchange that isn't hacked every week (and there are plenty of those now.)

Last but not least: the final reason a p2p exchange won't work comes down to marketing. It's hard enough to get people buying coins and "exchange" sounds scary enough as it is. Some people have smartly called their exchange a "wallet" but that probably doesn't help much when exchange is what everyone searches for. Could lead to confusion, so lets just say there's enough education to have people search for exchange. What exactly is a p2p exchange? Sounds weird and scary. And why do I have to download it? But lets assume they do download it: an exchange requires volume to be an exchange. So exchanges that are already established and have the most volume are going to be far more useful than those that aren't. There is a network effect at play here: everyone tries to sell on the most established exchanges and a p2p exchange would need to someone win those customers to be competitive.

tl; dr, true p2p exchange is dead.
Cointoli

Activity: 239
Merit: 100

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 12:26:58 PM

It looks like a very good idea but I don't think it has enough traction.

﹏﹏﹋﹌﹌ WPP ENERGY ﹌﹌﹋﹏﹏
☆═══━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═══☆
≈ WORLD POWER PRODUCTION ≈

【 BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN 】
☆═━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═☆
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 12:56:51 PM

It is very sad.

I was working on similar software myself (p2p cryptocurrency exchange) and ended up having to shut down as well.

I think what it comes down to is this: consumers care about convenience and speed more than they care about security and decentralization. They will obviously care about security if the Bitcoin exchange gets hacked but that's really something that only becomes evident when it happens (and it's happening a lot less with properly run, venture-backed exchanges.) So really, if the only benefit p2p exchange software can offer to consumers is security (which can also be done by centralized exchanges - as mentioned), and that benefit is completely invisible: then from the consumer's perspective there is literally no reason to use p2p exchange software (Coinffeine had low fees but there will always be some fees when doing fiat exchange.)

In the end Coinffeine didn't fail because they had a bad team, a lack of funding, poor execution, or anything of the sort. They failed because people want things fast and easy, and security slows that down. That is: people don't want p2p exchanges (but love to say they do.) It turns out what people actually want is a properly run centralized exchange that isn't hacked every week (and there are plenty of those now.)

Last but not least: the final reason a p2p exchange won't work comes down to marketing. It's hard enough to get people buying coins and "exchange" sounds scary enough as it is. Some people have smartly called their exchange a "wallet" but that probably doesn't help much when exchange is what everyone searches for. Could lead to confusion, so lets just say there's enough education to have people search for exchange. What exactly is a p2p exchange? Sounds weird and scary. And why do I have to download it? But lets assume they do download it: an exchange requires volume to be an exchange. So exchanges that are already established and have the most volume are going to be far more useful than those that aren't. There is a network effect at play here: everyone tries to sell on the most established exchanges and a p2p exchange would need to someone win those customers to be competitive.

tl; dr, true p2p exchange is dead.

I agree with many of the points that you make. In fact I never saw the main advantage of this to be for final users, but rather for b2b and professionals. If you run a website that sells bitcoins in a fast and convenient way to consumers... and you are buying/selling those bitcoins from a centralised exchange... or if you manage a number of ATMs... then you do care a lot about security.

Another clear advantage is the uncensorable part. Even Localbitcoins has had to exclude a number of countries because of regulations. A bittorrent type system could work in those places.
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 01:07:30 PM

Also the fact that Localbitcoins does as much volume as Kraken means that people do want and need p2p exchanges.
https://bitcoinity.org/markets/list?currency=ALL&span=24h

Coinffeine transactions are in fact faster than Localbitcoins... so on the convenience front they could have been competitive.
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 03:42:02 PM

The recent events with Gemini (an arbitrary transaction reversal) again show how important a decentralised P2P exchange is. Somebody should pick up Coinffeine's code and finish the job. 
aamarket

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2015, 04:29:32 PM

I am interested but github page is deleted - 404 Sad

IMPORTANT:http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=177133.0,Tips welcome BTC:1AAMARKETmJvfjDwEFmhyYYwfre7ZFVseP  RIC:RGnX6LcJrsVEuYeySDDxkmH7AjRqoprcKt
flix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2015, 06:38:20 PM

I am interested but github page is deleted - 404 Sad

This is very frustrating.

Hopefully somebody kept a copy. Try contacting the Coinffeine devs, their website is still up: http://www.coinffeine.com/ and they still have a public contact e-mail: info@coinffeine.com.
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 08:57:41 PM

i read the blog post but i do not really get the difference between coinffeine and other distributed exchanges like instantdex  Huh
iHashFury

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 06:54:57 PM

You can now run your own decentralised exchange node and trade: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1365729
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: