Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:38:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin, the Religion?!  (Read 4323 times)
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 06:38:25 PM

But is money also another form of religion? If you ask me, just look at how some people worship its existence.

I was going to post this argument, but seen you already beat me to it. Smiley

I agree completely in that if it is fair to call bitcoin a religion, which there are some good argument for doing so, it is also valid to call fiat, or money in general, a form of religion.

They are all based on systems of belief. Most fiat, is simply paper bills representing something. That something is that the next person or entity you exchange the paper with will honor the value printed on the bill. Same with the numbers on your bank account, simply 1's and 0's in a computer that people agree mean something, namely how much money you have.

Bitcoin is the same way, currently its valuation is based more upon its speculative value, determined mainly by traders. Or in other words, the current belief of what it should be worth amongst different groups of people.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 06:39:30 PM

First time i heard about bitcoin was from someone who sounded like they had just been blessed by a good. The person was full of crap about how this was changing everything and a lot of bullshit about redistribution of wealth.

I always like people who have been blessed by goods. Wink
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 06:45:35 PM

You are really crazy if you think that cryptocurrency is a religion. It is just a kind or a new kind of money that use mostly on the internet transaction..how could you think cryptocurrency is a religion and even many government in around the declare that bitcoin is ilegal..

Money, though not a religion, is worship by many people. I don't know why but it's been like this for a millennium now. A religion is a trust-based system--you believe that there is a higher power beyond you. Fiat is a trust-based system--you believe that those imprinted paper money has value. Bitcoin is a trustless cash system, but still you believe those blocks of data has value. All contains a common denominator, trust/belief. By definition of a religion, bitcoin can be considered as a religion because you believe that those blocks of data contains value.
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 06:51:27 PM

bitcoin is not a religion. but I've seen people creates a new religion just because they think god is behind this or that so I won't be surprised if people started calling bitcoin a religion ten years from now.
knowhow

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 08:13:15 PM

well bitcoin is like religion why? they need followers to share the word about it,we owners of bitcoins must see it atleast twice a week and stay with them a while,for me bitcoin has became one kind of religious .
gripflierGO

Activity: 533

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 09:32:53 PM

bitcoin is not a religion. but I've seen people creates a new religion just because they think god is behind this or that so I won't be surprised if people started calling bitcoin a religion ten years from now.

10 years is also something impossible. It will take more then 20 years for the people to consider it as a religion, but again we are not sure whether it will survive for next 20 years or not as it will face competitions from new currencies that would enter into the market in the future so it is better we just treat as a digital currency.
hikedoon

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 10:23:07 PM

Back in the 90's there were people trying to start religions based on Ecstasy and Rave's.
 I'm in no doubt that sooner or later someone will try to start a religion about Bitcoin. Grin
 Seem's to be a common thing for us human's to do.
 I've got a sneaky feeling that Satoshi has a great sense of humour too.
 6 days and Genesis Block made me chuckle when i first read it. Grin
umaOuma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 12:03:58 AM

10 years is also something impossible. It will take more then 20 years for the people to consider it as a religion, but again we are not sure whether it will survive for next 20 years or not as it will face competitions from new currencies that would enter into the market in the future so it is better we just treat as a digital currency.

Almost Impossible.

I don't think that bitcoin can be a religion sooner or later, Is fiat a religion?? We are using it since its inception and it is still treated just as currency then how can anyone expect that bitcoin will become religion. Its better that it is currency and let it be the currency. And any currency as a religion, not possible.
BIT-Sharon

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 01:37:05 AM

From the philosophic proof, bitcoin is the product made by Satoshi, Jesus is the son of god and the christian believes in doctrine which is extensive and profound. I don't think bitcoin is a belief, it's a hobby or worship at most, it is too serious to say belief.
CEG5952

Activity: 658

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 01:40:01 AM

So Religions are now into bitcoin? In what way did bitcoin disobey the laws of Religions? I don't think there's any connection to bitcoin and Religion and I don't think bitcoin is considered as a belief either.

knowhow

Activity: 560

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 03:26:04 AM

dont connect into old religions bitcoins brings hope and dreams to all and there is real proof that it can make several people happy
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 07:20:31 AM

not religion but you can see it as a niche market for nerds, still trapped in that enviroment, like some game genre, there may be a similarity with religion, if you take into account bitcoin fanatic and what not

but i would class it as a current of thought for the future
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 08:56:32 AM

Interesting question, really.
If you believe in something, have faith, whether it is automatically religion?
I don't think so.
You can also believe in your company, country, even spouse or kids but this is not connected with religion.
People can even believe in God without need for religion.
Religion is, by definition, institutional and includes church services, the priests, shared spiritual values etc.
We can believe in bitcoin but bitcoin will never replace the institutional faith and service to God.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
deliciousowl (OP)

Activity: 432
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 09:02:01 AM

You can also believe in your company, country, even spouse or kids but this is not connected with religion.
People can even believe in God without need for religion.
Religion is, by definition, institutional and includes church services, the priests, shared spiritual values etc.
We can believe in bitcoin but bitcoin will never replace the institutional faith and service to God.

Taoism nor Buddhism require those. Usually people do not spend hours posting on the internet about how awesome their company is, or claim it will save the world. Bitcoin actually even has its own eschatology, as well as principles of gnosis.

I notice a lot of posts here who content that it's not a religion, because Christianity is. Well, then you better go and discard all the other Abrahamic religions, as well as Shinto, Tao, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.

vendetahome

Activity: 658

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 09:12:15 AM

i dont think that bitcoin is a religion as in religion you have to believe something even though no one can prove that its real or something like that, and bitcoin is real, no one can say that its fake so i guess its not religion
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 12:21:04 PM

Humans are based around suggestivity FAR MORE than most people realize - western knowledge of it comes from Freud and reflects in modern, disgusting advertising.

Of course Bitcoin is a religion. Everything is a religion.

bitcart

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

www.bitcart.io

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 12:40:20 PM

All economies are religion. South Park taught us that.

www.bitcart.io
Bitcart - spend bitcoins online and save!
Buy Amazon gift cards with bitcoin and save up to 20% off
gumcruise

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 05:36:00 PM

All economies are religion. South Park taught us that.

South Park is actually brilliant cultural analysis. I don't know any other show that is pithy like that.
nerFohanzo

Activity: 631

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 06:55:48 PM

i dont think that bitcoin is a religion as in religion you have to believe something even though no one can prove that its real or something like that, and bitcoin is real, no one can say that its fake so i guess its not religion

Religion is something we follow since we are born that's what our parents teach us. And following bitcoin as a religion is something far away. We don't believe that bitcoin is a religion it is just a currency which can be replaced by any other currency in the future. So it is useless to say that bitcoin is a religion.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 07:28:33 PM

No it is definitely not a religion. Members of this forum might have a religious like craze about their Internet toy but bitcoin is far from a religion.

For me, Bitcoin is still something new, something that still needs to grow and expand. Heck, most of the people didn't even hear about Bitcoin in this world.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: