Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:52:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin wallet lifetime ?  (Read 2665 times)
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2015, 10:07:48 PM

hello,

I like to know where I can create a secure bitcoin wallet where I can keep my bitcoins for years, when I see websites that offer bitcoin wallet, I fear that one day the site no longer exists, and I lose all my bitcoins.

thanks.

If you have a budget, buy hardware wallet it's more secure wallet. And if you won't to spend your money or don't have a budget for that, my recommendation is Electrum(you don't need download the data) or Bitcoin Core(you need download the data). For more info about wallet: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

~iki

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
iram66680

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 02:15:52 AM

hello,

I like to know where I can create a secure bitcoin wallet where I can keep my bitcoins for years, when I see websites that offer bitcoin wallet, I fear that one day the site no longer exists, and I lose all my bitcoins.

thanks.

If you have a budget, buy hardware wallet it's more secure wallet. And if you won't to spend your money or don't have a budget for that, my recommendation is Electrum(you don't need download the data) or Bitcoin Core(you need download the data). For more info about wallet: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

~iki
Although hardware wallets are more secure than desktop wallets, i believe paper wallets can also provide that kind of security when done in an airgapped computer. There is no way to guarantee if the code has any vulnerabilities due to the size of the opensourced documents. Paper wallets has fewer documents which will allow users to thoroughly check through to check for vulnerabilities. More importantly, it is cheap/

Rmcdermott927
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1140

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 02:35:21 AM

hello,

thanks.

+1 for paper wallets.   They are super useful.   The make it easy enough to import your keys at a later date that it's not an issue but just hard enough where you will be less tempted to spend your BTC.   And assuming your private keys are generated on an offline computer, without malware, your are as sure as can be that your BTC will be safe for years to come. 

HeroCat

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 01:22:00 PM

Trezor wallet can be the best, if you need wallet safety. Let say after 8 - 10 years, you can change Trezor to new one, because with time any electronical device can have problems  Grin
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 04:25:52 PM

hello,

thanks.

Have you explored and cosidered the paper wallets? (or cold storage?)

- Encrypt your wallets with STRONG password
- Keep the 'savings' wallet always offline
- Put encrypted wallet inside password-protected ZIP, put it on multiple USB drives and put them at multiple secure locations like your bank locker
- Export the private keys and store them on offline device
- Print private keys on paper and put it in your bank locker
SaktoWuN

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 08:43:42 PM

if you want to keep it for years cold storage is a better idea.
TibanneCat

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

BTC > etc

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 12:23:02 PM

and if you are concerned about your computer being infected with malware, use something like Tails https://tails.boum.org/
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 03:10:21 PM

hello,

thanks.
the important question is how much bitcoin you have and what do you want to do with them?
for small amounts and if you want to spend/use them, you can use an online wallet or mobile wallet.
for big amounts and if you want to invest and keep your coins for longer term, use cold wallets, paper wallets.

if you want to use an online wallet, there are two kind the ones that give you your private keys like blockchain.info this way if the site goes down you have access to your bitcoin
and the kind that don't like Xapo, if the site goes down your coins go down with it,

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
jacktheking
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 03:23:48 PM

Most of the web wallet will give us the private key to our wallet. In fact, most of the lightweight wallet do this too. I'm using Mycelium (Android application) for almost a year now. They give me some form of backup. Whereas, if my phone was stolen I can quickly get into my Bitcoin wallet from another wallet. And than quickly send my Bitcoin to another new wallet address.

This will also work if Mycelium suddenly stopped operating for whatever reason. So, as the rule of thumb, always make sure the wallet you are using give your some form of backup such as private key - as I said before, most of the wallet offer this.

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
cinnamon_carter
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

It's about time -- All merrit accepted !!!

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2015, 03:47:55 PM

Get a pc or better yet build one that was never connected to the web.

Generate addresses & store the priv keys in a strong pgp encrypted file in safe places.

After making sure you did not screw up shread those files. (edit one - the wallet & non encrypted keys)

Send the btc you want to store to those base 58 addresses.

In the 'future' you can import the priv keys & rescan the blockchain in the Satoshi or core client to reclaim your btc.

Check out my coin Photon
Merge Mine 5 other Blake 256 coins - 6x your hash power  https://www.blakecoin.org/

The obvious choice is not always the best choice.

LOOK DEEPER - Look into the Blake 256 Family -- CC
BigBoy89
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 06:56:25 PM

hello,

thanks.
Use cold storage to store your Bitcoins, Bitcoins on websites are never a safe place to keep your Bitcoins.

.AMEPAY.
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
│▌
       AMEPAY IEO       
▄██████▄ ▀██████▄
█████████  ▀█████
███████▀     ▀███
██████▀  ▄█▄  ▀██
██████▄  ▀█▀  ▄██
███████▄     ▄███
█████████  ▄█████
▀██████▀ ▄██████▀
   AMEPAY LISTING   
   ▐███▄
   ████▌
▐██████████▄
████████████
 ████▌  █████
▐████  ▄████
██████████▀
 ▀█████▀▀
▐│
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
iram66680

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 07:11:30 AM

Most of the web wallet will give us the private key to our wallet. In fact, most of the lightweight wallet do this too. I'm using Mycelium (Android application) for almost a year now. They give me some form of backup. Whereas, if my phone was stolen I can quickly get into my Bitcoin wallet from another wallet. And than quickly send my Bitcoin to another new wallet address.

This will also work if Mycelium suddenly stopped operating for whatever reason. So, as the rule of thumb, always make sure the wallet you are using give your some form of backup such as private key - as I said before, most of the wallet offer this.
The safety is compromised with web wallets. Web wallets are authorized to make any changes to the wallet structure without your acknowledgment. They can purposely capture your password [Blockchain.info]. They can take your coins without you knowing. Go with a trusted desktop wallet if you want to keep it for a lifetime.

randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 10:11:15 AM

people who use online storage as cold wallet are utterly stupid. don't know why any person would still do so after plenty of hacks.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2015, 01:05:31 PM

people who use online storage as cold wallet are utterly stupid. don't know why any person would still do so after plenty of hacks.

Using online storage as cold storage? I am hearing this for first time. Try to make your sig spam better by thinking before posting or you will be banned.

twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2015, 02:00:51 PM

You can print paper wallets OP or read more on cold storage but do remember that paper wallets if not stored right they can get damaged and if the key is lost you end up losing your bitcoins, same goes for other cold storage like if you keep them in an offline hard drive or pen drive they might fail, so it's best if you're going to put your bitcoins in a cold storage to keep lots of back ups and check on them.

May be hardware wallets like Trezor offer better cold storage but I haven't used them so don't know.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 01:57:58 AM

hello,

thanks.

If you keep a paper wallet on bitcoin core, make sure you backup your wallet after every 100 transactions i believe, or it was something similar.

If you use online wallet then also make an offline backup.

Blockchain.info says that they dont have acces to your funds , so even if they go down, if you have your backup offline you can restore it on another wallet.

iram66680

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 08:54:47 AM

hello,

thanks.

If you keep a paper wallet on bitcoin core, make sure you backup your wallet after every 100 transactions i believe, or it was something similar.

Blockchain.info says that they dont have acces to your funds , so even if they go down, if you have your backup offline you can restore it on another wallet.
1) You're right. But Bitcoin Core isn't considered as a paper wallet since it can't be paper. It can only be used as a offline wallet.
2) It depends on which online wallet you are talking about. Some online wallets doesn't give you control over your private key while some will allow you to have control over your private key and some will send you a nlocktime file which contains your UXTO to spend when the time specified expires.
3) They can easily change a code which captures private keys by capturing passwords or falsify transaction informations.

RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 09:07:13 AM

hello,

thanks.

1) You're right. But Bitcoin Core isn't considered as a paper wallet since it can't be paper. It can only be used as a offline wallet.
2) It depends on which online wallet you are talking about. Some online wallets doesn't give you control over your private key while some will allow you to have control over your private key and some will send you a nlocktime file which contains your UXTO to spend when the time specified expires.
3) They can easily change a code which captures private keys by capturing passwords or falsify transaction informations.

2) I was talking about blockchain.info, its by far the best online wallet out there so far. They allow you to have your private keys exported and they dont have access to it.

Of course i would not trust them with 10000 bitcoins, but i`m sure 0.1 or smaller chunks like that are ok to hold there.

1) You can just print out the private key from the Core wallet, so its is a "paper wallet" then.

3) If they didnt scammed anyone yet, they have no reason to do it now, i consider them the safest online wallet, as safe as online wallets can be.

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2015, 10:19:41 AM

hello,

thanks.

2) I was talking about blockchain.info, its by far the best online wallet out there so far. They allow you to have your private keys exported and they dont have access to it.

Of course i would not trust them with 10000 bitcoins, but i`m sure 0.1 or smaller chunks like that are ok to hold there.

1) You can just print out the private key from the Core wallet, so its is a "paper wallet" then.

3) If they didnt scammed anyone yet, they have no reason to do it now, i consider them the safest online wallet, as safe as online wallets can be.

2 & 3) No. Blockchain.info is not as safe as online wallet can be. The developers have done big mistakes, even stupid ones. I recommend GreenAddress. When comparing, GreenAddress is better.

iram66680

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 11:21:10 AM

hello,

thanks.

2,3) You haven't been up to date with the news i see. I'll give you a list of em':
http://blog.blockchain.com/2015/05/28/android-wallet-security-update/
http://blog.blockchain.com/2014/12/08/blockchain-info-security-disclosure/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2015/02/24/blockchain-and-darknet-hacks-lead-to-epic-bitcoin-losses/
http://www.coindesk.com/blockchain-info-issues-refunds-to-bitcoin-theft-victims/
The most recent one happened just recently and I'm surprised that they didn't test out the software before even upgrading it.
1) How are you going to spend it? You are going to print out a few hundred lines of codes and you can't really spend them. Use a paper wallet generator if you aren't going to use Bitcoin Core on a machine. Most of them have nicer layouts.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: