Bitcoin Forum
June 08, 2024, 03:16:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase Announces 'Instant Exchange'  (Read 1109 times)
littlebeetle (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 01:37:05 PM

https://i.imgur.com/4L6qS8g.jpg?1

Coinbase has announced today the launch of Instant Exchange, a feature that allows users to send
and receive bitcoin payments while eliminating exposure to exchange rate fluctuation.
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 02:03:04 PM

Correct me if im wrong, but that basically sounds like a button that automatically sells or buys at market price?
NattyLiteCoin

Activity: 912
Merit: 1021

If you don’t believe, why are you here?

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 02:06:15 PM

Correct me if im wrong, but that basically sounds like a button that automatically sells or buys at market price?

I hope it means they determined that 5 days to get BTC is ridiculous.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
    ███▀                   ▀███
   ███   ███           ███   ███
  ███     ███         ███     ███
 ███       ███       ███       ███
 ███     ██████     ██████     ███
 ███        ████   ████        ███
 ███     █████████████████     ███
 ███         ███▄ ▄███         ███
  ███         ███████         ███
   ███▄        █████        ▄███
    ████▄       ███       ▄████
     ▀█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▀
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀███████▀▀
  25X FASTER THAN BITCOIN, LIGHTNING NETWORK & ATOMIC SWAPS  
  TWITTER          TELEGRAM          REDDIT          DISCORD          MEDIUM          LINKEDIN  
          ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
       ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
    ███▀                   ▀███
   ███   ███           ███   ███
  ███     ███         ███     ███
 ███       ███       ███       ███
 ███     ██████     ██████     ███
 ███        ████   ████        ███
 ███     █████████████████     ███
 ███         ███▄ ▄███         ███
  ███         ███████         ███
   ███▄        █████        ▄███
    ████▄       ███       ▄████
     ▀█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▀
       ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
            ▀▀███████▀▀
Standup4

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 02:42:39 PM

Haha, nice metaphor, and quite precise!
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 02:50:34 PM

basically they are solving a problem that wasn't there with other ways of buying or selling bitcoin(i've never used coinbase, so i don't know if this 5 days of waiting, is true)
melody82

Activity: 378
Merit: 257

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 02:57:20 PM

basically they are solving a problem that wasn't there with other ways of buying or selling bitcoin(i've never used coinbase, so i don't know if this 5 days of waiting, is true)

Yeah I am scratching my head a bit at this one.  I did use coinbase to transfer money from the bank and buy some BTC, and it took about a week for the money to get in my account from the bank.  Maybe a CC or money wire would be faster but they also have much higher fees.
MF Doom

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 03:58:05 PM

Yeah I am scratching my head a bit at this one.  I did use coinbase to transfer money from the bank and buy some BTC, and it took about a week for the money to get in my account from the bank.  Maybe a CC or money wire would be faster but they also have much higher fees.

They have a new "wallet" feature, you may have to transfer money to that FIRST, then use the "instant excahnge" feature, at least for buying.
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Thug for life!

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 04:03:35 PM

I never used coinbase either, no i just feel like they are becoming a corp tool in order to collect data from bitcoin users and traders, i guess mainstream users feel safe that way.
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 04:41:56 PM

Yes, there is typically a 1 week delay for your funds to get from checking to Coinbase. I blame the fiat world for that. Credit card purchases could be done more or less instantly, I believe.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 04:52:24 PM

Yes, there is typically a 1 week delay for your funds to get from checking to Coinbase. I blame the fiat world for that. Credit card purchases could be done more or less instantly, I believe.

this is a major strategy adopted nowadays from many business companies, first you provide a shitty service, to see how many customers you can get without spending too much, then you announce that you will provide something, which may seems revolutionary to stay competitive, but actually it isn't,

i'm disgusted by how some companies do their job
MF Doom

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 05:11:20 PM

this is a major strategy adopted nowadays from many business companies, first you provide a shitty service, to see how many customers you can get without spending too much, then you announce that you will provide something, which may seems revolutionary to stay competitive, but actually it isn't,

yet that exact philosophy has made apple & samsung 2 of the biggest companies on the planet.  I mean seriously, the new "edge" phone, the edge lights up?? Who cares!!!
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2015, 06:46:15 PM

Instant Exchange, a feature that allows users to send and receive bitcoin payments while eliminating exposure to exchange rate fluctuation.
They were doing that already for merchant accounts. When you buy from a merchant that accepts Bitcoin through Coinbase, Coinbase, not the merchant, takes the exchange rate risk for the seconds to minutes it takes to process the transaction.
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036

/dev/null

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 06:49:28 PM

uhh, yes you are imho right. I also don't see anything new or groundbreaking here.. Tongue
Sourgummies

Activity: 728

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 06:54:35 PM

Agree or they put out a great service and slowly ask for more money or your personal info. Have seen a lot of small forum websites do that model as well once they have
a large enough database of members.
bitnanigans

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 07:00:04 PM

Have they sorted out their issues with arbitrarily cancelling Bitcoin buy orders? I'm still wary of any of their services for this reason.
MF Doom

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 07:14:48 PM

Have they sorted out their issues with arbitrarily cancelling Bitcoin buy orders? I'm still wary of any of their services for this reason.

I haven't had any issues like that for a long time.  I do remember when they would say they had "run out of btc" for the day to sell.  It was something about how they aquired the btc, I believe they explain it in a blog post.  I imagine that issue is gone now.
cryptworld

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 07:21:35 PM

didn't they announce this some months ago?
MF Doom

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 08:02:51 PM

didn't they announce this some months ago?

yeah, I think its been around for a while.

Whats new is its now available for EU coinbase users I believe
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 09:34:26 PM

For me their Instant Exchange is really nothing much and nothing groundbreaking - it should be normal feature to begin with. But now CoinBase will announce it as a new ultra feature and how awesome 'instant exchange' is when in reality their service was lacking speed in the first place.
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049

View Profile
June 17, 2015, 09:40:59 PM

By instant exchange, I understand the likes of ShapeShift.io, SimpleSwap.me or coinomat.com. It seems this one is not a variant of that.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: