Author Topic: .  (Read 1595 times)
LoweryCBS (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

firstbits 1LoCBS

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 01:01:33 PM
Last edit: December 22, 2012, 03:02:19 PM by LoweryCBS

The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kais

Activity: 193
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 01:08:42 PM

I just had this idea the other day! You beat me to it. It's a good idea but they are very expensive. Let us know if people buy! :-)
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 01:22:24 PM

Just FYI: Only trade with Verified Paypal account holders. 
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 01:31:49 PM
Last edit: September 13, 2012, 01:51:09 PM by DeathAndTaxes

The best attempt I have seen yet.

Just scrutinize every order and be ready to make some subjective evaluations and rejections on the side of caution.

Just watch for all the obvious warning signs.
* Unverified PayPal
* Verified PayPal shipping to unverified address.
* Ebay account with little or no history or very recent account with history from a few (shill) sellers.
* Ebay account without activity for a long time (possible hacked/stolen account).

Will be interested if you can beat the scammers and hackers.  
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 01:46:48 PM

Just FYI: Only trade with Verified Paypal account holders. 

^this +1

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
LoweryCBS (OP)

firstbits 1LoCBS

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 03:27:47 PM

Just edited the top post to add a 1 BTC bonus for the first purchaser.

Very good suggestions; I've incorporated all of them in the small print at the bottom of the auction.

For a purchaser I feel comfortable with, I'll be willing to sell addition BTC for PayPal directly with much lower fees.
FLHippy

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 04:02:20 PM

This is an auction for a physical note with 10 coins. However, I'm going to provide you with 14 BTC.

The note is beautiful. I've been selling bit coins on paper on eBay for a while now and using plain old paper. Thanks for the presentation suggestion.

I hope to see all eBay sellers move to a paper sales system. Help to remove some of the scammers from the eBay/PayPal system.

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2012, 05:09:55 PM

Hopefully the note in the auction isn't the one you receive otherwise we all have your private key loll.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 05:31:48 PM

I thought eBay didn't allow such sales?

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 08:29:20 PM

I've created an ebay auction here:

You're playing with fire, but maybe this is one approach that they'll not interfere with.

One question though.  Other physical bitcoin vendors say whether they retain a copy of the private key. 

I'm presuming you are keeping the private key for a period of time so that if the note gets lost in the mail, or are charged back before the shipment arrives (or for any number of reasons), you can reclaim the coins.  Is this the case?  If not, what is the private key retention.  Also, what assurance is there that you have a secure system that is not compromised ... e..g., are these generated using an air-gapped system?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

LoweryCBS (OP)

firstbits 1LoCBS

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 08:39:31 PM

I'm presuming you are keeping the private key for a period of time so that if the note gets lost in the mail, or are charged back before the shipment arrives (or for any number of reasons), you can reclaim the coins.  Is this the case?

Yes, for those very reasons.

Once positive feedback has been left, then I'll just shred my copy (I'm a voracious shredder)

Of course, I'll recommend that the recipient transfer the coins off the note onto a more secure address.

what assurance is there that you have a secure system that is not compromised ... e..g., are these generated using an air-gapped system?

None. We're talking about 10-15 coins here, not 100+

Again, it's in the best interest for the recipient to transfer the coins off the note, and I'll make sure they understand this.

And, of course, the model notes in the photos have been specifically destroyed.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 09:29:12 PM

I think this is a pretty good idea.  It certainly solves the proof of delivery problem.   It's no longer a "digital good" so it could actually fall under their buyer protection program.  
LoweryCBS (OP)

firstbits 1LoCBS

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 09:32:39 PM

I think this is a pretty good idea.  It certainly solves the proof of delivery problem.   It's no longer a "digital good" so it could actually fall under their buyer protection program.  

More important for me, it will fall under their SELLER protection policy  Wink
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 09:45:38 PM

Just beware their seller protection isn't bullet proof. 

"Mr. PayPal LoweryCBS mailed me an empty box".
or
"Mr. PayPal the item LoweryCBS mailed me was materially different than as described I would like to return it <after transfering the funds>".
FLHippy

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 10:05:29 PM

Just beware their seller protection isn't bullet proof. 

"Mr. PayPal LoweryCBS mailed me an empty box".
or
"Mr. PayPal the item LoweryCBS mailed me was materially different than as described I would like to return it <after transfering the funds>".

I started selling coins on eBay about a year ago. I got scammed 3 times in my first 10 coins sold and almost gave up.

Once I started selling paper coins to buyers that I had not developed a relationship with, I have not been scammed at all.

I have had several scam attempts but they always "go away" once they realize I'm not going to deliver any other way but through the US MAIL. I report these people to PayPal & eBay before they have time to reverse the transaction themselves. Oddly, PayPal is slow to freeze the funds though. Talking to the call center in India sucks.

I also only sell to people in the in my own country (US).

This is in no way scam-proof. Scammers gonna scam. But, there is easier pickins. Predators prefer easy prey.

My eBay sales are small time. Sales of 1BTC. Some people buy two. My limit is 5 per person per 90 days (i think 90 days). I have my buyer restrictions set to the most aggressive values. I keep in contact with a few other sellers and share ban lists.

Eventually, someone else will scam me again. But with a 20-30% markup, I'll be OK.

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: