Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:37:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Data limits becoming an issue......any thoughts?  (Read 4378 times)
yochdog (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 13, 2012, 06:45:36 PM

This might seem pretty basic, but do both your pool and your miner support rollNtime? This drastically reduces the number of getworks you're requesting, especially for 17GH/s.
I use CGminer in conjunction with GPUmax to manage my farm.....
GPUmax just acts as a proxy. What pools do GPUmax point to?

Mostly 50BTC and OZcoin
Are you actually getting enough GPUMax work for diff-1 shares and higher stale rates to be worthwhile?

works like a charm 99% of the time......
Your rollNtime effectiveness is likely being dimineshed by the extra packet time bouncging thru gpuMAX.  Point them all direct for 7 days and check your bandwidth usage then.

Sounds like a plan.....thanks

I am a trusted trader!  Ask Inaba, Luo Demin, Vanderbleek, Sannyasi, Episking, Miner99er, Isepick, Amazingrando, Cablez, ColdHardMetal, Dextryn, MB300sd, Robocoder, gnar1ta$ and many others!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 04:38:25 AM

If data limits are a strong concern, the stratum protocol completely solves the issue.  Both slush and BTC Guild are running Stratum protocol beta pools.  On a large farm, you can see upstream bandwidth reduction in the 99%+ range with dynamic difficulty+stratum.  You'll also see inbound bandwidth reduced to ~3-5 KB per minute (~60 bytes per second average, though it happens in bursts of ~1 KB at a time).

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
Ascholten

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 02:00:10 PM

Call Verizon.  I remember about a few months ago, them saying they were going to offer an unlimited plan, because sprint has one and was stealing too much of their business with it.  When I dumped the for sprint when I got my new smart phone, they asked why and I said unlimited data, they said oh but we got that now, I said, sorry, too little too late, plus they throttle.

look into sprint, you may find it cheaper overall if it is in your area, also call your current verizon, they might have the unlimited for you.

Aaron

Bit Visitor      You view the page / ads and get paid. 
Coin Tube    You watch videos and get paid.
thebaron

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 02:05:24 PM

I'm not sure why pool operators would choose to use up so much bandwidth. You would think they could automatically detect your hashing power and adjust things accordingly.
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 12:33:45 AM

2 things:

1. EMC now has variable difficulty shares on all their servers. It scales according to your Hashrate
2. There's a proxy for N-roll-time which could help distribute work to all your machines: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=103248.0

Untill GetBlockTemplate and Slush's Protocols become de-facto, these could well reduce your bandwith by some margin.
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 11:50:56 PM

After reading all this I'm still not quite sure I gathered how much bandwidth is needed for a typical rig. What sort of internet speeds (upload and download) are needed for typical mining pools of 500GH/s+? I know it won't translate the same to the ASIC devices (since they won't have thousands of simultaneous connections for mining), but I'm still curious.

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 02:06:28 PM

Cgminer now supports Stratum, and Slush's pool and BTCguild both support in on their side as well. Using a combination of these will drastically reduce your data sent/received.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 01:31:29 PM

2 things:

1. EMC now has variable difficulty shares on all their servers. It scales according to your Hashrate
2. There's a proxy for N-roll-time which could help distribute work to all your machines: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=103248.0

Untill GetBlockTemplate and Slush's Protocols become de-facto, these could well reduce your bandwith by some margin.

I recommend EMC for now.  I'm thinking with 2% fee at ozcoin, but it has transaction fees included in payout, that they are roughly equal.  But that will change once the great halving occurs.  How, I don't know, but it'll change.

I tried the proxy mentioned above and it eventually started causing me problems.  I think it's a resource issue, but not sure.

As someone else mentioned, cgminer has stratum support now, but it's early release code, not necessarily stable yet.  However not many pools support stratum yet.  Using EMC (us1 server) should significantly increase your share size and hence decrease your bandwidth.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 03:06:06 PM

It is a router from Cradlepoint, with a USB 4G modem plugged into it.  

On a side note, I use a USB 3G modem like this for my home internet (it's my only option where I live).

I had a Cradlepoint router like this, and it kind of worked, though sometimes it would hang and need to be reset.

Then I replaced it with an Asus RT-N13U and put dd-wrt on it, and what a difference!  My average data rate doubled, and stability is a lot better.

Somehow I suspect the Cradlepoint had trouble delivering enough power to the modem.  I never did try using a powered hub with it.

As for bandwidth, I solo mine.  I'm also on a grandfathered plan not subject to a data limit, but I think they're gonna try and take it away from me at the end of the year.   Angry

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
RyanRed

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 07:47:08 AM

+1 for Stratum. Supportability uses less bandwidth. I would think a lot of pools might move to it over time with the increased hash rate on the horizon.
underminer

Activity: 210

Not for hire.

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 09:19:08 PM

Hey this is off the wall but I though it might be helpful:

I used to use these things that would connect internet through power lines (sometimes called poe I think) to connect customers to the internet who didn't have high demand for speeds.  I have linked up to 6 total before, as there is a sort of a "breadcrumbs" way of linking them together, and I have heard of people using them between houses.

Dlink makes a good one but I believe they are everywhere now.  Anyway, my thought is that you can feasibly run a durable extension cord between houses more easily than just a typical cord if you can negotiate with a neighbor somehow.  If it helps cool otherwise disregard lol!

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile
October 15, 2012, 12:29:09 AM

Hey this is off the wall but I though it might be helpful:

I used to use these things that would connect internet through power lines (sometimes called poe I think) to connect customers to the internet who didn't have high demand for speeds.  I have linked up to 6 total before, as there is a sort of a "breadcrumbs" way of linking them together, and I have heard of people using them between houses.

Dlink makes a good one but I believe they are everywhere now.  Anyway, my thought is that you can feasibly run a durable extension cord between houses more easily than just a typical cord if you can negotiate with a neighbor somehow.  If it helps cool otherwise disregard lol!

I used them here before I hard wired the house for cat5e.  They work well, although they are a bit slow.  Might work well for low bandwidth mining.  They can't get through transformers, so if you and your neighbor(s) are on the same transformer, you'll be able to access each other (within reason).  If that's not desirable, make sure you use one with encryption and make it a secure password! Smiley

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 20, 2012, 02:58:43 AM

Having dealt with your situation while playing admin for a med sized business with mobile (back of semi truck) workshops... I feel your pain.

By far the best solution is to just get another 4g plan identical to the one you have now. If your device supports it you can swap sim card every 15 days and stop worrying about it. If not you'd have to just swap each device out every 15 days. Not the most elegant solution but it works - is easy to manage and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

BitcoinOxygen

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2012, 04:46:25 PM

Cgminer now supports Stratum, and Slush's pool and BTCguild both support in on their side as well. Using a combination of these will drastically reduce your data sent/received.

+1 for Stratum

BTCOxygen PPS Mining Pool 2% Fee  <<<  Join Now
yochdog (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 02:47:53 PM

Having dealt with your situation while playing admin for a med sized business with mobile (back of semi truck) workshops... I feel your pain.

By far the best solution is to just get another 4g plan identical to the one you have now. If your device supports it you can swap sim card every 15 days and stop worrying about it. If not you'd have to just swap each device out every 15 days. Not the most elegant solution but it works - is easy to manage and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

This is what I have been doing as a work-around......

I am a trusted trader!  Ask Inaba, Luo Demin, Vanderbleek, Sannyasi, Episking, Miner99er, Isepick, Amazingrando, Cablez, ColdHardMetal, Dextryn, MB300sd, Robocoder, gnar1ta$ and many others!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: