Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:31:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is a Bitcoin whale?  (Read 8243 times)
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 05:29:38 PM

I would say around 1000btc is a whale

But don't think that would be enough to move the market

I think you'll need at least around the 100k to be able to do that

Is there a certain clarification what a typical Bitcoin whale is?
But you're right that a whale, as many here would define it, is somebody who has more than enough coins to move a medium sized exchange in one or the other direction.
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
newcoins1978

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 30, 2015, 10:40:47 PM

I would say around 1000btc is a whale

But don't think that would be enough to move the market

I think you'll need at least around the 100k to be able to do that

Is there a certain clarification what a typical Bitcoin whale is?
But you're right that a whale, as many here would define it, is somebody who has more than enough coins to move a medium sized exchange in one or the other direction.

1000 BTC is quite clear. TBH i think you have to have way more. Closer to 10k. That is just enough to shake a market on a bitcoin exchanged (an average one).

I am not one of those whales...yet ;P
Sir_lagsalot

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 01, 2015, 01:35:34 AM

I, personally am not a whale, I only hold l hold 21 bitcoin. I know some people personally who have over 1000 bitcoin. They basically gambled their life savings on bitcoin. I'm not that ballsy.
Gotomoon

Activity: 719

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 03:47:42 PM

I, personally am not a whale, I only hold l hold 21 bitcoin. I know some people personally who have over 1000 bitcoin. They basically gambled their life savings on bitcoin. I'm not that ballsy.

If you hold 21 bitcoin, you are already in the 1 million club. No more than 1 million people in the world can have more bitcoin than you.
Viscera

Activity: 660

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 09:16:01 PM

Mega early adopters or already fiat millonaires with 100000+ BTC can move markets at will, specially under cooperation. They can rig the market if they all act in sync, thats why we need price crashes, to scare all those lucky individuals holding too much money and spread out the wealth across individuals.

I think a miniwhale is anyone with more than 1000 BTC. Alone can't do much, but a group of them can set trends.

I know a few people with over a 1000 coins, I've seen them start a 5-10% downtrend on Bitfinex with 4x margin back when that was available.

I think 1000 BTC is a whale now he can buy a private island property. bitcoin keeps on pumping and it's unstoppable we can't stop bitcoin because major adoption is happening around the globe. banks right now are emerging in blockchains
DrGuns4Hands

Activity: 910
Merit: 550

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 09:18:21 PM

they're the one who is early investors in bitcoin the one who has a thousand of bitcoin and now a millionaire after a couple years. If I'm just not broke at that time I'm sure that I can make a millions too right now.
amzad

Activity: 172
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 10:34:24 AM

The term "whale" is used frequently to describe the big bucks of Bitcoin players who show their hands on the Bitcoin market. The sea is suitable as a metaphor for the market, since it can extend to include a large fish and small fish; Only sharks; Rally as lean food; Wave to market; And so forth.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: