Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 12:08:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tablet POS, preferably andriod with built in QR reader  (Read 581 times)
MDHoldings (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 12:40:09 AM
Last edit: September 14, 2012, 01:05:37 AM by MDHoldings

I run a couple business's and looking to install a POS and test the waters on bitcoin. Maybe give some bitcoin out in a coupons. just a QR linked to block-chain wallet. Password would only be given out at the store. if by a certain date no one uses them, ill just clear out the wallet.

I got some tablets sitting around. Thinking of just mounting it in a store; any good apps out there?

Wound be cool if I could hook up a bar-code scanner with prices. or just a USB number pad soo my teller can enter the price in USD then the customer see's the price in bitcoin.

Also would like to see an APP I can set the conversion rate. Prefable in real time on a website I control. Allowing me to pad it a bit to help me avoid any volatility issues.

Thanks

got my answer. great video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHz6GnbxYwQ
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 02:54:59 AM

Wound be cool if I could hook up a bar-code scanner with prices. or just a USB number pad soo my teller can enter the price in USD then the customer see's the price in bitcoin.

The Blockchain for Android  (which is tied to your Blockchain.info/wallet ) lets you enter the price in USD (in the amount field click the "pen" to edit the currency) but it just converts using the BTC/USD rate.

Also would like to see an APP I can set the conversion rate. Prefable in real time on a website I control. Allowing me to pad it a bit to help me avoid any volatility issues.

If you use BitPay, they take care of any volatility issues.   So from your tablet you simply load your merchant checkout page, enter the amount (in USDs if you wish), click Checkout Now and then BitPay presents an invoice with the QR code for the customer to scan.  The QR code includes the amount of BTCs.  If your account is set up to keep the proceeds as BTCs, then the fee is 1%.  If you want USDs instead, then the fee is 3%.  But that conversion to USDs happens at the price at the time of sale, so you aren't exposed to exchange rate risk.  They will then send the USD amount as an ACH/Direct Deposit transaction.  

Here's an example of the merchant's side:
 - https://bitpay.com/m/428316/checkout

It would be nice for a merchant solution where there is no intermediary, and that will likely be built as there are more and more brick & mortar merchants coming on board.  When rolling your own though, there is still the risk to accepting payment on zero confirmations:
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Double-spending

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █