Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:10:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PayPal set to suspend domestic transactions in Argentina  (Read 4703 times)
sironitomas

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 01:42:16 AM

UKash is not an option. There is just one company selling coupons and only in Buenos Aires.

Me and a few others are already buying/selling bitcoins at bitcoinary.

https://www.bitcoinary.com/en/users/718/profile
https://www.bitcoinary.com/en/users/1174/profile

As for the acceptance, a lot of us are confused and many think you can only get bitcoins by mining. There are a few discussions on reddit to read:

http://www.reddit.com/r/argentina/comments/zrjma/hay_otra_soluci%C3%B3n_a_los_dolares_bitcoin/
http://www.reddit.com/r/argentina/comments/ztf3h/bitcoins_che/

We certainly need to promote Bitcoin here and make people understand it can really work.

Regards!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 05:14:18 AM

To those saying that bitcoin can be easily blocked: Shouldn't it be easier to stop bittorrent than bitcoin?

No one has made an effort to stop bittorrent that I know of, only throttle it. And there are many legitimate uses for torrents. I don't see why one would be particularly easier or harder than the other to block.

majamalu
Legendary

Activity: 1652

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2012, 05:49:02 AM

To those saying that bitcoin can be easily blocked: Shouldn't it be easier to stop bittorrent than bitcoin?

No one has made an effort to stop bittorrent that I know of, only throttle it.

AFAIK BitTorrent is far from being throttled. Arguably the exact opposite is true.

http://elbitcoin.org - Bitcoin en español
http://mercadobitcoin.com - MercadoBitcoin
Etlase2

Activity: 798

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 12:46:51 PM

AFAIK BitTorrent is far from being throttled. Arguably the exact opposite is true.

I don't know how you could possibly argue that the opposite is true unless you think that bittorrent traffic impedes other traffic, which is possible I suppose.

But ISPs have most definitely attempted to throttle bittorrent traffic.

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-throttling-internet-providers-exposed-111020/

mobodick

Activity: 840

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 12:56:24 PM

Actually, if Bitcoin gained any momentum there, it is likely that their government would try to block it

How?
Blocking bitcoin traffic maybe?
If your answer is encrypted tunneling then they can block that.
If your answer is use Tor then they can block access to Tor.
In any case, they have enough points of attack to cripple general bitcoin use.

It's just as easy, but people generally think it's unethical and so usually ISPs only throttle it.
If a country realy wants to stop large scale distributed networks (and that is what we are talking about) then nothing can stop it.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 01:03:29 PM

Actually, if Bitcoin gained any momentum there, it is likely that their government would try to block it

How?

It's just as easy, but people generally think it's unethical and so usually ISPs only throttle it.
If a country realy wants to stop large scale distributed networks (and that is what we are talking about) then nothing can stop it.

Pics or it didn't happen  Grin
mobodick

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 01:08:44 PM

How?

Pics or it didn't happen  Grin

Well, i live in the netherlands and most ISPs throttle torrent traffic in one way or another.
There is nothing, besides their ethics and competition (ISPs are not very state controlled here), to prevent them from blocking it alltogether.
mobodick

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 01:12:55 PM

...except for the general public. There where large demonstrations throughout Europe over ACTA and in some countries it came close to riots. Attempting to filter bitcoin, torrents etc. would, in effect, be an attempt to regulate internet access to only accepted protocols and require further regulation to only accepted addresses as those technologies piggyback onto the accepted protocols. It wouldn't get to that stage though, the civil unrest would get out of hand first.
We were talking about argentina.
You think that protests would prevent the government there from blocking something they wanted?
And i agree that civil unrest would escalate and bitcoin would not be the reason for it.
If information flow is hampered to such degree a country has bigger problems than their monetary system.
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 01:31:20 PM

Well, i live in the netherlands and most ISPs throttle torrent traffic in one way or another.
There is nothing, besides their ethics and competition (ISPs are not very state controlled here), to prevent them from blocking it alltogether.

To my experience, ISP:s even advertise their services as a fast way to get movies and music. It is also highly competitive environment, at least in Finland. I'm pretty sceptical that ISPs would block bittorrent altogether, since bittorrent is one of the most important reasons why people buy fast internet connections from ISPs.

They are probably doing throttling because of profits, not because of censorship/laws.

mobodick

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 01:38:05 PM

To my experience, ISP:s even advertise their services as a fast way to get movies and music. It is also highly competitive environment, at least in Finland. I'm pretty sceptical that ISPs would block bittorrent altogether, since bittorrent is one of the most important reasons why people buy fast internet connections from ISPs.

They are probably doing throttling because of profits, not because of censorship/laws.
Yes, but again, we are talking about the future of argentina here.
I gave the example of the netherlands purely from a technical point of view because people said it was technically unfeasible.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 02:12:37 PM

Yes, but again, we are talking about the future of argentina here.
I gave the example of the netherlands purely from a technical point of view because people said it was technically unfeasible.

If you really think the Argentine government can block the Bitcoin network (or, for that matter, can do anything else that requires even a mildly sophisticated degree of organization), then you clearly have never been to the place  Grin

I suspect not even Germany would be able to fully block the network, certainly the Chinese haven't been, but Argentina? We are here, and you're out to lunch somewhere.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 05:20:50 PM

I recommend all of you upvote this right away (and contribute if you can speak spanish!):

http://www.reddit.com/r/argentina/comments/ztf3h/bitcoins_che/
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: