Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 01:13:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Woman Deemed World's Oldest Person Dies at 116 in Michigan  (Read 2144 times)
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 12:32:33 AM

A woman deemed the world's oldest person died in Michigan, about a month after her 116th birthday.

Jeralean Talley died Wednesday evening at her home in the Detroit suburb of Inkster, according to her daughter, Thelma Holloway. Holloway said Thursday that her mother was recently hospitalized and treated for fluid in her lungs before returning home "just where she wanted to be."

Talley turned 116 last month. She celebrated at her church and a local office of the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. Attendees at the second event included U.S. Rep. John Conyers. The Democrat is the longest-serving member in the House, but even at 86 he was still three decades younger than Talley.

"People asked her, 'How do you feel about being the oldest person in the world?'" Holloway said of her mother. "She said, 'I still feel the same. That's God's work, not mine.' ... She enjoyed life as long as she was here."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/woman-deemed-worlds-oldest-person-dies-116-michigan-31865460
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 02:14:22 AM

RIP Jeralean Talley. She was just 6 years short of the all time record, currently being held by Jeanne Calment of France (1875–1997), who died at the age of 122. The medical sector is getting more and more innovative now, and new drugs are being found. So in the future, it won't be unusual for people to live up to 120 years.
melody82

Activity: 378
Merit: 257

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 02:30:49 AM

116, it is amazing to think a handful of people live that long.  Who knows, maybe with all of this longevity research some of us might have a shot at living an unusually long life.
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2015, 06:42:08 AM

RIP Jeralean Talley. She was just 6 years short of the all time record, currently being held by Jeanne Calment of France (1875–1997), who died at the age of 122. The medical sector is getting more and more innovative now, and new drugs are being found. So in the future, it won't be unusual for people to live up to 120 years.

Yes but will the medical community be able to improve the quality of life at that age? Living that long would be great! Spending 30+ years as very elderly with limited mobility or freedom would be a challenge. (Not awful, just a challenge).

How long could you, would you want to, live elderly?

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 06:55:02 AM

Yes but will the medical community be able to improve the quality of life at that age? Living that long would be great! Spending 30+ years as very elderly with limited mobility or freedom would be a challenge. (Not awful, just a challenge).

The medical community has improved the quality of life already. In 1900, the average life expectancy in the third world nations stood at just 22 years (for the United States it was 44 years). It has increased by more than 3 times now. And earlier, people used to retire at 45 or 50. Now, I am seeing people working at even 80 years of age.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 12:22:51 PM

i remember one of those super old lady, they asked her what was her secret to live so long, and she said that she was eating 3 eggs per day

after that day i started eating 3 eggs a day as well, now i feel more fuller in the morning

these old men are a well of wisdom
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 12:44:04 PM

I remember one of those super old lady, they asked her what was her secret to live so long, and she said that she was eating 3 eggs per day

after that day i started eating 3 eggs a day as well, now i feel more fuller in the morning

It will work with some people, and will not work with someone else. In the Caucasus region of the former Soviet Union, there was a man called Shirali Muslimov (died in 1973), who claimed that he was 168 years old. Some Russian researchers also confirmed his claim, from the census records. He claimed that yoghurt was the secret for his longeivity. The Danone company made a lot of publicity about it, to sell their yoghurt products.
moneyflow

Activity: 281

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 12:52:29 PM

How many of you guys think you can make it till 70?  Cheesy
Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2015, 04:55:47 PM

The medical community has improved the quality of life already. In 1900, the average life expectancy in the third world nations stood at just 22 years (for the United States it was 44 years). It has increased by more than 3 times now. And earlier, people used to retire at 45 or 50. Now, I am seeing people working at even 80 years of age.

I'm not sure that length of life always correlates to quality of life. I also don't think that comparing today with 115 years ago is fair either.

jayce
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1501

Pie Baking Contest: https://tinyurl.com/2s3z6dee

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2015, 05:10:44 PM

Since most of world people eat fast foods more than healthy foods nowadays, and surely I do too, I think it will be hard for us to live until our ages over 100 years old. The other factors that affected our life expectancy are quality of air, water, global warming, traffic accidents, and war. RIP Jeralean Talley

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 08:28:34 PM

i remember one of those super old lady, they asked her what was her secret to live so long, and she said that she was eating 3 eggs per day

Surely it's just a genetic lottery win? Humans certainly aren't designed to live that long and people with perfectly respectable lifestyles drop dead in their 50s and 60s every day.

If I was still above ground at 115 I'm not sure I'd be too pleased unless I'd been thoroughly upgraded along the way.

bitcoin1992

Activity: 342

View Profile
June 19, 2015, 10:01:43 PM

I don't think I'd ever want to be the oldest person. Seems like it's a pretty dangerous position. Everyone always ends up dying.
BLKBITZ

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 01:12:23 AM

Surely it's just a genetic lottery win? Humans certainly aren't designed to live that long and people with perfectly respectable lifestyles drop dead in their 50s and 60s every day.

If I was still above ground at 115 I'm not sure I'd be too pleased unless I'd been thoroughly upgraded along the way.

its a lot like anything else in life its just luck because even if you have the genetics you could still be killed by other things.
jayce
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2015, 05:38:37 AM

I don't think I'd ever want to be the oldest person. Seems like it's a pretty dangerous position. Everyone always ends up dying.

Yeah I'm little bit hesitate here whether my family or my grandchild want to take care of me when I am over 100 years old or they will send me to nursing home LOL. Atleast we need to fulfill all of our wishes before we get old, so it doesn't matter until when we are living.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 05:45:06 AM

I am not sure whether the secret for longevity lies in the genes or in the lifestyle. But you can't say that humans aren't designed to live that long. There are references from 400 or 500 year ago, about people living up to 100 year or more. As the living standards increase, along with the advancement in the medical science, longevity will increase further.
jayce
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2015, 06:41:11 AM
Last edit: June 20, 2015, 07:40:17 AM by jayce

I am not sure whether the secret for longevity lies in the genes or in the lifestyle. But you can't say that humans aren't designed to live that long. There are references from 400 or 500 year ago, about people living up to 100 year or more. As the living standards increase, along with the advancement in the medical science, longevity will increase further.

Yeah because that people never eat something delicious like BigMac, French Fries, and coke lol. We need to change lifestyle and live in the village with fresh air to improve our life quality, but I don't see what's the point of we live that long if we can't take care ourselves anymore and just become a burden to our family.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 10:55:59 AM

Yeah because that people never eat something delicious like BigMac, French Fries, and coke lol. We need to change lifestyle and live in the village with fresh air to improve our life quality, but I don't see what's the point of we live that long if we can't take care ourselves anymore and just become a burden to our family.

I am not an expert, so I can't comment on the effect which processed food can have on longevity. That said, I don't know whether living in villages can shield you from pollution. With advancement in transportation and industry, there is no area within the earth which is not polluted. Even areas bereft of human inhabitation, such as Antarctica are polluted.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 11:06:25 AM

It's been repeatedly proven to be possible, but that doesn't mean it's viable or intended. Mother nature has little use for a 115 yr old quietly farting in the corner of the cave.
jayce
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2015, 02:10:46 PM

I am not an expert, so I can't comment on the effect which processed food can have on longevity. That said, I don't know whether living in villages can shield you from pollution. With advancement in transportation and industry, there is no area within the earth which is not polluted. Even areas bereft of human inhabitation, such as Antarctica are polluted.

You are right, no place that not polluted, but atleast there are some place that have cleaner air than urban areas. I think it can make us be healthier and our age can be little longer.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
dblink

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 05:53:19 PM

"People asked her, 'How do you feel about being the oldest person in the world?'" Holloway said of her mother. "She said, 'I still feel the same. That's God's work, not mine.' ... She enjoyed life as long as she was here."

Indeed it is a God's gift to that respected oldest woman. Whenever God wish to take back any soul, it takes on its own time and with his own wish. If she was spending her life with happiness among her kids, definitely it was blessed life and she had more time to understand every human character and it's purpose of creation. Really she experienced so many wonderful things in this world than any others.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: