Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:34:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bug Report: Missing Email Notifications  (Read 1295 times)
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2012, 05:23:41 AM

Sadly I can't pinpoint the issue or give correct "how to reproduce" instructions, but I have been missing a lot of emails lately from bitcointalk.

Notification emails on thread I'm subscribed to were always reliable for me ... but sometime in the last month or so, I have been finding out that threads I'm subscribed to have been updated, without any emails being sent to me. I thought maybe I accidentally missed a mail or two, but this pattern is far to consistent now to associate it with a mistake on my part (I practice Inbox Zero, and I don't miss emails ... plus, my host is Gmail, and bitcointalk posts have never been classified as spam).

So, I have to conclude there is some bug in the notification email system, and would suggest that an admin/dev investigate this. Or we can just wait to migrate to the new forum software, whenever that happens.

For me personally, the bug is quite annoying ... I don't know if others have felt the same issues or not.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
live627

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 12:25:42 AM

I subscribed to this thread. I'll comment after someone replies.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 12:48:10 AM
Last edit: September 15, 2012, 01:00:09 AM by psy

You only get an email when a new post is made after you visit the thread after your last email notification.
If you get an email notification and you don't visit the thread you will not get another one no matter how many replies have been made until you visit the thread again.
It's not a bug, it's a feature.
live627

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 12:55:28 AM

Just now got mail.
live627

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 01:05:57 AM

You only get an email when a new post is made after you visit the thread after your last email notification.
If you get an email notification and you don't visit the thread you will not get another one no matter how many replies have been made until you visit the thread again.
It's not a bug, it's a feature.
And see how to configure it:

So, if you uncheck that box, it'll send email on ALL replies.
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2012, 08:16:02 AM

Guys, I know how the forums work.
I know I need to visit a thread to get more replies... this is how I've been using the forums for the last 1.5 years.

I'm saying that I felt a change in the last month or so, where I didn't receive any emails even after I visited a thread.

One recent example from yesterday:

I visited this thread yesterday, wrote a post, and haven't received any of the replies written in this thread after that. Bug.

live627

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 09:44:34 PM

You didn't accidentally "unsubscribe"? Click "Notify" in that thread and post what the popup alert says.
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2012, 02:51:26 AM

You didn't accidentally "unsubscribe"? Click "Notify" in that thread and post what the popup alert says.

I can accept this explanation when it's one or two incidents. Lately, I've had a lot more such incidents, and I double checked ... and I was subscribed to the threads in question.

ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 02:55:56 PM

Happened again today with this thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=110095.0

I created it today, and didn't receive any notifications by email when people replied.
I then checked by clicking on notify, and the popup told me that I am already subscribed to the thread (as it should be).

Can someone please take a look at this bug? It's super annoying.

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 05:38:16 PM

Maybe you should try using the Watchlist feature instead of email notifications.
Morranr

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 02:51:07 PM

Double check your spam folders.  I use gmail and these emails were going to spam.  I had to create a gmail filter to tell it specifically to never send these emails to spam.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: