Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:45:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which wallet program?  (Read 3751 times)
studysession (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 08:43:05 PM

There seems to be many wallet programs. Is one better than the other?

I am setting up a RasPi2 and leaning more towards MultiBit just because it looks easy to install... I have zero experience in this area and would love some input....

Thank you

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
studysession (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 09:16:59 PM

It installed successfully and I created a wallet with MultiBit HD...

Now for some reason it is always in a connecting state which I need to figure out...

subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 09:28:17 PM

https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

heres a list of wallets, as you might know already

there is no "best wallet," there is however, a wallet that best suits your needs. I urge you to read up on each wallet before choosing which one you like best or gives you what you need.

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
studysession (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 09:32:18 PM

I have been trying to figure out the differences....

I am doing this for now to better educate myself on the topic and see if I can setup my RasPi as a miner (posted in another thread)

MultiBit HD seemed to be easiest to install but it is having trouble connecting to the bitcoin network so I have to assume that is on my router or something... Not much is coming up on google for that answer....

I am going to "TRY" to install one or two others just to see how they work... So far this is the only one I have gotten to install...

THANKS Smiley
Always wanting to learn more
studysession (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 09:49:55 PM

Got Electrum to install and seems to connect to the network fine...

At least getting exposure to different wallet softwares...
1FfmbHfnpaZjKFvyi1okTjJJu

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

Im not 1FfmbHfnpaZjKFvyi1okTjJJusN455paPH

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 10:00:05 PM

I am setting up a RasPi2 and leaning more towards MultiBit just because it looks easy to install... I have zero experience in this area and would love some input....

Thank you

Bitcoin Core is better for you Grin
also we can help network with running node it Smiley
subSTRATA
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 10:06:21 PM

Thank you

not always; not everyone wants to download the whole blockchain to use the wallet considering its over 20 GB now, nearing 30 i believe. multibit/electrum are perfectly fine to use.

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 10:27:04 PM

Thank you

not always; not everyone wants to download the whole blockchain to use the wallet considering its over 20 GB now, nearing 30 i believe. multibit/electrum are perfectly fine to use.

yeah that simple than bitcoin core but bitcoin core is best wallet to server Smiley
for cold wallet im recomended electrum
studysession (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 11:10:52 PM

I have been having problems getting bitcoin core to compile and install
I stated earlier I am setting up a minor that I posted here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1094149.msg11664812

I was trying to install various wallets and looking at the softwares. Electrum was the easiest to setup by far.
MultiBit HD never connected to a server....just kept trying to connect. Electrum seem to work without a problem. I would be curious what is the cause for MultiBit since Electrum was able to connect....

I am still having loads of trouble installing bitcoin core.... regardless if using for mining or not I am determined to figure out how to get this to install properly. Smiley

All and all I am still learning and moving forward. I appreciate all the advice and help.
subSTRATA
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 11:25:25 PM

I have been having problems getting bitcoin core to compile and install
I stated earlier I am setting up a minor that I posted here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1094149.msg11664812

I was trying to install various wallets and looking at the softwares. Electrum was the easiest to setup by far.
MultiBit HD never connected to a server....just kept trying to connect. Electrum seem to work without a problem. I would be curious what is the cause for MultiBit since Electrum was able to connect....

I am still having loads of trouble installing bitcoin core.... regardless if using for mining or not I am determined to figure out how to get this to install properly. Smiley

All and all I am still learning and moving forward. I appreciate all the advice and help.

chances are you already installed it properly, it just takes a long time to start up and needs to download the entire blockchain it all of its 30GB's of glory. until then, the bar near the bottom should say something like "28 weeks behind" or something, itll take a while for it to sync.

studysession (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2015, 11:33:08 PM

It did not install properly - each time I ran make keep getting errors....
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1007

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 01:24:38 AM

Thank you

It's more like 70 GB, my bitcoin folder is over 69 GB, plus i got Armory which is another 15 GB.  Sad

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 06:45:15 AM

what type of error? some along the line of a corrupted wallet, or error for the client itself? did you compiled it successfully?
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2015, 07:17:35 AM

what type of error? some along the line of a corrupted wallet, or error for the client itself? did you compiled it successfully?

No. He was getting BDB error. He only have 1GB RAM which may cause problem. I think it's good for him to use lightweight clients.

ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2015, 07:46:56 AM

Thank you

It's more like 70 GB, my bitcoin folder is over 69 GB, plus i got Armory which is another 15 GB.  Sad

Electrum solve your problem Wink

Im using XAPO Smiley

I'm use XAPO too for online wallet, but remember don't store big amount in online wallet Wink

~iki
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 09:09:09 AM

Thank you

It is nice for people to run nodes.  But if this is going to be a main wallet I would suggest using a cold wallet.  Most likely a lightweight wallet so you don't have to download the chain when you plug it online.  Use it only for the wallet, don't surf internet or other things on it.

Also make a backup via paper wallet or usb.   You will want to store it in a secure location.  But you don't want to use just one copy where if it get's  corrupt your losing your coins.

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 10:09:25 AM

Thank you

Electrum solve your problem Wink

Im using XAPO Smiley

I'm use XAPO too for online wallet, but remember don't store big amount in online wallet Wink

~iki

How about Exchnager im using bittrex to my 2nd wallet because everyday i trade in bittrex  Undecided
lama-hunter

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 10:11:53 AM

I just regocnized that there are different Fees - Im Using The Core Wallet which has less Fees than other like Xapo, or Core(Mobile)

Regards
Hexcoin

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 10:16:13 AM

I just regocnized that there are different Fees - Im Using The Core Wallet which has less Fees than other like Xapo, or Core(Mobile)

Regards

What fees are you pointing out? AFAIK xapo dont take any fees

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 10:20:32 AM

Regards

XAPO and coinbase is 0% fee satosi
so how many fee you get with core wallet Huh

are you get some satosi if you send your BTC Huh
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: