Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:19:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Amazon gift cards  (Read 4989 times)
AceWallen (OP)

Activity: 479
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 03:59:39 AM

i've always been hesitant to buy Amazon gift cards at a discount, because i don't know what happens if you spend the money and the gift cards come up fraudulent after the fact. anyone know?

i'm tempted by the discounts. Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
illyiller

Activity: 697
Merit: 520

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 04:05:38 AM

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I use my Amazon account a lot, and I don't want any trouble....
klovishey

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

Selling Coupons Babie

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 02:38:42 PM

Nothing, The gift card could have come from anywhere. They know about online sales and fraud. I have used many amazon codes I bought online discounted
EvenMatt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

★secondstrade.com★

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 05:35:43 PM

Nothing, The gift card could have come from anywhere. They know about online sales and fraud. I have used many amazon codes I bought online discounted
you can come in hells kitchen
when you redeem too many fraudulant cards on the same amazon account
'worst case' they might shut you down and freezing your amazon ballance

Superhitech
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 03:17:47 AM

Usually, if the price is too good to be true, it's a scam. Cards from a trusted member, (around the rank of full member or higher) are usually safe. Avoid buying carded gift cards, amazon might catch onto you. Buy at your own risk, hopefully you can get what you are looking for.  Smiley
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 06:12:38 PM

This surprisingly hasn't happened to me yet from all the gift cards I've bought before(and no tidus, if you're reading this, I'm not referring to you Wink ) but I would assume that you'd be filed for fraud and the money would be withdrawn from the connected card attached to that account. Once the items have been shipped and the card reflects to be bad then, you would have stolen items.

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
AceWallen (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 07:38:04 PM

This surprisingly hasn't happened to me yet from all the gift cards I've bought before(and no tidus, if you're reading this, I'm not referring to you Wink ) but I would assume that you'd be filed for fraud and the money would be withdrawn from the connected card attached to that account. Once the items have been shipped and the card reflects to be bad then, you would have stolen items.

what? money withdrawn from the card attached to the account? that seems highly unlikely. someone sending you a bad gift card doesn't entitle them to steal money from you.

thanks for the responses.
Gyfts
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 1512

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 01:07:55 AM

They'll pretty much just shut down your Amazon account. If the funds haven't been spent, they will revoke the gift card funds, and maybe freeze your account for investigation of sorts. But, if the money is spent, your account is gone.
EvenMatt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

★secondstrade.com★

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 01:51:47 AM

yes and you need to give back your goods.
its like the police finds out you bought a stolen car.you cant keep it ...even though you bought it^^

d0om

Activity: 171
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 06:01:33 AM

Amazon will investigate your account / run an analysis. If there is evidence you are knowingly facilitating fraudulent activities, they won't hesitate to shut down your account. The same way they will shut down your account if they're "losing money" on your account (returns, lost shipments, etc).

How are there so many amazon gift cards going around, and for so cheap? Something is rigged up through Amazon, and someone is making a pretty penny.

erpbridge
Legendary

Activity: 954

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 08:32:29 PM

its like the police finds out you bought a stolen car.you cant keep it ...even though you bought it^^

I have never heard anyone having to do that. They just shutdown your account or cancel your order if they realize it before that the card was purchased in a fradulent manner. Incase you happen to be questions about it, you could just say you purchased it off ebay or a forum and was being offered at a good price so you bought  it.

Usually, if the price is too good to be true, it's a scam. Cards from a trusted member, (around the rank of full member or higher) are usually safe. Avoid buying carded gift cards, amazon might catch onto you. Buy at your own risk, hopefully you can get what you are looking for.  Smiley
That again isn't the best way of analyzing these cards. Someone could offer you a carded gift card for 85% of the cost, and that wouldn't make it legit. The latter part does apply.
JerryCurlzzz

Activity: 504

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 08:58:06 PM

What? Never heard of that. That's crazy. The reason online marketplaces allow the buying and selling of gift cards is because it's completely legal and ostensibly legitimate. Do fraudulently acquired cards make their way into that market? You betcha. But that ain't my fault, as a legitimate buyer.

Amazon accepted the payment in the form of gift cards. They can't try to claw back money from you.
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2015, 11:07:43 PM

i've always been hesitant to buy Amazon gift cards at a discount, because i don't know what happens if you spend the money and the gift cards come up fraudulent after the fact. anyone know?

If the order has not fully went through yet, then it is cancelled, and the balance is withheld (i believe). 

If the order has already been processed and shipped to your address, then I believe that the cops might actually show up.  It all depends on how amazon wants to deal with it. 
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Habeler876

Activity: 624

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 04:23:17 AM

If the order has not fully went through yet, then it is cancelled, and the balance is withheld (i believe). 

If the order has already been processed and shipped to your address, then I believe that the cops might actually show up.  It all depends on how amazon wants to deal with it. 
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The burden would be on Amazon and law enforcement to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you intended to receive stolen goods. Without a very extensive history of using consistently fraudulent gift cards, that's completely impossible, and even then, it probably wouldn't cut the mustard for a prosecutor. The fact that one used a gift card that was fraudulently obtained is absolutely not prima facie evidence of any crime being committed by the gift card holder. There is no proof of engaging in fraud, nor is there proof of intention to receive stolen goods.

The reality is that Amazon is the biggest gift card market in the world. This is a cost of doing business for them. Pursuing customers in every case of gift card fraud 1) isn't going to increase their revenue and 2) is going to lose them every customer they pull this on.

They're just not interested. Do it enough and they will shut down your account and confiscate the balance -- because you are a liability that is costing them money. That's the only reasonable solution from a business perspective.

oxiyusuf

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 04:52:31 AM

should not do if you are in doubt, but it is the way their promotions, naturally if everyone interested, the key find someone who has used it may be helpful
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 12:18:31 PM

I found this after searching for some cases of bad cards.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1723449

I applied the gift cards, they showed up on my Amazon gift card balance, then paid the guy.

Today I noticed that $100 was taken away from my gift card balance. Apparently one of the cards was bought with an account which has since been closed and is now being investigated. The purchases were rescinded, and I've lost that gift card. I may lose the others as well, depending on if they were from the same account. The investigation of the account happens in phases according to the Amazon rep, and other purchases from the account being investigated may be repealed.

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
CEG5952

Activity: 658

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 05:49:08 PM

I found this after searching for some cases of bad cards.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1723449

I applied the gift cards, they showed up on my Amazon gift card balance, then paid the guy.

Today I noticed that $100 was taken away from my gift card balance. Apparently one of the cards was bought with an account which has since been closed and is now being investigated. The purchases were rescinded, and I've lost that gift card. I may lose the others as well, depending on if they were from the same account. The investigation of the account happens in phases according to the Amazon rep, and other purchases from the account being investigated may be repealed.

What exactly does "may be repealed" mean? Does "purchases were rescinded" mean items were purchased but not yet shipped, and they cancelled the order? That post is really unclear.

LouisVuitton
Legendary

Activity: 896

Louis Vuitton

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 07:01:23 PM

No, you will not get in trouble for using these discounted Amazon gift cards, the worst thing they will do is blacklist your address, and ban your account.
AceWallen (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 07:36:54 PM

well.... it seems the answer really is not clear. Huh

purse.io is really attractive, but i wonder if these claims of law enforcement involvement in these cases are really true. seems a bit over the top. is buying a gift card at a discount really grounds for criminal proceedings? i agree with the person who said, there doesn't seem to be any proof of any wrongdoing there.
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2015, 11:27:14 PM

well.... it seems the answer really is not clear. Huh

purse.io is really attractive, but i wonder if these claims of law enforcement involvement in these cases are really true. seems a bit over the top. is buying a gift card at a discount really grounds for criminal proceedings? i agree with the person who said, there doesn't seem to be any proof of any wrongdoing there.
Purse.io has a buyer purchase protection policy, they established it this year after law enforcement showed up at one of their buyer's house.

Starting January 7th, when a spender purchases items from Purse, their purchases will be covered for any damages or costs resulting form the purchase up to $10,000 with our Purse Guarantee. This program will apply retroactively to any spenders who may report any damages related to Purse.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: