Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:33:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick BTC from Paypal via Virwox...  (Read 7633 times)
ryanAC (OP)

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 14, 2012, 10:15:17 PM

Just felt like trying this out... and took about 2 minutes to transact (but costs quite a bit - about 6% plus $2 i think).
Login to virwox.  Buy SLL with PayPal.  Then buy BTC with SLL.  Then withdraw BTC.

Any reason why anyone would do this, other than the curious like myself?

-Ryan

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 12:06:02 AM

Just felt like trying this out... and took about 2 minutes to transact (but costs quite a bit - about 6% plus $2 i think).
Login to virwox.  Buy SLL with PayPal.  Then buy BTC with SLL.  Then withdraw BTC.

There had been reports that the withdraw isn't instant like that.  Perhaps it varies based on factors such as payment method or customer status (e.g., new account).  But yours could be withdrawn instantly?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

ryanAC (OP)

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 12:58:29 AM

There had been reports that the withdraw isn't instant like that.  Perhaps it varies based on factors such as payment method or customer status (e.g., new account).  But yours could be withdrawn instantly?

Yes, I recall that it took a day to complete when I tried it 6 months ago.  I also think I got an email from someone mentioning that they had to process the btc withdrawl manually.  Perhaps having a seasoned account puts things into auto mode...

scintill

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2012, 01:24:51 AM
Last edit: September 17, 2012, 01:29:00 AM by scintill

Today I tried Virwox with a credit card, mostly for curiosity.  After fees and commissions, I've picked up a few bitcoins at ~$17 ea. (maybe could have done better if I put limit orders instead of just using the market rates).  But I'm waiting for some "manual step" on their side for them to allow the withdraw of BTC (I just created the account today.)

P.S. Not being able to buy fractions of bitcoins was annoying.  I ended up with some SLL I didn't need, so I put in an order to buy 1 BTC with the leftover (quite a bit below market), maybe I'll get it someday.

Edit 9/16/2012 5pm: my withdraw went through! Kinda long, but not bad considering the risk they're taking.

1SCiN5kqkAbxxwesKMsH9GvyWnWP5YK2W | donations
mobile4ever

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 01:37:52 AM

Today I tried Virwox with a credit card, mostly for curiosity.  After fees and commissions, I've picked up a few bitcoins at ~$17 ea. (maybe could have done better if I put limit orders instead of just using the market rates).  But I'm waiting for some "manual step" on their side for them to allow the withdraw of BTC (I just created the account today.)

P.S. Not being able to buy fractions of bitcoins was annoying.  I ended up with some SLL I didn't need, so I put in an order to buy 1 BTC with the leftover (quite a bit below market), maybe I'll get it someday.

Edit 9/16/2012 5pm: my withdraw went through! Kinda long, but not bad considering the risk they're taking.

So it took around a day to get it done, then?
scintill

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 01:44:05 AM

So it took around a day to get it done, then?

2 days.  Edit: From ryanAC's post, it sounds like it may be quicker if they trust your account somewhat.

mobile4ever

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 04:25:27 AM

2 days.  Edit: From ryanAC's post, it sounds like it may be quicker if they trust your account somewhat.

Okay, thanks... if it works, it beats waiting around here for people to stop watching the rate go up on BTC before they decide to respond.  Smiley

Zack

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 05:34:18 AM

Fees seem pretty steep with them...
mobile4ever

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 05:56:09 AM

This page:

https://www.virwox.com/faq.php#_manual

Says:

Withdrawals to bank accounts are usually processed on the morning of the next business day. While most withdrawals to PayPal, NETELLER, Moneybookers, and Bitcoin accounts are processed instantly, we manually check some of them for security reasons (for example of new accounts). They will be processed within 48 hours. In any case, you will receive an email confirmation when the withdrawal has been processed.
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 06:00:53 AM

I bought 2 BTC from Virwox back when they were trading at 4.70. I paid 12 dollars total and felt ripped off. It turned out to be better than waiting a month for Dwolla verification. I'd recommend it to anyone in a pinch.
scintill

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2012, 01:45:42 AM

Update on my review from earlier:  I just found a foreign transaction fee on my credit card bill -- $1.04 for the $52 I deposited via MoneyBookers.  The $52 charge says "MB*VIRWOX LONDON GBR" and I'm in the US.  Maybe I could have avoided this somehow, but I wasn't aware of it until I saw it on my bill.

I didn't know you could get fees like this when you're transacting in your card's native currency!  Another win for the truly international Bitcoin. Smiley

ryanAC (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 10:55:52 PM

Update on my review from earlier:  I just found a foreign transaction fee on my credit card bill -- $1.04 for the $52 I deposited via MoneyBookers.  The $52 charge says "MB*VIRWOX LONDON GBR" and I'm in the US.  Maybe I could have avoided this somehow, but I wasn't aware of it until I saw it on my bill.

I didn't know you could get fees like this when you're transacting in your card's native currency!  Another win for the truly international Bitcoin. Smiley

I feel like I had to specify that I wanted the transaction in USD, like perhaps it wasn't the default.  Could that be why you got hit with a foreign transaction fee?
scintill

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2012, 02:10:39 AM

I feel like I had to specify that I wanted the transaction in USD, like perhaps it wasn't the default.  Could that be why you got hit with a foreign transaction fee?

Maybe.  Something to keep in mind for anyone thinking about doing this.  I probably won't do it again since it was so expensive, at least from CC like I did.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: