Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 09:29:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2015-06-22] NBC: Ex-Secret Service Agent to Plead Guilty to Silk Road Theft  (Read 395 times)
bryant.coleman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 03:24:06 AM

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex-secret-service-agent-plead-guilty-silk-road-bitcoin-theft-n379416

A former Secret Service special agent who helped bring down Silk Road founder Ross Ulbricht will plead guilty to skimming hundreds of thousands of dollars in bitcoin and routing the money to his own accounts, according to federal court documents.

Bridges accessed Silk Road's systems in January 2013, reset several passwords and transferred about 20,000 bitcoin from the accounts, according to the complaint. He then converted the bitcoin into cash through a Japan-based bitcoin exchange and from there sent the money to the shell company's investment accounts, investigators said. The value of bitcoin in U.S. dollars fluctuates significantly, making it impossible to say what the haul was definitively "worth." But based on conversion rates at the time various transactions were made, federal prosecutors put the value of Bridges' loot at $820,000.

It would be interesting to see what sort of punishment will be given to this guy. Isn't Bridges the same guy who framed the attempt to murder charges against Ross Ullbricht?
Rimmer

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 12:29:19 PM

It would be interesting to see what sort of punishment will be given to this guy. Isn't Bridges the same guy who framed the attempt to murder charges against Ross Ullbricht?

I believe they were involved. That's likely why the murder charges were dropped against him. Who knows what sort of funny business the corrupt cops got up to. I think I read they were also trying to sell him information.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: