Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:55:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: signing a message on bitcoin address  (Read 1467 times)
lockepi (OP)

Activity: 469
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 10:08:41 AM

how do i sign a message on a bitcoin address
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RappelzReborn

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 10:10:11 AM

If there is a thread that will help you in this case then that would Shorena thread , I personally learned signing message from him/her .
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=990345.0

lockepi (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 10:14:40 AM

can i not sign messages created by a exchange
RappelzReborn

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 10:16:28 AM

can i not sign messages created by a exchange

You mean sign a message with an adress on a exchange website ? You can sign anything you own it private key as far as I know so unless this website allow export private keys to import them on other wallets or allow you sign messages (most of exchanges don't) then you can't do it sadly

BitcoinRichman

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 10:17:31 AM

use this https://brainwallet.github.io/#verify
Bizmark13

Activity: 462

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 12:11:55 PM

That only works if you have the private key for the address, which most exchanges won't give you. What exchange are you using OP?
lockepi (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 12:47:20 PM

using c-cex
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2015, 01:08:45 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2015, 01:39:20 PM by shorena

That only works if you have the private key for the address, which most exchanges won't give you. What exchange are you using OP?

It also requires you to give the private key to someone else, which is a bad idea. handle a raw private key, which is a bad idea.[1]

using c-cex

You have no wallet, but just a balance with a service. Without a wallet of your own, you have no access to the needed private keys to sign a message.

[1] corrected after Bizmark13's remark -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1096427.msg11683213#msg11683213

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Argwai96
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

Thug for life!

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 01:15:40 PM

i would suggest to use electrum to sign a msg is pretty easy to do with their user interface try out, but if you need to do from c-cex i dont think that possible since you dont own the address, look at the customer agreement maybe you can ask to have your private key exporter from c-cex .
Bizmark13

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 01:25:51 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2015, 01:39:26 PM by Bizmark13

It also requires you to give the private key to someone else, which is a bad idea.

You're not giving the private key to someone else. The code is open source and it's all client-side JS. It's probably safe, but if you want to be even more sure that the website hasn't been tampered with, you can download the script yourself and run it locally using an offline computer.

i would suggest to use electrum to sign a msg is pretty easy to do with their user interface try out...

This is a good idea, although it would depend on why you need to sign a message from an address in the first place. The deposit address that C-CEX gives you isn't yours because it belongs to and is controlled by them. And you can't use it to sign a message since you can't sign a message from an address that you don't control.

Why do you want to sign a message OP? Is it to prove that you have control of the coins in that address? If so, then it would probably be best to transfer the coins on the exchange over to an Electrum address and sign a message from that instead.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2015, 01:38:01 PM

It also requires you to give the private key to someone else, which is a bad idea.

You're not giving the private key to someone else. The code is open source and it's all client-side JS. It's probably safe, but if you want to be even more sure that the website hasn't been tampered with, you can download the script yourself and run it locally using an offline computer.

Let me rephrase that: Its unnecessarily complicated and risky to use brainwallet when signing(!) a message. Just use your client/service.

Bizmark13

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 03:05:10 PM

Let me rephrase that: Its unnecessarily complicated and risky to use brainwallet when signing(!) a message. Just use your client/service.

Now that I agree with, especially since most people would need to open their client to obtain their private key anyway. I guess they could use a brainwallet passphrase or something like Vanitygen instead to generate private keys but even so, they would still need to fire up their client to make transactions.

using c-cex
So here is what you need to do, download a wallet

https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

Then withdraw your coins coins for C-cex to the receiving address in your wallet.

Then use the sign message option in the wallet.

This would be the best approach to take if OP just wants to prove that he controls the coins in that address. On the other hand, if OP wants to prove that he owns the actual address in question (e.g. perhaps he is the owner of an account linked to that address which has since been compromised and he needs to prove that it's actually him) then it wouldn't work. His only option then would be to ask C-CEX for the private key and I seriously doubt they would grant such a request.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2015, 09:22:21 PM

-snip-
Aren't exchanges fractional reserves? Even if he had the private key for it C-cex may not actually have any funds in his wallet but have a database somewhere that says the account has rights to that many coins.

I would assume that any legitimate exchange has exactly as many BTC under control as their database shows the customers. They would probably not be on the exact address, but mostly in cold storrage, but thats not fractional reserve.

ticoti

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 12:40:19 AM

The easiest way is to use keybase.io, I found other ways to sign a message really difficult
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2015, 12:58:44 PM

The easiest way is to use keybase.io, I found other ways to sign a message really difficult

Keybase is for PGP, not for Bitcoin and you are entrusting a third-party to handle your private key which is not safe.

el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3500
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 01:14:26 PM

In fact, many clients don't provide a function of signing messages, like any exchange sites, Android wallet, and some online wallets. Only few of the clients, which you get full access to your private key, allows you to sign a message, like bitcoin core, blockchain.info wallet, electrum, and some brain wallet sites (but need to search).

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2015, 01:23:20 PM

In fact, many clients don't provide a function of signing messages, like any exchange sites,

Exchange are no wallets or wallet services. They are trading platforms, I would not store any more than you are using for your trades there.

Android wallet,

Mycelium allows signing messages.

and some online wallets.

Most online wallets that do not allow you to sign, are a shared wallets. A good wallet (online or not) will always let you control the private keys.

Only few of the clients, which you get full access to your private key, allows you to sign a message, like bitcoin core, blockchain.info wallet, electrum, and some brain wallet sites (but need to search).

IMHO the most common wallets/services allow signing. Those that do not should be avoided. If you have no control over your private key, you have no control over your coins. If you have no control over your coins, you are using a bitcoin bank.

ikydesu

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2015, 04:52:50 PM

using c-cex

You can't get your private keys from the exchanger. My advice is sent your balance to cold wallet, my recommendation is Electrum because you don't need to download the data and easy to use sign message.

~iki
BitcoinRichman

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 03:03:30 AM

im not use exchange i use blockchain that give me full acces to my address
BitcoinNewbie15

Activity: 574
Merit: 296

Bitcoin isn't a bubble. It's the pin!

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 03:24:38 AM

This link (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=990345.0) was one of the first links posted, but I just wanted to vouch for it. This is a great tutorial, and it got me to understand how to sign messages.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: