Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:30:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How To Import A Private Key Using A MAC  (Read 1662 times)
Sage (OP)

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 01:08:52 AM
Last edit: September 16, 2012, 05:45:50 PM by Sage

Newbie question I'm sure...

How the $%& do I import the private key generated at bitaddress.org so I can actually spend those bitcoins sent to the public keys?

I'm running bitcoin-qt on a Mac.  

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 03:28:04 AM

How the $%& do I import the private key generated at bitaddress.org so I can actually spend those bitcoins sent to the public keys?

I'm running bitcoin-qt on a Mac.  

The Bitcoin-Qt client GUI doesn't have any support for that but bitcoind does.  On a Mac though, there is no bitcoind.  You could run Bitcoin-Qt in server mode ( $ bitcon-qt  -server ), and config file changes so that it could accept RPC commands but that's probably more than you want to do.

Mt. Gox makes it easy to redeem private keys.  Use the Funding tab.

Also Blockchain.info/wallet allows you to import private keys as wel.

- http://Blockchain.info/wallet

Then you an send the funds to your wallet on your Mac.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 04:09:09 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88477.msg974356#msg974356

Replace dumpprivkey by importprivkey on the instructions also leaving the bitcoin address out.

I would write a full guide but on the tablet keyboard I would take hours lol
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 08:05:30 AM

You can do it, but Bitcoin-qt will crash on my Mac with the key imported when restarted.

1.) Fire up Bitcoin-qt (v0.7.0rc2-beta in my case)

2.) Click on Help > Debug Window

3.) Click on console

4.) Type "importprivkey [keynumber]" in the prompt.

5.) Watch program crash

6.) Wait a minute. Start program again. See imported key.

It's not graceful and I wouldn't do it with a wallet with any funds in it.
wyager

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 04:17:51 PM

I recommend installing bitcoind if you want advanced features like this. The importprivkey function works fine with that.

OTC-WoT: 1BWF66DuVqBCSFksUgkLtdYmHucpBgPmVm
etotheipi
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2012, 04:29:57 PM

There's also alternative Bitcoin clients which have nice, pleasant user interfaces for doing this.  There's a list of popular ones on the main bitcoin.org website:

http://bitcoin.org/clients.html

Bitcoin-Qt is really not good for advanced functionality like this unless you want to use bitcoind on the command line.  That program is focused on stability and network security.  Other clients have really pioneered making other functionality, like importing private keys, easier for the average user.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 04:45:04 PM

I recommend installing bitcoind if you want advanced features like this. The importprivkey function works fine with that.

Except there is no bitcoind for Mac. You need to use Bitcoin-qt, run it with the server=1 flag on the bitcoin.conf file and pass it the commands using curl.
Sage (OP)

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 05:45:31 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I found a workaround for MAC. 

Using Multibit I export the private key.  Then open that exported file using Textedit.app and editing it with the new address.

Then importing that private key file back into Multibit.

Seems to be working.

BTW if some smart programmers and some excellent GUI people got together and made all the moving parts to using Bitcoin click simple (and mobile) it would likely be the single largest lever we have to getting mainstream adoption.

....add to that some viral tools built right into the software, recruiting the new users social network friends we could make this explode.

It took me a day just to learn how the system worked, how to secure everything, and how to use the system. 

All the resources are written by techies... with the assumption that everyone else understands the techie stuff.

Most mainstream won't go through that.  I needs to be click simple for the masses.  And because of the elegant design of Bitcoin I can't see why the tools to use it can't be click simple. 

Wish I was a techie...Perhaps when I get some more $$$ aside I'll recruit the right techies and make "Bitcoin Click Simple" a passion project for humanities sake Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: