Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:27:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Giving up on the Trezor soon.  (Read 3664 times)
Sakarias-Corporation (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Call me Alice. just Alice.

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2015, 01:51:44 PM

this is the third time in a month the Trezor Software has failed for me.

all my transactions becomes ''corrupted'' and BTC disappears from my account.
this usually happens if i make more then 3-15 transactions per day...

anyone else had this problem ? i can only resolve it by either wait for the Trezor team to reset some things or upload my Recovery seed to a new wallet.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2015, 01:52:35 PM

or it might just be Blockchain fucking things up when i check the transactions, anyway i'm getting a headache... :/

tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 03:46:10 PM

or it might just be Blockchain fucking things up when i check the transactions, anyway i'm getting a headache... :/

Your trezior relies on blockchain.info API?  That's a bit surprising (to me).  But if that *is* the case, you're right that bci is behaving pretty weirdly at the moment.  But I wouldn't expect htat bci's web page for exploring blocks would be messing up your trezior's ability to parse the blockchain for itself.  It should be getting info from it's nearest peers, not necessarily from bci---I would think.

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2015, 04:06:24 PM

Your trezior relies on blockchain.info API?  That's a bit surprising (to me).  But if that *is* the case, you're right that bci is behaving pretty weirdly at the moment.  But I wouldn't expect htat bci's web page for exploring blocks would be messing up your trezior's ability to parse the blockchain for itself.  It should be getting info from it's nearest peers, not necessarily from bci---I would think.

what no, that's not what i meant. what i meant was that i use Blockchain.info to trace the transaction to see if it went through. everything's good on my end but sometimes the transactions never show up on Blockchain.info. sometimes they make it through and sometimes i just lose some Balance and no Actual transaction took place even tho i got a Hash from my trezor (to check on Blockchain.info)
this time the hash i got (from my Trezor) was Broken, the Bitcoins did make it through after making 3 Transactions. (2 failed and 1 Succses) but i've lost some balance to the void, which i can only fix by Using my recovery seed on Electrum, ( not the the trezor, the problem still exists ) or Emial the Support to have them Reset or update from their End.

so right now, i have to Email the Trezor team again to have them Reset or just wait for them to do it automatically, which they sometimes do, but it can take a day(s) or two.
i can't make any transactions now since about 1 in 10 make it through while the other 9 just disappears lol. its all very very annoying. no bitcoins are actually lost from my wallet but i can't see them nor use them until the ''Reset''

also check this out lol. this was what happened before. i made a few transactions and suddenly they became ''corrupted'' as now. i reset my Trezor (this was the first time it occurred) and i went from 4 Bitcoins to 7... now of course i didn't get 3 Extra bitcoins. it was just a huge Malfunction (from the Trezor's part) i Reset my trezor maybe 10 Times using the Recovery seed. the problem still occurred no mather what i did, and even sometimes after the rest i could get more imaginary bitcoins... i finally got help to upload my bitcoins to Electrum..
after a few days the support finally answered my question and fixed everything and promised to fix the backend. which i think they did since i never got any more ''Imaginary bitcoins'' but there's still some problems with the trezor Software which needs to be fixed.

Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 04:23:24 PM

not sure if it is related, but blockchain infra is now obviously pushed by heavy load. check details here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1094865.0 there were almost 2.5k transactions per block in peak..

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2015, 04:24:31 PM

not sure if it is related, but blockchain infra is now obviously pushed by heavy load. check details here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1094865.0 there were almost 2.5k transactions per block in peak..

yes that can be true, but the trezor should not push a ''fake hash'' and make some bitcoins disappears if the transaction it self never took place.

tspacepilot
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1076

I may write code in exchange for bitcoins.

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 05:17:38 PM

@Sakarias,  Got it, now I understand why you referred to blockchain.  Your experience with trezior sounds super crazy, I can see why you're thinking about moving along.

Thanks I'm checking this out, I wonder if this is what's affecting not only the weird messages I'm getting from blockchain about the status of my transactions, but also why I haven't gotten a confirm on a transaction I sent with the standard fe almost 3 hours ago!
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2015, 08:20:52 AM

@Sakarias,
The last 24 hours in Bitcoin have been quite unusual as there has been a flood of transactions slowing down /preventing transactions from confirmed. (It's the coinwallet.eu stress test).

If it is myTrezor.com that you are having trouble with there are now several other wallets that support Trezor.
You can use your Trezor with all of MultiBit HD, Electrum and Mycelium. Try one of those wallets to see if your experience is better with one of those clients.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2015, 03:30:46 PM
Last edit: June 24, 2015, 05:50:31 PM by btchris

You can use your Trezor with all of MultiBit HD, Electrum and Mycelium. Try one of those wallets to see if your experience is better with one of those clients.

Sakarias-Corporation: Note that of these three, only Mycelium (edit: and also Electrum, my mistake) support multiple accounts (which you apparently make use of). GreenAddress.it also has TREZOR support, but I don't know if it supports multiple accounts with a TREZOR (and also it's an online multisig wallet, which may or may not be what you want).
NoBit

Activity: 326
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 04:11:25 PM

@Sakarias,
The last 24 hours in Bitcoin have been quite unusual as there has been a flood of transactions slowing down /preventing transactions from confirmed. (It's the coinwallet.eu stress test).

If it is myTrezor.com that you are having trouble with there are now several other wallets that support Trezor.

This. Stopped using mytrezor.com and never had any problems since. I use electrum + trezor atm.

Bitrated user: nobit.
ColderThanIce

Activity: 373
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 05:08:02 PM

Sakarias-Corporation: Note that of these three, only Mycelium supports multiple accounts (which you apparently make use of). GreenAddress.it also has TREZOR support, but I don't know if it supports multiple accounts with a TREZOR (and also it's an online multisig wallet, which may or may not be what you want).
That's not completely true. I'm using my Trezor with Electrum, and I'm able to access multiple accounts within Electrum.

ROLLIN.IO  BITCOIN   DICE   GAME
   ⚁    ⚂    ⚃    ⚄   ⚅   ⚁   ⚂
                                        ███████████████████    
                                      ██                                    ██
      ██████████████████                                    ██
      ██                            ██                                    ██
      ██                            ██                                    ██  
      ██                            ██                                    ██
      ██                            ██████████            ██████
      ██                            ██              ██          ██
      ██                            ██                 ██       ██
      ██                            ██                    ██    ██
      ███████        ███████                        ████
                ██     ██
                ██  ██
                ████

███████████
S  O  C  I  A  L
C H A T T I N G
                    ██
                  ████
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
      ████████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████ 
              ████████
              ████████

████████

████████
██████████████
LEVEL UP SYSTEM
   WITH REWADS
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████
█         ████████████████
   ██████████████████ 
     ████████████████
        █████████████
           ██████████
                █████
██████████████
 FREE BITCOINS
TigerMart

Activity: 268
Merit: 117

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 05:16:22 PM

@Sakarias,

Does it mean Trezor is built to work with various API including blockchain.info and we are connceting their BitcoinD only if we are using MyTrezor ?
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2015, 05:49:02 PM

Sakarias-Corporation: Note that of these three, only Mycelium supports multiple accounts (which you apparently make use of). GreenAddress.it also has TREZOR support, but I don't know if it supports multiple accounts with a TREZOR (and also it's an online multisig wallet, which may or may not be what you want).
That's not completely true. I'm using my Trezor with Electrum, and I'm able to access multiple accounts within Electrum.

I stand corrected, thanks.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 02:42:29 AM

You should defiantly not be using the web wallet (or whatever wallet you are using in that screenshot) with your trezor.

I am fairly certain that the issue that you were having previously (when I needed to help you regain access to funds "stuck" in your trezor) had something to do with that default trezor wallet.

In my experience, electrum is a far superior wallet software. Although if someone were to gain physical access to your computer, they could gain access to your funds if they also had a trezor.

Your best solution to keep your funds safe is most likely going to be using electrum in a "traditional" way with a recovery seed and a strong passphrase. Your seed will only be decrypted when you go to sign a message and/or spend your funds, and you are almost certain to not have these kinds of issues.
RustyNomad

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2015, 06:11:19 AM

In my experience, electrum is a far superior wallet software. Although if someone were to gain physical access to your computer, they could gain access to your funds if they also had a trezor.

Do you mind elaborating on the above?

Do I understand correctly, if I use Trezor with Electrum on my computer then there is a risk that somebody else can gain access to my funds should they be able to get hold of my computer and if they have their own Trezor?

So this would mean that just putting my Trezor in a safe is not enough, I need to lock my pc away as well?
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 06:14:06 AM

Do I understand correctly, if I use Trezor with Electrum on my computer then there is a risk that somebody else can gain access to my funds should they be able to get hold of my computer and if they have their own Trezor?

So this would mean that just putting my Trezor in a safe is not enough, I need to lock my pc away as well?

My understanding is that you need to put your recovery seed into electrum in order for it to display your wallet. My understanding is also that if you have a trezor device, then all you need to recover your private keys is your recovery seed. Although I do not have a trezor personally so there may be an additional step required to recover access to your private keys.
RustyNomad

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2015, 06:17:34 AM

My understanding is that you need to put your recovery seed into electrum in order for it to display your wallet. My understanding is also that if you have a trezor device, then all you need to recover your private keys is your recovery seed. Although I do not have a trezor personally so there may be an additional step required to recover access to your private keys.

That is my understanding as well i.e. that they will need to get hold of your Trezor but the way you worded it, it sounded like you were saying that your funds would be at risk if you made use of Electrum and Trezor and somebody else got hold of your computer and if they had their OWN Trezor.

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 06:47:22 AM

That is my understanding as well i.e. that they will need to get hold of your Trezor but the way you worded it, it sounded like you were saying that your funds would be at risk if you made use of Electrum and Trezor and somebody else got hold of your computer and if they had their OWN Trezor.
My understanding is that if you use the recovery seed for your Trezor, then it would be very similar to you using that seed on a brand new Trezor. This is how you regain access to your funds if your Trezor were to become lost, stolen, or broken; you would have a new/replacement Trezor shipped to you, and then you would use the recovery seed to gain access to the private keys that the trezor is protecting.

I know at one point a PIN/password is chosen/necessary, however I am not sure if this is before or after the generation/importation of the seed.

IMO electrum should really have a way to simply use the xpubkey(s) associated with your trezor and then would generate an unsigned transaction with electrum and create a process in which it requests the trezor that is plugged into your computer to sign the transaction prior to it broadcasting to the network.

Also, if someone were to want to import their trezor seed into electrum, then it should allow for the signing of transactions locally.
ColderThanIce

Activity: 373
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 01:42:40 PM

I don't think this is how Electrum works with Trezor. I set my existing Trezor up with Electrum a few months ago, but from what I recall all I needed to do was create a new Trezor wallet within Electrum, and then Electrum asks for the user's passphrase or PIN, and then you can see all the balances on the Trezor accounts. So no recovery seed is needed to setup a Trezor with Electrum.

ROLLIN.IO  BITCOIN   DICE   GAME
   ⚁    ⚂    ⚃    ⚄   ⚅   ⚁   ⚂
                                        ███████████████████    
      ██████████████████                                    ██
      ██                            ██                                    ██
      ██                            ██                                    ██  
      ██                            ██                                    ██
      ██                            ██████████            ██████
      ██                            ██              ██          ██
      ██                            ██                 ██       ██
      ██                            ██                    ██    ██
      ███████        ███████                        ████
                ██     ██
                ██  ██
                ████

███████████
S  O  C  I  A  L
C H A T T I N G
                    ██
                  ████
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
      ████████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████ 
              ████████
              ████████

████████

████████
██████████████
LEVEL UP SYSTEM
   WITH REWADS
                ██████
              ████████
            ██████████
          ████████████
        ██████████████
    ██████████████████
  ████████████████████
   ██████████████████ 
     ████████████████
        █████████████
           ██████████
                █████
██████████████
 FREE BITCOINS
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 01:46:07 PM

I don't think this is how Electrum works with Trezor. I set my existing Trezor up with Electrum a few months ago, but from what I recall all I needed to do was create a new Trezor wallet within Electrum, and then Electrum asks for the user's passphrase or PIN, and then you can see all the balances on the Trezor accounts. So no recovery seed is needed to setup a Trezor with Electrum.
You may be using a newer version of electrum. A few months ago I was helping the OP with a problem with his trezor, was given the recovery seed and was asked for the seed to setup the electrum wallet. IIRC, I was using 1.8 or 1.9 at the time. I would need to double check if this is still the case with 2.2
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: