Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:16:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins used for voting and the cloaking of said the  (Read 780 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2012, 03:24:17 AM

(apologies for the odd titling of this thread, but...)

I'm aware that voting via Bitcoin has been addressed before, but I'm having trouble finding an answer to the question stuck in my head.

Is there a way that Bitcoin can be used to vote via bitcoin deposits on anything (I've something specific in mind), but without the ongoing results be found on blockchain/explorer/etc.?

~Bruno~

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2012, 03:30:03 AM

I started and was involved with a couple of threads about this:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=61359.0

and

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60229.0 be pre-warned that this one was a BenRayfield post Wink

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2012, 03:32:53 AM

Can't find the other thread now but here is a summary voting system proposal that I came up with:

Code:
Block Chain Blind Ballot
------------------------

- coins are premined to the total number of registered voters (no new coins can be created so that each
election will have its own fully auditable block chain)

- each registered voter is sent a fixed amount in a tx

- a set of private keys are published for the purpose of encrypting a ballot to the organiser's public key
(the private key to decrypt the votes are known only to the organiser and to each party)

- a set of valid or dummy "vote" tokens are available for selection from for each party so that a user will
construct a ballot by putting together a valid or dummy token for each party

- amid the valid or dummy tokens the voter will insert their own unique token (perhaps a UUID) whose purpose
will be so that the voter can check that their own vote was successfully processed (and not altered)

- once the ballot is assembled it is encrypted and then forwarded to another voter (the ballot cannot be
decrypted and its contents cannot in any way easily compared to a constructed ballot as not only is the
private key for encryption a choice but also each valid vote/dummy key chosen was a choice making the
number of combinations too hard to break down)

- in order to qualify to have your own vote sent (or forwarded) you must first have delivered a vote for
another voter (you can only deliver one vote)

- in order to ensure anonymity a voter needs to receive at least 2 other votes so it can randomly deliver
one vote and forward the other

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2012, 04:15:38 AM

(apologies for the odd titling of this thread, but...)

I'm aware that voting via Bitcoin has been addressed before, but I'm having trouble finding an answer to the question stuck in my head.

Is there a way that Bitcoin can be used to vote via bitcoin deposits on anything (I've something specific in mind), but without the ongoing results be found on blockchain/explorer/etc.?

~Bruno~

Best process that was suggested was to give each voter an address (or two...yes/no) to vote to.

Then post an encrypted file listing all of the addresses being used. Keep the password private until after the vote.

Reveal the password and all of the addresses can be tallied.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2012, 05:43:27 AM

Thanks to Elwar and CIYAM Pty. Ltd., I'll safely assume that this is doable.

The idea I have in mind will be introduced elsewhere, but I do want to say here that it will consist of a popularity contest, where the number of people voting is not tallied, only the amount of coins, with anybody voting as much and as often as they want, with each week the starting number of contestants is halved till we have a winner. (64 or 126 contestants is what I'm currently leaning toward)

The grand prize has to big enough to get maximum participants, say like $1M USD. I'm also looking at a 50/50 split. 50% of the total pool as a grand prize to the winner, and the other 50% split among all those who enter the contest (not the voters, though they could be one and the same) divvied up accordingly to their respected ranking, therefore even the contestant in last past is guaranteed something provided, of course, coins were voted for them.

Rest assure, that if/when this comes to fruition, I will not be in control of, nor have access to, the pool.

Again, this thread is just a preliminary step to make sure that such a voting option was available/doable. Feel free to weigh in some more on this subject so that I can formulate this further in my mind.

~Bruno~
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: