Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:26:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin QT Wallet and SSD  (Read 1977 times)
CryptoSalad (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2015, 10:44:32 PM

Hello I am having or seem to be having a lot of problems with Bitcoin wallet and downloading block chain, for some reason when loading wallet this is almost crashing my computer and when downloads for 1 to 2 hours or so then my system will lock up and freeze. I have since changed location of drive and using another drive that is not SSD and so far has no problems. Is their anything that can be done or checked to find a resolve in fixing qt working on SSD drive?
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2015, 10:53:50 PM

Hello I am having or seem to be having a lot of problems with Bitcoin wallet and downloading block chain, for some reason when loading wallet this is almost crashing my computer and when downloads for 1 to 2 hours or so then my system will lock up and freeze. I have since changed location of drive and using another drive that is not SSD and so far has no problems. Is their anything that can be done or checked to find a resolve in fixing qt working on SSD drive?

While syncing the client is also verifing the data, this puts some load on the CPU. Usually with a mechanical disk the HDD or the internet connection is the bottleneck. If you have a fast connection and use a fast SSD your CPU and or memory might be the bottleneck and thus clog the rest of your system. Did you check the CPU/memory load while qt was working on the SSD?

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
CryptoSalad (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 12:24:16 AM

While syncing the client is also verifing the data, this puts some load on the CPU. Usually with a mechanical disk the HDD or the internet connection is the bottleneck. If you have a fast connection and use a fast SSD your CPU and or memory might be the bottleneck and thus clog the rest of your system. Did you check the CPU/memory load while qt was working on the SSD?

Well when it is loading its hitting like 80% cpu use yet I have the following system so no idea what the cause of it is. I have a 40Meg down and 10Meg up line so I know this is rather ok..

System

Operating System
   Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
CPU
   AMD FX8350 Black Edition 8 Core Processor (4.0/4.2GHz, 8MB Level 3 Cache, 8MB Level 2 Cache, Socket AM3+, 125W   
   Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
   16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
   Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 990FXA-UD5 (CPU 1)   
Graphics
   22EA53 (1920x1080@60Hz)
   3072MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (MSI)   
Storage
        119GB OCZ-VERTEX4 (SSD)
   232GB Western Digital WDC WD2500AAJS-75VWA0 (SATA)   
   931GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ (SATA)
   2794GB Western Digital WDC WD30EZRX-00D8PB0 (SATA)
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 02:08:44 AM

Get a better, non-cheating, SSD drive.

Bitcoin (like most database-heavy) application is nearly exactly pessimal access pattern for a flash disk: it uses write-ahead-logging. This means that it forces relatively short writes (512B or 4kB) to sync up to the media (the erase block on the SSD is probably 256kB) and then never reads back the written log (because the log is only for crashes and rollbacks). This gives you horrible write amplification factors (512 or 64) that really stress up the flash drive (both the storage array and the controller) and almost no reads because you have large RAM cache.

I would kinda bet (a little) that the similar freezes would occur if you run any classical database engine (like Oracle, MSSQL, etc.) with a similar update-heavy workload. I'm not up to speed on SSD drives, but in the past my friends with similar workloads threw away OCZ and purchased Intel.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 05:27:12 AM

Get a better, non-cheating, SSD drive.

Bitcoin (like most database-heavy) application is nearly exactly pessimal access pattern for a flash disk: it uses write-ahead-logging. This means that it forces relatively short writes (512B or 4kB) to sync up to the media (the erase block on the SSD is probably 256kB) and then never reads back the written log (because the log is only for crashes and rollbacks). This gives you horrible write amplification factors (512 or 64) that really stress up the flash drive (both the storage array and the controller) and almost no reads because you have large RAM cache.

Thanks for the explanation. However, what's the technical name I should look for (or avoid) when at the store? Small erase blocks, maybe?
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 06:07:36 AM

Thanks for the explanation. However, what's the technical name I should look for (or avoid) when at the store? Small erase blocks, maybe?
Sorry, man! I'm really not up to speed on the SSD sales lingo. It used to be that you wanted SLC instead of MLC, but now they sell eMLC (a.k.a. enterprise MLC) and TLC (8-level cell, don't ask me why they call it "triple").

You want to look for benchmarks showing performance with database workloads involving write-ahead-logging.

The corporation I work for experienced such a large failure rate of the "enterprise class" SSD drives that they kissed up and pulled back from retirement the old, multi-spindle, Fiber-Channel-attached RAID/JBOD boxes with battery-backed caches. They use SSD only for the developer's laptops.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3521

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
June 15, 2015, 07:29:07 AM

even a crap ssd wont lockup under heavy hammering, it will just slow down if it has no ready to write blocks (ie it needs to erase them 1st)

made sure the ssd has the latest firmware. if your system is overclocked, put it back to stock. run memtest overnight and see if it passes.
AtomicStrike

Activity: 380
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 21, 2015, 07:43:02 AM

I have a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250Gb and no problems with Bitcoin Core and QT.
CryptoSalad (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2015, 12:17:58 AM

Still seems to be doing it so decided to move away from qt for now back up all wallets on to places to use in future and moved over to Bither and seems bitcoin.org site is promoting its use so no harm so far and has some nice features too it as well. I can use QT on normal hard drive but as far as throwing it on my ssd is a no go for me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: