Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:22:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to tell if a forum account has been banned?  (Read 1973 times)
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 12:04:52 PM

However, it doesn't seem like any actions are going to be taken to further help account sellers. And I don't see any good reason for why the forums should actively assist account sellers. Allowing them to stay is enough.

I'm inclined to the same view.  Why should the forum change anything in order to protect the parties to what's a pretty scummy activity anyway?  The only change I'd support is tagging of accounts which have been sold so that new users are aware the person posting isn't the original account holder (old users probably know anyway, by the change in posting style).

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jambola2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038

View Profile
July 14, 2015, 04:23:38 PM

*snip*
I'm inclined to the same view.  Why should the forum change anything in order to protect the parties to what's a pretty scummy activity anyway?  The only change I'd support is tagging of accounts which have been sold so that new users are aware the person posting isn't the original account holder (old users probably know anyway, by the change in posting style).

How would the forums tag them? Currently, most account sales occur with a new account listing the account for sale. The account is anonymised by only giving ballpark values for activity and posts.
I don't think the forums should ever tag based on a change in posting style, nor a change of IP address region (possible migration).
The trust system allows users to take this into their own hands, and a false negative trust will be a lot less harmful than a false "sold account" tag.

No longer active on bitcointalk, however, you can still reach me via PMs if needed.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2015, 06:23:59 PM

So no response to this...

I think they don't want people tagged as banned because people would ask why they did it. They would prefer the people just looked like they dropped off the face of the earth so they don't have to take responsibility for it. There are ways scammers can leverage this fact as well, which is unfortunately allowed to continue because of this secretive stance.

Well, if privacy had to be protected whilst also protecting the buyer from getting an account with bans, the bans could be visible to the user themselves only.
This means that if someone else logs onto your account, they can see your bans, and this would work if the account seller goes first, or uses an escrow who logs in and checks.
However, it doesn't seem like any actions are going to be taken to further help account sellers. And I don't see any good reason for why the forums should actively assist account sellers. Allowing them to stay is enough.

The last few posts are getting off topic.

There are plenty of reasons legitimate users would want to know why an account was banned. I don't like account sellers either, but this is not about them, this is about everyone else being able to know if an account is actually banned or if the user just went AWOL.

Why can't we just get a notification on the profile for this one already? Some times people fall of the face of the earth, some times they get banned, some times they are fleeing with money, some times they are temp banned for something small like off topic posting and can't correspond with people they are actively involved in trading with and have yet to receive their goods. Putting some kind of notification on the profile would be helpful for the rest of us.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: