Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:01:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any pool want to buy difficulty 2 shares??  (Read 2357 times)
marcus_of_augustus (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 01:45:19 AM
Last edit: June 01, 2011, 02:34:08 AM by mother_of_another

It would halve the pool network traffic and halve likelihood for comms crashes leading to lock-ups on miners side.

I can't see why the pools do not do this for bigger miners, it benefits the pools in bandwidth costs and other overheads also?

Could even have tiered accounts, difficulty 5, 10 for even bigger miners, it makes sense. What's the hang-up with difficulty 1 shares ... network difficulty is now at 434,000 and every time it goes up it means more difficulty 1 shares have gone onto the network.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xenon481

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 01:47:58 AM

network difficulty is now at 434,000 and every time it goes up it means more difficulty 1 shares go onto the network.

Network Difficulty has absolutely no effect upon how many difficulty>1 shares are found.

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
1bitc0inplz

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 01:51:38 AM

Wouldn't a pool want all it's workings on the same difficulty? I cannot imagine the headache of trying to score a round when some workers are solving difficulty n while others are on difficulty 1.

Although, in spirite, if a pool did just say difficulty 2 (or whatever other number) was what they were going with it would decrease network IO... but, for slower miners it might create the (false) perception that that particular pool was less worthwhile than a pool using difficult of 1, based solely on the median time between shares.

Mine @ http://pool.bitp.it - No fees, virtually 0 stales, what's not to love!
Chat with us @ #bitp.it on irc.freenode.net
Learn more about our pool @ http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12181.0
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 01:54:00 AM

I've been considering swapping BTC Guild to a higher difficulty of shares to reduce the work being sent to/from miners, as well as lowering the amount of requests going between pushpool, bitcoind, and MySQL.  My only concern at this point is for CPU miners, who are already submitting shares so rarely that a difficulty of 2 could mean they don't even complete a share before some rounds end.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
martok

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 02:01:46 AM

It would half the pool network traffic and half likelihood for comms crashes leading to lock-ups on miners side.

I can't see why the pools do not do this for bigger miners, it benefits the pools in bandwidth costs and other overheads also?

Could even have tiered accounts, difficulty 5, 10 for even bigger miners, it makes sense. What's the hang-up with difficulty 1 shares ... network difficulty is now at 434,000 and every time it goes up it means more difficulty 1 shares go onto the network.
If you're big enough, sure. I can make a per-user change.
1bitc0inplz

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 02:03:44 AM

One problem I see with this is that most of the miners that I've looked at their source code, are hardcoded to find shares at a difficulty of 1... regardless of what the pool specifies.

Mine @ http://pool.bitp.it - No fees, virtually 0 stales, what's not to love!
Chat with us @ #bitp.it on irc.freenode.net
Learn more about our pool @ http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12181.0
xenon481

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 02:04:47 AM

network difficulty is now at 434,000 and every time it goes up it means more difficulty 1 shares go onto the network.

Network Difficulty has absolutely no effect upon how many difficulty>1 shares are found.

How do you figure that? More difficulty is because of more miners (most who are on pools now) sending difficulty 1 shares over the network ... how can there not be an increase in diff. 1 shares on the network ... can you not count?

Bring on-line twice as many miners pointed at the same pool as you are using now and tell me your network traffic of diff. 1 shares didn't double ... I dare you.

Some of you guys are abstracting yourselves into irrelevancy ... just go and count the numbers going across your screen, sheesh.

Network Hashing Power directly correlates to the number of difficulty>1 shares found. Network Difficulty does not. An increase in Network Difficulty does not necessarily mean that more difficulty>1 shares will be found as it is possible that the Network Hashing Power drops after the difficulty increase.

martok

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 02:08:36 AM

One problem I see with this is that most of the miners that I've looked at their source code, are hardcoded to find shares at a difficulty of 1... regardless of what the pool specifies.

Really? I used to solo with poclbm which connects to a local bitcoind instance at whatever difficulty of the day and it works fine. If miners assumed difficulty==1, they would not be suitable for soloing.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 02:12:04 AM

At some point, this is going to become necessary.

We will have to invent meta-pools for CPU miners to join.  The meta-pool can accept difficulty 1 shares from miners, and the miners can earn meta-shares in the meta-pool.  Then the meta-pool submits any hashes that meet the next level of criteria to the real pool, which issues shares to the meta-pool.  When the real pool pays out, the meta-pool can pay down to the miners.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
xenon481

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 02:12:26 AM

Really? I used to solo with poclbm which connects to a local bitcoind instance at whatever difficulty of the day and it works fine. If miners assumed difficulty==1, they would not be suitable for soloing.

I know that Phoenix kernels assume difficulty==1, but the base program itself checks the real difficulty before sending it on.

I think that some people have modified their version of poclbm to assume difficulty==1, but I don't think that the base code does that.

marcus_of_augustus (OP)
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 02:13:15 AM

It would half the pool network traffic and half likelihood for comms crashes leading to lock-ups on miners side.

Could even have tiered accounts, difficulty 5, 10 for even bigger miners, it makes sense. What's the hang-up with difficulty 1 shares ... network difficulty is now at 434,000 and every time it goes up it means more difficulty 1 shares go onto the network.
If you're big enough, sure. I can make a per-user change.

Great. How big is "big enough" and where do I sign up?

Edit I'm using poclbm raw so no problem with changing any mining code.

xenon481

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 02:19:09 AM

How do you figure that? More difficulty is because of more miners (most who are on pools now) sending difficulty 1 shares over the network ... how can there not be an increase in diff. 1 shares on the network ... can you not count?

Bring on-line twice as many miners pointed at the same pool as you are using now and tell me your network traffic of diff. 1 shares didn't double ... I dare you.

Some of you guys are abstracting yourselves into irrelevancy ... just go and count the numbers going across your screen, sheesh.

Network Hashing Power directly correlates to the number of difficulty>1 shares found. Network Difficulty does not. An increase in Network Difficulty does not necessarily mean that more difficulty>1 shares will be found as it is possible that the Network Hashing Power drops after the difficulty increase.

Now you are using semantics to get out of it .... I did NOT say how many are found I said how many go onto the network ... if you just want to argue I suggest you go somewhere else. FO.

This is an open source community and open source derives its quality from everybody coming together to correct eachothers' mistakes. In order for such a process to work smoothly, people must check their egos at the door. You need to remove your emotions from your submissions and allow them to grow into the best that they can be.

I agree with the intent of your idea, I merely submitted a correction to one inaccuracy in your OP.

martok

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 02:22:30 AM

Great. How big is "big enough" and where do I sign up?

Edit I'm using poclbm raw so no problem with changing any mining code.
A ghash or so. ONly because this would involve me writing some pushpool modifications. I don't think it'd be wise to implement pool wide just because users might confuse over half the shares but doing it on a per-worker basis wouldn't be hard.
marcus_of_augustus (OP)
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 02:32:19 AM

Now you are using semantics to get out of it .... I did NOT say how many are found I said how many go onto the network ... if you just want to argue I suggest you go somewhere else. FO.

This is an open source community and open source derives its quality from everybody coming together to correct eachothers' mistakes. In order for such a process to work smoothly, people must check their egos at the door. You need to remove your emotions from your submissions and allow them to grow into the best that they can be.

I agree with the intent of your idea, I merely submitted a correction to one inaccuracy in your OP.

So you do want to argue semantics ... whatta piece of work ... point to my "inaccuracy" or apologise for derailing my thread with erroneous, nit-picky fuckwitting around.

marcus_of_augustus (OP)
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 02:49:34 AM

I've been considering swapping BTC Guild to a higher difficulty of shares to reduce the work being sent to/from miners, as well as lowering the amount of requests going between pushpool, bitcoind, and MySQL.  My only concern at this point is for CPU miners, who are already submitting shares so rarely that a difficulty of 2 could mean they don't even complete a share before some rounds end.

I think Meni Rosenfeld (Holy-fire) has some mathematics in the deepbit thread that proves missing out on short rounds in a pool does not change your variance ....

(I'm not sure how complete it was though)

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2011, 04:59:08 AM

What changes would need to be made to pushpool to implement a configurable difficulty response to the miners?

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 05:03:12 AM

It would make more sense to fix the miners to accept whatever difficulty the pool requests rather than the other way around.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
marcus_of_augustus (OP)
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 05:17:36 AM

It would make more sense to fix the miners to accept whatever difficulty the pool requests rather than the other way around.

Poclbm miners will already just work on whatever diff. is sent to them.

xf2_org

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 05:40:06 AM

I have been encouraging any pool operator that will listen to raise their difficulty.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: