Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:35:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Players in Mining: 21 Inc, BitFury and Telco 214  (Read 4015 times)
OROBTC (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 03:05:26 AM

In recent days, so new players in mining have stormed onto the stage (or perhaps more accurately identified by blockchain.info).  I know very little about any of them:

-- BitFury makes ASIC chips, correct?  Their pool would then remind me of AntPool and KnC Miner, hardware makers.

-- 21 Inc. is the new & mysterious company that wants mining in almost any electrical device, correct?

-- Who is Telco 214?  My Google search was not very instructive...

Any other details would be informative (perhaps even useful) to us here.

EDIT: Are all three are US companies?  In whole or in part?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 06:28:01 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2015, 05:47:06 PM by Amph

bitfury have 4 locations in the world, and they are from usa, as it seems, telco is from florida and 21 inc, probably is from usa too

21 has already a good % of the network for being something new, they have basically a farm that is the same size of the one that have all that photo in that thread, you can find it in the mining section
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 10:34:12 AM

bitfury have 4 location in the world, and they are form usa, as it seems
Well, they have an office in San Francisco - but that doesn't make them any more a US company than that their Amsterdam office makes them a Dutch company Smiley  Their roots are around eastern Europe.

New Players in Mining: 21 Inc, BitFury and Telco 214
Something tells me you recently watched blockchain.info's pool information (which had been missing some of these), saw them pop up, and thought they were new.  BitFury has been around since early 2013 with their chips used in a few dozen different miner designs.  There's several discussion threads about 21, Inc. and Telco 214 is aka 'dot pool' in organofcorti's stats

Lorenzo

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 02:07:18 PM

BitFury definitely isn't a new company in the world of mining. Their stick miners were the first miners I ever owned. The fact that they now operate their own pool seems to be a new thing however, since this article says that they were still mining on the GHash.IO pool back in 2014:

Quote from: CoinDesk
Following the news that Ghash.io was nearing control of 51% of the bitcoin network's hashrate, industrial bitcoin mining facility operator BitFury has released a new statement saying that it has moved 1.5 petahash of its hasing power out of the major bitcoin mining pool.

The company, which operates two large-scale mining facilities in Finland and Iceland and recently raised $20m, further indicated it will move additional petahashes out of Ghash.io over the next 72 hours.

Link: http://www.coindesk.com/bitfury-pulls-power-ghash-community-uproar/

There isn't a lot of information about Telco 214 on the web. I was able to find this description though:

Telco 214 US, Inc. operates as an international voice communications provider. The company was founded in 1997 and is based in Palm Bay, Florida.

Link: http://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=4803738
TheRealSteve

FUN > ROI

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 02:26:56 PM

The fact that they now operate their own pool seems to be a new thing however, since this article says that they were still mining on the GHash.IO pool back in 2014

Mining at a pool doesn't mean they didn't have their own hardware hashing away - there's a whole bunch of blocks found by them that even have something like 'to prevent 51%' in the coinbase after the concerns about Ghash.io.  They explored P2Pool for a while but that didn't work out well with their setup, so eventually just mined against their own node(s).  So 'their own pool' isn't particularly new.  They did, however, recently expand, so they've got a larger share of the pie now.

Lorenzo

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 03:11:42 PM

The fact that they now operate their own pool seems to be a new thing however, since this article says that they were still mining on the GHash.IO pool back in 2014

Mining at a pool doesn't mean they didn't have their own hardware hashing away - there's a whole bunch of blocks found by them that even have something like 'to prevent 51%' in the coinbase after the concerns about Ghash.io.  They explored P2Pool for a while but that didn't work out well with their setup, so eventually just mined against their own node(s).  So 'their own pool' isn't particularly new.  They did, however, recently expand, so they've got a larger share of the pie now.

If they had all of their miners pointed towards GHash.IO when they went over 51%, then their own pool must be newer than the GHash.IO debacle at the very least. Unless they had some miners pointed towards GHash.IO and some pointed towards their own pool at the time (which doesn't seem to be the case according to that article).
TheRealSteve

FUN > ROI

View Profile
June 23, 2015, 03:37:45 PM

If they had all of their miners pointed towards GHash.IO when they went over 51%, then their own pool must be newer than the GHash.IO debacle at the very least.
Mostly correct.  The thing I was getting at is that when they did so, the only thing that changed was who compiled the blocks to be mined; instead of Ghash.io, it'd be another pool / them.  So it was just hashing power moving from a pool to (in this case) a private setup, and not new hashing power.

jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 12:16:00 AM

In recent days, so new players in mining have stormed onto the stage (or perhaps more accurately identified by blockchain.info).  I know very little about any of them:

-- BitFury makes ASIC chips, correct?  Their pool would then remind me of AntPool and KnC Miner, hardware makers.

You have much to learn if you've never heard of Bitfury. They were the 3rd company to produce ASIC's almost exactly 2 years ago (after ASICMiner and Avalon). Their first gen chip using 55nm could do <0.5w/gh IIRC which is even competitive against current gen ASIC's.

-- 21 Inc. is the new & mysterious company that wants mining in almost any electrical device, correct?

21 inc is not a new company, they've been mining for more than a year and always held a few percent of the total network hashrate. The company is based in Silicon Valley and previously went under the name of 21e6.

They've been mining for at least 6 months. They only have 1.4 PH/s (source) so I wouldn't really consider them a major player.
Sine(X)

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 24, 2015, 08:28:33 AM

Any other details would be informative (perhaps even useful) to us here.

EDIT: Are all three are US companies?  In whole or in part?

BitFury and 21Inc are not new players  Grin
Blockchain.info isn't nice resource for looking at mining pools, IMO whomined.com is better.
bitsolutions

Activity: 261
Merit: 257

View Profile
June 26, 2015, 12:35:22 PM

They've been mining for at least 6 months. They only have 1.4 PH/s (source) so I wouldn't really consider them a major player.
They have two other stratum servers with more hashrate.

Mining Software Developer.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: