Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:25:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sponsoring IPs to block unfriendly sites  (Read 766 times)
danalex (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 07:14:05 PM

What about sponsoring Internet Providers to block websites that don't accept bitcoin?
You would have crowfunding pay for it and people would get a cheaper internet connection for that trade-off: having websites that don't accept bitcoin blocked.
My IP blocks piratebay website because it is a piracy site. So I think this could be a policy of an Internet Provider.
Sites that were considered particularly unfriendly to bitcoin would be blocked and bitcoin lovers would pay for that.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 07:29:39 PM
Last edit: September 15, 2012, 07:45:15 PM by DeathAndTaxes

As I asked in your denial of service thread (an equally bad idea).

What about DDoS (Denial of Service) to sites that don't accept bitcoin?

What is it about freedom that scares you?

Bitcoin is free (as in free speech not free beer).  That includes the freedom to NOT participate. What is disturbing is not that you think it is plausible (it isn't) but that you think that if it was plausible it would be a good idea.  

What right do you have to dictate who gets to see what site?  What right do you have to force how private property owners conduct their business.   You already have the ability to not do business with companies that don't accept Bitcoins; just don't do business with them.

Choosing not to do business with X because they don't accept Bitcoins is freedom.  Trying to prevent others from doing business with X because they don't accept Bitcoins is tyranny. 
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2012, 07:50:35 PM

Choosing not to do business with X because they don't accept Bitcoins is freedom.  Trying to prevent others from doing business with X because they don't accept Bitcoins is tyranny. 

Agreed. And I knew before I even saw the sig this must be the same guy that posted the DDoS thread.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 07:53:40 PM

What about sponsoring Internet Providers to block websites that don't accept bitcoin?

That's the lamest thing I've heard in weeks.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 08:06:39 PM

That's the lamest thing I've heard in weeks.

You must have missed his other thread about DDoSing sites that refuse to accept Bitcoins.

This sounds straight out of the MPAA/RIAA/IFPI playbook. Ever heard of Piratepay? A resounding NO. By the way DDOSing sites is illegal in most jurisdictions, so this offends virtually everyone.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 08:07:27 PM

You must have missed his other thread about DDoSing sites that refuse to accept Bitcoins.

I'm glad I did.
danalex (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2012, 08:22:48 PM

It could be argued that not accepting bitcoin as a form of payment is also a tyranny.
But I agree that my ideas are wrong. It is good have people making me think it better.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2012, 08:24:10 PM

It could be argued that not accepting bitcoin as a form of payment is also a tyranny.
But I agree that my ideas are wrong. It is good have people making me think it better.

No it's not, you have a choice to either patronize that business or not.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2012, 08:32:47 PM

obv troll.

ISPs are going to block 99.99% of sites, right....

that's besides the general insanity of it.

I eagerly await your next terrible pretend idea.

Maybe punching tellers at banks that won't accept bitcoin deposits?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: