Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:06:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitInstant's Trip to Brazil - Global Payments Forum  (Read 6083 times)
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 06:47:20 PM

My favorite part is the bit about the Federal Reserve employees taking the bitcoins you sent them back to their lab to try to print more of them.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DublinBrian

Activity: 197
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 06:56:58 PM

Now you've kicked the hornets nest. Awakened the sleeping giant. Yanked the tail of the tiger.
+1

I dont know that it was wise for Erik to argue with the Dodd-Frank guy. That guy is going to go back to his organisation and spread the message that bitcoin is a tool for circumventing the law. That might just bring on the government attacks sooner.

Id prefer if bitcoin were off their radar for as long as possible. We need time to integrate bitcoin with the real economy so deeply that it will be impossible to marginalise and criminalise, when the authorities decide to attack.
Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:03:22 PM
Last edit: September 16, 2012, 07:22:26 PM by Severian

We need time to integrate bitcoin with the real economy so deeply that it will be impossible to marginalise and criminalise, when the authorities decide to attack.

Bitcoin is now so international in scope that there's not a lot that can be done. Sure, they could pass laws in different countries, but they move so slowly that by then, it will be too late. It would just drive the value of the currency up even more if and when they tried to regulate its use.

I'm glad they poked them. Hell, I'm amazed they got the opportunity. That alone shows where this protocol stands at the moment.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:16:20 PM

So... the fact that Gavin was invited to give a talk to the CIA over a year ago didn't mean Bitcoin was already on their radar?

CIA != Fed

I know a lot of people see "the government" and instantly assume that a presentation at government office A will instantly result in the entire federal workforce becoming aware of said presentation's contents, but that's not how real life works Smiley

In 2010, the federal government workforce numbered at 4.4 million people.  And most of those are hunkered down in their little slice of government, not talking to other branches.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Severian

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:26:50 PM

I know a lot of people see "the government" and instantly assume that a presentation at government office A will instantly result in the entire federal workforce becoming aware of said presentation's contents, but that's not how real life works Smiley

And on top of that, there's this:

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

-Upton Sinclair

Governments are slow, lumbering beasts. Bitcoin is a mammal to the dinosaur of centralized control.
Domrada

Activity: 254

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2012, 08:12:25 PM

So... the fact that Gavin was invited to give a talk to the CIA over a year ago didn't mean Bitcoin was already on their radar?

CIA != Fed

In 2010, the federal government workforce numbered at 4.4 million people.  And most of those are hunkered down in their little slice of government, not talking to other branches.

No kidding?

The point of my post was that "the government" already knows about Bitcoin. From the CIA, to the FBI, to Chuck Shumer, to presidential candidate Mitt Romney, et cetera I'm sure. Suggesting that E. Voorhees poked the beehive giving a few bitcents to some Fed employees is silly.

For the record, I was sincerely applauding the poking of said beehive. It needs poking, badly. It should be poked and often, and by someone who knows how.

DataTrading
TRADE FORECASTING BY ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
¦
PRE-SALE SPECIAL  30%  BONUS   
Pre sale starts on 11.20.2017 9:00 UTC
lonelyminer (Peter Šurda)
Donator

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 11:40:20 PM

Well done Charlie and Eric.

Just a minor comment from a notorious nitpicker. Bitcoin is not the first scarce digital commodity. I found at least one precedent: IP addresses. They are scarce, digital, and have a market price.

Cheers from the Bitcoin conference.
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 11:58:06 PM

Well done Charlie and Eric.

Just a minor comment from a notorious nitpicker. Bitcoin is not the first scarce digital commodity. I found at least one precedent: IP addresses. They are scarce, digital, and have a market price.

Cheers from the Bitcoin conference.

Fair point Smiley
evoorhees (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 12:01:51 AM

Now you've kicked the hornets nest. Awakened the sleeping giant. Yanked the tail of the tiger.
+1

I dont know that it was wise for Erik to argue with the Dodd-Frank guy. That guy is going to go back to his organisation and spread the message that bitcoin is a tool for circumventing the law. That might just bring on the government attacks sooner.

Id prefer if bitcoin were off their radar for as long as possible. We need time to integrate bitcoin with the real economy so deeply that it will be impossible to marginalise and criminalise, when the authorities decide to attack.

Let's not use the word "argue."  The whole event was for networking and education, and this is what happened. The Dodd-Frank guy works for the Fed, yes, but was presenting on a piece of legislation written by congress. Further, from his tone, he was none-too-thrilled with the legislation either, so me describing to him how Bitcoin might cause problems for it did not antagonize him personally in any significant way.

I don't want to hide in the dark with what we're doing. I want to speak with those who are part of the status quo, and demonstrate to them how amazing this technology is. Yes, some will fight us, but my confidence in Bitcoin is such that I believe it can stand up on its own, and will prove itself to the world. I've taken it upon myself to simply inform, educate, and discuss along the way.
Evolvex

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 05:12:59 PM

CIA != Fed

In 2010, the federal government workforce numbered at 4.4 million people.  And most of those are hunkered down in their little slice of government, not talking to other branches.

No kidding?

The point of my post was that "the government" already knows about Bitcoin. From the CIA, to the FBI, to Chuck Shumer, to presidential candidate Mitt Romney, et cetera I'm sure. Suggesting that E. Voorhees poked the beehive giving a few bitcents to some Fed employees is silly.

For the record, I was sincerely applauding the poking of said beehive. It needs poking, badly. It should be poked and often, and by someone who knows how.

me, me, please can I do some poking Smiley - your quite right, I think they need poking - the world needs to wake up, and if that means poking a beehive, then poke away I say.

Good write up by the way evoorhess - jammy sod tho, your life seems so cool!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: