Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:36:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: what is to be hashed in the bolck and where does they come from?  (Read 1578 times)
PRCman (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 03:15:51 AM

With in a block, there are following:
what is to be hashed in the bolck and where does they come from?

4    version    uint32_t    Block version information, based upon the software version creating this block
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I think it's self generated of come from a hardcode value.
32    prev_block    char[32]    The hash value of the previous block this particular block references
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I think it's come from the Bitcoin network
32    merkle_root    char[32]    The reference to a Merkle tree collection which is a hash of all transactions related to this block
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~What's this? where does it come from?
4    timestamp    uint32_t    A timestamp recording when this block was created (Limited to 2106!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Is there a NTP server or come from local CMOS clock ?
4    bits    uint32_t    The calculated difficulty target being used for this block
4    nonce    uint32_t    The nonce used to generate this block… to allow variations of the header and compute different hashes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~What is this? where does it come from?
1    txn_count    uint8_t    Number of transaction entries, this value is always 0
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~0

What else to be hashed when mining? and where are they come from?
How do we identify the block creator ?

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xenon481

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 03:20:22 AM

The following:

32    merkle_root    char[32]    The reference to a Merkle tree collection which is a hash of all transactions related to this block

That Merkle tree is a hash of the transactions which includes the 50BTC generation to the creator's address.

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
Quantumplation

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 03:23:31 AM

With in a block, there are following:
what is to be hashed in the bolck and where does they come from?

4    version    uint32_t    Block version information, based upon the software version creating this block
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I think it's self generated of come from a hardcode value.
It's so that, if the code changes down the line, we don't automatically reject this one because it's slightly different and thus don't recognize it.  The code can look back and say "Oh yes, for version 1, this is how blocks were done, so it's valid."

32    prev_block    char[32]    The hash value of the previous block this particular block references
This comes from your local copy of the block chain, which you in turn got from someone else on the network solving the block.
32    merkle_root    char[32]    The reference to a Merkle tree collection which is a hash of all transactions related to this block
That ones a bit confusing and has to do with verifying all the transactions in the block more efficiently.  google "merkle tree".
4    timestamp    uint32_t    A timestamp recording when this block was created (Limited to 2106!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Is there a NTP server or come from local CMOS clock ?
It's a weird hybrid "agreed upon" time that is calculated based on what other nodes on the network are saying the time is, so everyone
arrives at kind of an "average" time.
4    bits    uint32_t    The calculated difficulty target being used for this block
This comes from everyone agreeing (essentially) on what the difficulty should be because of the rate that blocks are being solved at.
4    nonce    uint32_t    The nonce used to generate this block… to allow variations of the header and compute different hashes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~What is this? where does it come from?
This is the magic number that you change in order to try and make the hash of the whole thing less than the difficulty.  Essentially, you start at 0, change it to 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. until you find a valid block.
1    txn_count    uint8_t    Number of transaction entries, this value is always 0
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~0

What else to be hashed when mining? and where are they come from?

Thanks

You identify the block "creator" by whoever was awarded the 50 bitcoins in the first "generation" transaction.

NOTE: This account was compromised from 2017 to 2021.  I'm in the process of deleting posts not made by me.
PRCman (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 03:29:58 AM

Are there any fields not mentioned above to be hashed when mining?
xenon481

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 03:33:20 AM

Are there any fields not mentioned above to be hashed when mining?

No.

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
PRCman (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 03:38:48 AM

32    merkle_root    char[32]    The reference to a Merkle tree collection which is a hash of all transactions related to this block
That ones a bit confusing and has to do with verifying all the transactions in the block more efficiently.  google "merkle tree".

When mining, how to fill this field?
Quantumplation

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 03:50:47 AM

32    merkle_root    char[32]    The reference to a Merkle tree collection which is a hash of all transactions related to this block

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_tree

NOTE: This account was compromised from 2017 to 2021.  I'm in the process of deleting posts not made by me.
PRCman (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 04:09:46 AM

Okay, how do we fill the tree leaves?
Quantumplation

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 06:36:54 AM

Transactions.

PRCman (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 06:42:46 AM

Transactions.

I don't understand the concept, we will have transactions after the block is found, right?
block is used for transactions.

What transaction do we have before the block found (while mining)?
Quantumplation

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 07:39:32 AM

Transactions.

I don't understand the concept, we will have transactions after the block is found, right?

Blocks contain transactions.  The fact that a block contains them "verifies" them.  A transaction is generated by someone saying "I want to send coins."  Have a look at http://blockexplorer.com/, gives some pretty useful block data.

PRCman (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 07:49:49 AM

Transactions.

Blocks contain transactions.  The fact that a block contains them "verifies" them.  A transaction is generated by someone saying "I want to send coins."  Have a look at http://blockexplorer.com/, gives some pretty useful block data.

Thank you.

From following page, such as my understanding, when mining, the miner/client fills the Merkle with a algorithm result (like a several hash) of the creator's receiving address.

Is that true?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Block_hashing_algorithm
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: