Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:19:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reciving bitcoins w. armory.  (Read 614 times)
Boskoe (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 08:58:24 AM

Hey,

Might be a stupid question.

Do i transfer my bitcoins to the offline wallet address or my online wallet address. I know how to create a wacthing only and transfering it back and forth. But i have some doubt wheather to receive it in my offline or online wallet.  

"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hexcoin

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 09:16:43 AM

Hey,

Might be a stupid question.

Do i transfer my bitcoins to the offline wallet address or my online wallet address. I know how to create a wacthing only and transfering it back and forth. But i have some doubt wheather to receive it in my offline or online wallet.  

if you plan to use your coins in the future lets say 1 year from now, use your offline wallet to recieve it but if you will use the coins for some reasons in the near future, store it in your online wallet
Boskoe (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 09:51:24 AM

Makes sense Smiley

Well i dont really have plans for the future, but it is quite large amounts of bitcoins im transfering.

instead of recieving it in my online wallet like you suggest, wouldent it be more safe for me to do it in my offline wallet address.

Thanks for replying btw Wink
Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 10:09:11 AM

The Armory developers' recommendation is to keep them offline: https://bitcoinarmory.com/cold-storage/

In the end it comes down to your paranoia level and how you use the "hot" PC. The OS on the "hot" PC etc.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
Boskoe (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 10:14:42 AM

Yeah your right. Thanks   Smiley Smiley
picobit

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

Decor in numeris

View Profile
June 25, 2015, 12:40:29 PM

I guess the others have already answered your question, but potentially you might be talking about different things.

You should have an offline wallet, and a corresponding online watch-only wallet.  They should be generating the same addresses.  Generating addresses on either machine is OK, as they generate the same sequence, but it is much more convenient to use the online machine as you can get the address out easily.  Spending the money require that you use both machines.

You may also have a true online wallet, i.e. a full wallet on the online computer.  Such a wallet is by necessity less safe, since malware could steal it.  It is more convenient for day-to-day use, but for large amounts use an offline wallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: