Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:35:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Linux OS  (Read 1296 times)
warlordluke (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 11:43:42 AM

Does anyone here know if there is a Linux OS that can be put on a USB stick with a persistence area to store the block chain, which is downloaded and encrypted one for the wallet? Or would it be better to design and make my own?
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2012, 12:19:17 PM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/LinuxCoin

warlordluke (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 03:51:22 PM

Already had a look at that. It was good but I'm looking for something more specific. Only really looking at one for using on a USB stick and occasionally connecting to a network to update the blockchain. I'll probably have a look at designing and building my own one.
Zack

Activity: 14

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 03:52:59 PM

Already had a look at that. It was good but I'm looking for something more specific. Only really looking at one for using on a USB stick and occasionally connecting to a network to update the blockchain. I'll probably have a look at designing and building my own one.

If you do, please post an update on it. Was looking to do the same.
warlordluke (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 04:09:50 PM

Will do but I may be a while because I'm a bit of a noon on building custom linux distros.
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2012, 04:14:03 PM

LinuxCoin is basically "A lightweight Debian-based OS which includes in the image everything that is necessary to run as a Bitcoin client".  That's what you wanted isn't if you want to go even lighter just install the basic bitcoin wallet on a live USB of DamnSmallLinux or PuppyLinux?

k3t3r

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 05:01:23 PM

linuxcoin does this  Huh

run it from the usb without connectng to the network and connect it to the network when you want to update block chain.
warlordluke (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:26:52 PM

linuxcoin does this  Huh

run it from the usb without connectng to the network and connect it to the network when you want to update block chain.

Yeah but it ain't been updated for a while and looks a bit old.
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 07:31:49 PM

Not quite sure what you are asking for, but have to checked out BAMT?

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
warlordluke (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 08:48:27 PM

I think when I make my own mining farm I will use that seems like a nifty little OS tbh.
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 09:23:39 PM

I think when I make my own mining farm I will use that seems like a nifty little OS tbh.
I've been using it since March, and it's very nice. But I'm not sure that it has a backed up blockchain. It's essentially a stripped down Ubuntu, with all the drivers and stuff you need. I've become a custom to it, and can set it up within minutes.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
NEICH

Activity: 13

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 05:42:24 AM

I have currently my debian linux in a USB pendrive, but it was not a very good idea... now thinking on migrating it to a fixed hard drive.

I found that due to the continuous updating of the bitcoin information blocks by the Bitcoin-QT application, the USB interface is busy many of the times.... This makes the system to have lags when using common resources (local terminal, SSH, VNC, etc).

OpenYourEyes

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 09:50:11 PM

I've created many live linux distros in the past, so if you can tell me exactly what it is you are looking for, and the sort of features you require I'll have a look at developing something in the coming days.

If I do, I'm not sure I'd include drivers/tools needed to do GPU mining (I don't have one so never tried & the reading I did on the different drivers/opencl versions required just confused me), so unless you want to donate below for me to buy one Cheesy or can post exactly what is needed to do so then I'll have a look at implementing that too.

takemybitcoins.com: Spend a few seconds entering a merchants email address to encourage them to accept Bitcoin
PGP key | Bitmessage: BM-GuCA7CkQ8ojXSFGrREpMDuWgv495FUX7
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: