Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:16:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [QUESTION] Allow users to mine and access our wallet-service using TOR?  (Read 1299 times)
Bit LC Inc. (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2012, 03:03:01 PM

Hi!

The subject is pretty much self-explanatory, we've recently had some issues with a person mining via TOR to hide a huge botnet and/or a hopping proxy-pool.
What do YOU think about banning TOR-exit nodes from accessing bitcoin wallet and/or pool sites/services?

I guess it's a question of anonymity versus security here, we're going to discuss this internally to - but i want input from users regarding this.

Is there any reason NOT to? Besides the obvious reason of being truly anonymous.
The reasons i can think of, FOR doing so are plenty - hacked accounts, bruteforce attacks, money/bitcoin laundering and much more.

What do you think?

--
Regards, Jim
Bit LC Inc.
https://www.bitlc.net
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fireduck

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 05:19:35 PM

What do you think?

I would allow tor users.  Why not?  I imagine it will all be botnets, but that is fine.  If my computer has some stuff on it, I'd prefer it get hot mining as I might notice that and correct the problem.  Otherwise, I'll have no clue my box is rooted all the hell.

I am not the internet police.  If peoples' computers getting hot and higher power bills are what it takes for there to be some incentive to unfuck OS security, fine by me.

Bitrated user: fireduck.
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 05:30:20 PM

Please don't spread FUD about Tor, you know wasn't a botnet, just a large miner. Regardless though, I doubt most botnets mine behind Tor... what would be the point?  They would be coming  from widely distributed points of origin anyway and any single node getting shut down would be virtually unnoticeable.  The entire point of a botnet is that it has compromised many different machines from many different locations.  It would be far more efficient to NOT use TOR with a botnet.

In fact, with the botnets I have seen on EMC, not a single one came through Tor and I've had some pretty big ones.  They just come from thousands of different IPs from all over the world, it's what makes it so hard to block them.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 05:36:36 PM

Here's what I think, the first mining pool to operate exclusively on TOR and provide automatic payouts is going to be my mining pool of choice as long as the fees are reasonable or the PPS numbers high enough.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 05:45:07 PM

Why exclusively?  Just curious... I would consider setting up an EMC node for Tor only, but it seems like that doesn't buy much?

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 06:18:09 PM

Here's what I think, the first mining pool to operate exclusively on TOR and provide automatic payouts is going to be my mining pool of choice as long as the fees are reasonable or the PPS numbers high enough.

I'm supporting mining over Tor directly for long time. Is there any advantage in having a Tor-only mining pool? I don't see any.

MXRider

Activity: 466
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 07:12:12 PM

I think using TOR is just fine.

I've read the whole story and I have to take a side here. Bitlc is hoppable and you will get hopped. You can only blame yourself. How many months ago did you promise to change the reward method?
drekk

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Who shot who in the what now?

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 07:34:21 PM

As the operator of a TOR exit node I know there's some abuse going on, but so far I've never been confronted with serious complaints (besides scanning, spam attempts etc.).

On the other hand, TOR enables a lot of people to access the Internet who couldn't do so otherwise. Think of China, Syria, Saudi-Arabia, Egypt...

Also take into account that the economies of several of those countries are weak and highly inflationary. Bitcoin could be a tool for those in revolutionary surroundings to have access to other "currencies".

In my humble opinion, TOR and Bitcoin should team up.

~drekk~

☛ GPG Key / Fingerprint: CDFF 083A 3056 7DD8 B5B9  6687 726C AB05 D6AE 6148
☛ Overly attached BitMinter miner // 4pmlIE9idmlvdXMgdHJvbGwgaXMgb2J2aW91cy4g4pm
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 12:32:42 AM

Hey inaba I saw somewhere that you're using torify and had a question.

I starting mining and running bitcoin-qt through tor a couple of days ago and noticed some warnings coming from tor regarding dns leakage.  I fixed that tonight by running cgminer into socat as a front end to tor.  The dns leakage was the only anonymity concern I had and socat took care of it.

Does torify take care of the dns leakage problem?

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2012, 02:16:18 PM

I wasn't really concerned with it, so I never bothered to investigate it further.  If someone wanted to track down my connections via DNS they are more than welcome to, as it wasn't really intended to hide my identity anyway.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: