Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:13:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No Money in Bank Account when withdrawing to Paypal = $45 CHARGE?  (Read 1346 times)
solareclipse64236 (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 05:46:29 PM

In the month of July, I tried to add money to my paypal account from my PCF account and it failed and there was no such charge.

However in the month of August, I tried to add money from my bank account twice and I got hit with two(2) $45 charges, what the hell is going on here?

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 09:54:10 PM

In the month of July, I tried to add money to my paypal account from my PCF account and it failed and there was no such charge.

However in the month of August, I tried to add money from my bank account twice and I got hit with two(2) $45 charges, what the hell is going on here?

PCF would be your bank?

The problem is the "pull" processing method called ACH (well, in the U.S. it is ACH, there are similar electronic funds transfer methods in other countries).  To add money to PayPal from a bank account you add info to "link" your bank account to your PayPal account.  Then when you add money, PayPal attempts to pull funds from your bank, which they can do because you gave them permission to do so.

If the problem was that you were trying to transfer funds that were not available in your bank account at the time, then the bank charges an overdraft -- regardless of whether they allows the withdrawal (putting your account negative) or rejected the transaction outright (leaving you with the overdraft fee and no funds added to PayPal.)

That's probably why you see the fee that you are describing.  Now why they didn't assess the overdraft fee the first time might have been an oversight, or perhaps an intervention by the bank staff as an act of mercy.

Perhaps you would like to use a payment network that is "push" only, ... and thus has no concept of overdrafts.   The name for that system is called Bitcoin.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █