Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 05:37:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-09-16 slashdot.org - Bitinstant: World "On an Inferior Monetary System"  (Read 1528 times)
alexanderanon (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 08:37:00 PM

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/09/16/1511206/bitinstant-ceo-says-world-operates-on-an-inferior-monetary-system
links to:
http://paritynews.com/web-news/item/322-world-operates-on-an-inferior-monetary-system-says-bitinstant
http://blog.bitinstant.com/blog/2012/9/15/brazil-and-the-global-payments-forum.html

Speaking about Bitcoin the duo [Erik Voorhees and Charlie Shrem] and explained to NACHA attendees of the power of virtual currency and its inevitability in the long run and how it is not disruptive in its literal meaning. Shrem and Voorhees went to the forum to convey two basic messages. First, how organizations can tap the strengths of Bitcoin and figure out ways to adopt this new technology? Second, the desire of BitInstant to be legally compliant. Relative anonymity is Bitcoin’s thing but, the duo went on to explain that there can be multiple layers of regulatory scaffolding on top of the Bitcoin system depending upon how regulators want it, only on a condition that they work with them.

"Regulatory scaffolding"? Not on my bitfork!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 10:59:57 PM

This comment made my week already ....

This particular conclusion was derived at after the last presentation at the forum by Senior Legal Counsel to the Federal Reserve  .... The presenter said, “well, if the regulators don’t like what Bitcoin is doing, it’s very possible they could come after you.” To this Voorhees replied that there was no “you”. On this the counsel said in that case the law would go after the server farms and the infrastructure.

Fed. Res. senoir legal counsel thinks they can shutdown the Bitcoin Company's "server farms" ... cool. The intertubes are getting all gummed up with disinformation heheheh!

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 11:10:28 PM

On this the counsel said in that case the law would go after the server farms and the infrastructure.
Ahahahah

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2012, 11:28:06 PM

Wow.  A Bitcoin story on Slashdot WHILE I have modpoints.  Smiley  This is gonna be fun. 

Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 11:38:08 PM

This made my week too, i'm still laughing

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
September 16, 2012, 11:45:51 PM

This particular conclusion was derived at after the last presentation at the forum by Senior Legal Counsel to the Federal Reserve  .... The presenter said, “well, if the regulators don’t like what Bitcoin is doing, it’s very possible they could come after you.” To this Voorhees replied that there was no “you”. On this the counsel said in that case the law would go after the server farms and the infrastructure.
our "server farms" are thousands of nodes, hosted on computer's around the world. good luck raiding all of those.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
The-Real-Link

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 09:03:16 PM

LOL

Oh Loaded, who art up in Mt. Gox, hallowed be thy name!  Thy dollars rain, thy will be done, on BTCUSD.  Give us this day our daily 10% 30%, and forgive the bears, as we have bought their bitcoins.  And lead us into quadruple digits
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 09:29:22 PM

How did that guy got his job? A college degree on Economy or what?
Every student of economics I know IRL thinks the US Federal Reserve and the ECB are governmental entities, so it doesn't surprise me much lol
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 09:36:06 PM

I've said this before: let them be stupid, and don't ridicule them. Use Bitcoin, explain it to others in practical and technological terms, and let everyone decide about political implications for themselves.
Direct confrontation is not a good idea in asymmetrical warfare. The more we grow under the radar, the bigger we will be once we ping the radars.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 07:56:50 PM

My opinion about what they said:

Small words from a small being trying to attack what he doesn't understand

Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 08:06:53 PM
Last edit: September 19, 2012, 08:17:27 PM by Gabi

By the time Bitcoin became self-aware it had spread into millions of computer servers all across the planet. Ordinary computers in office buildings, dorm rooms, everywhere. It was software, in cyberspace. There was no system core. It could not be shut down. The regulators attack began at 6:18 P.M. just as he said it would. Judgment Day. The day the human race was nearly destroyed by the banksters they built to protect themselves. I should have realized our destiny was never to stop Judgment Day; it was merely to survive it. Together. Satoshi knew. He tried to tell us, but I didn't want to hear it. Maybe the future has been written. I don't know. All I know is what Satoshi taught me. Never stop fighting. And I never will. The battle has just begun.
Cheesy Cheesy

WikileaksDude

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 10:39:17 PM

I've said this before: let them be stupid, and don't ridicule them. Use Bitcoin, explain it to others in practical and technological terms, and let everyone decide about political implications for themselves.
Direct confrontation is not a good idea in asymmetrical warfare. The more we grow under the radar, the bigger we will be once we ping the radars.

I second this. Educate your friends/family about bitcoin, promote it inside your own environment. Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: