Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:21:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are people afraid of pool fees?  (Read 3779 times)
live627 (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 06:04:23 AM

I don't get it?? In the newbie forum most especially, pools without fees are preferred over those that take back a small fee.

Here's how I see it: Pools with fees are more reliable in the long run because they have some extra funding to keep their services up and running. Ones which do not incur such fees don't seem to have this safety net.

Am I missing  something?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
senseless

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 07:41:55 AM

I don't get it?? In the newbie forum most especially, pools without fees are preferred over those that take back a small fee.

Here's how I see it: Pools with fees are more reliable in the long run because they have some extra funding to keep their services up and running. Ones which do not incur such fees don't seem to have this safety net.

Am I missing  something?

Almost all pools keep the transaction fees. Depending on the number of blocks a pool gets; that might be sufficient to pay the colocation for the server.

Sant001

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 07:47:44 AM

With difficulty going up so fast, it's only natural that miners want to keep every penny.

What's more, pools usually pay on a daily basis, so if a pool is not around tomorrow miners will just switch to another pool.

Are you running a pool or planning to?
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 08:02:38 AM

The most popular pool (based on it's hash rate) actually has one of the highest fees in the business. Their results are pretty reliable, but it doesn't always correlate to reliability in server uptime. Most people do after all suggest you always have a second backup pool.

wknight done a good job of keeping track of this recently.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=106417.0

Also organofcorti does a lot more indepth study on all the big pools.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77000.100
http://organofcorti.blogspot.co.uk/

However to explain why some newbies probably don't like fee pools is quiet simple, they probably don't have the hashing power the more long term members of the community do, so many of the newbies just coming in now also are still understably using GPU's. If you are still using GPU's with an ever increasing difficulty, you won't be making that much of a net profit, so it's a good idea to save Btc where you can.
Since they probably aren't mining much in the first place, every mBtc matters.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 08:06:02 AM

Am I missing  something?

Almost all pools keep the transaction fees. Depending on the number of blocks a pool gets; that might be sufficient to pay the colocation for the server.

So you've paid for the colo. Who runs it? Who maintains the pool 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and is on hand to respond to queries and complaints in a timely manner? Should a pool op do all this for free?

ALL pool have to be run at a profit or you end up with an unreliable pool. MTRED for example is a fee free PPS pool - not only does the pool op not take a fee but he runs the risk of not being able to payout a run of bad luck.

Whether the pool runs for a fee or accepts miner donations for added services and benefits, there has to be a revenue stream or the pool op has no real way keep uptime high or develop new technologies that help miners even more.

Block tx fees are atm insufficient to use as pool revenue and as the block reward halves many pools will pass block tx fees to miners since they will start to make a larger percentage of earnings.

tl;dr
If you don't want to pay a fee (or a donation) to reduce your mining variance at a pool, you have three options:
1. Stay with fee free pools that don't reward/encourage donations and deal with poor uptime and unreliability
2. Use p2Pool
3. Solo mine and deal with variance.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 09:45:19 AM

Am I missing  something?

One word:

GREED

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 10:02:33 AM

Why should a miner care whether his pool is reliable in the long run?

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 10:13:04 AM

If they're solo mining they shouldn't.

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 10:44:41 AM

Each time a miner has to go to back up increases stales, if the website's down you can't access your coin, and if the pool fails losing coin is a certainty.

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 07:04:59 PM

Each time a miner has to go to back up increases stales, if the website's down you can't access your coin, and if the pool fails losing coin is a certainty.
All of these are short run concerns.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 07:07:27 PM

Am I missing  something?
Yes you are missing things like p2pool

No fee and it's much much better and safer than any other pool. Fees to keep the service up and running? You keep p2pool up and running  Cheesy

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2012, 09:44:27 PM

All of these are short run concerns.

For any given miner at a particular pool, losing coin is not a short run concern. Unless the timecale you relate to is quite different to others?

keystroke

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014

advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 03:06:02 PM

Am I missing  something?
Yes you are missing things like p2pool

No fee and it's much much better and safer than any other pool. Fees to keep the service up and running? You keep p2pool up and running  Cheesy
I've been wondering why p2pool isn't more popular. Have people just not made the switch yet?

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."
lenny_
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

DARKNETMARKETS.COM

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 03:13:57 PM

p2pool have problems with stales/orphans. At this moment:
Code:
Pool rate: 330GH/s (10% stale)
10% in average of it's power is wasted. So it's like 10% fee pool.

DARKNET MARKETS >> https://DARKNETMARKETS.COM
Liquid

Activity: 826

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 03:14:06 PM

sorry for being noob but what is the best pool to go with in terms of reward ?

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 04:59:32 PM

There's not really one "best pool".  Solving blocks is a random event after all.  One pool may be having terrible luck while another is having great luck.  So if you have allot of hash power you may want to split it between several pools.  Kind of like diversifying your investment portfolio.
Sam

meebs

Activity: 616

View Profile
September 18, 2012, 10:27:48 PM

Why do people not like fees? Maybe because they dont feel the services provided are worth a 3-10% tax on earnings.

When you actually calculate it out.. it is a SUBSTANTIAL income for the pool operator.

Say we have a 5% pool that does 2500ghash/s.

5% * 2500 = 125 g/hash worth of fees.

on my rig I am getting 1.7 ghash for about .6 BTC/day

125 / 1.7 * .6 btc = 44.17 BTC/day * 365 = 16122 btc/year.

at current exchange rates.. thats $170k USD/year, not chump change.

Of course, if a pool operator can explain how much it costs, how much time it requires etc than that might help miners understand why they are charged so much.

Of course the pools could be operated as a business and its just the owner making a nice living off of the services he provides...

▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
           ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄
        ▄██████▀▀             ▀▀██████▄
      ▄█████▀▀                    ▀▀█████▄
     █████▀                          ▀█████
    ████▀          ▄▄███████▄▄         ▀████
   ████▌        ▄██▀▀▀    ▀▀▀██▄        ▐████
  ████▌       ▄██▀            ▀██▄       ▐████
 ▐████       ██▀   ▄▄█▀▀▀█▄▄    ▀██       ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▀  ▄▄   ▀▀             ▐████
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
▐████       ██  ▐█  ▐█                     ████▌
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▄  ▀▀   ▄▄    ██▀      ▐████
 ▐████       ██▄   ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀    ██▌       ████▌
  █████       ▀██▄            ▄██▀       █████
   █████        ▀██▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██▀        █████
    █████          ▀▀███████▀▀         █████
     █████▄                          ▄█████
      ▀█████▄▄                    ▄▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄             ▄▄██████▀
           ▀████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀
              ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀▀
Global Cryptocurrency
          ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DECENTRALISING PRODUCTION, LOGISTICS AND PAYMENT 
                ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   3D SERVICE      32 BAY     GCC WEBWALLET
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 10:42:16 PM

Why do people not like fees? Maybe because they dont feel the services provided are worth a 3-10% tax on earnings.

When you actually calculate it out.. it is a SUBSTANTIAL income for the pool operator.

Of course, if a pool operator can explain how much it costs, how much time it requires etc than that might help miners understand why they are charged so much.

Of course the pools could be operated as a business and its just the owner making a nice living off of the services he provides...

Your calculations imply a degree of constancy which simply isn't there.

1.  If you want to estimate yearly earnings, you have to assume that a pool will maintain a particular % of the network hashrate.
2.  The USD/BTC exchange rate is not stable. Six months it was USD $2 per btc.
3.  Extrapolating the yearly earnings of a pool from your own mining results is not a valid method. You should convert the hashrate to shares per day, convert that to expected blocks/day.

Aside from that, you miss the point - of course the pool owner needs to have a "nice earning" from the services he provides - how else is he or she expected to take maintaining the service seriously? Maintaining a pool is a 7 day 24 hour job, and many of the larger pools employ people from different timezones to be on hand for miner queries and pool emergencies.

DavinciJ15

Activity: 780
Merit: 510

Bitcoin - helping to end bankster enslavement.

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2012, 11:26:00 PM

My costs are $250 a month for the pool I can squeeze it down to $100 but I will max out at 300 - 400 GH capacity then there are issues keeping the pool up and running hackers constantly attacking, system problems are like keeping your mining equipment running for a 5 to 10 GH of GPUs.

Then you want to update your site and make improvements, none of that can be posible without a profit.

Davinci
Liquid

Activity: 826

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
September 19, 2012, 02:46:00 AM

There's not really one "best pool".  Solving blocks is a random event after all.  One pool may be having terrible luck while another is having great luck.  So if you have allot of hash power you may want to split it between several pools.  Kind of like diversifying your investment portfolio.
Sam

Thank you for your explanation,  is that like pool hopping ?

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: