Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:50:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Southern Rebal Flag  (Read 1093 times)
PenguinFire (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

That Darn Cat

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 03:20:18 AM

What did you guys think about all the news going on in the US about the banned of the South's rebal flag?  I am from the South and I am sort of mixed.  I can see how it could offend some but it really isn't a very big deal.  The people that used it as a hate symbol also used the Christian cross and the American flag.  What do you guys think?  I guess I don't think it should have been a big deal if it was banned or it wasn't.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 03:57:56 AM

Their are other symbols also, whose reputation has been tarnished because they are being used by various extremist groups. For example, the Swastika. It originated in India, as a Hindu sacred symbol. But the Swastika was later misused by the Nazis, ultimately resulting in the ban on Swastikas in many of the world nations. The case with the Confederate flag is something similar.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2015, 04:04:25 AM

The unfortunate side effect of banning these symbols, no matter what you think of them, is that the stories behind them will be less likely to be told. For example in Europe there are a lot of movies on ww2 that can not legally be shown because they feature a swastika ( I believe I am interpreting the law correctly, if not let me know). In effect this just makes it easier for the next generation to forget the mistakes of the past and repeat them.
OBAViJEST

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2015, 04:17:45 AM

The unfortunate side effect of banning these symbols, no matter what you think of them, is that the stories behind them will be less likely to be told. For example in Europe there are a lot of movies on ww2 that can not legally be shown because they feature a swastika ( I believe I am interpreting the law correctly, if not let me know). In effect this just makes it easier for the next generation to forget the mistakes of the past and repeat them.

"History is written by the victors."

PenguinFire (OP)

That Darn Cat

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 04:19:34 AM

This is not what I expected.  All you guys have very detailed opinions and explain why you feel the way you do.  There are no radical "screw the flag" or "there goes all our rights" posts at all.  Smiley

Okurkabinladin

Activity: 574
Merit: 506

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 06:20:35 PM

Their are other symbols also, whose reputation has been tarnished because they are being used by various extremist groups. For example, the Swastika. It originated in India, as a Hindu sacred symbol. But the Swastika was later misused by the Nazis, ultimately resulting in the ban on Swastikas in many of the world nations. The case with the Confederate flag is something similar.

Just technical  Wink swastika certainly didnt originate in hinduistic India, it is far older symbol, perhaps from stone/bronze age central Asia. Known among various Indo-european cultures. It was used in Europe well into early christianity period. Otherwise, you are spot on.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 06:40:48 PM

This is not what I expected.  All you guys have very detailed opinions and explain why you feel the way you do.  There are no radical "screw the flag" or "there goes all our rights" posts at all.  Smiley

This. Is. Bitcointalk. Not MSNBC.

Or maybe... This is the week end and most are enjoying a nice beer, with a sausage in one hand and a rainbow flag in the other...?

What hand holds the beer you say?

Smiley

I already made a thread regarding the flag and Apple's response somewhere. This is a political stunt between some politicians and big companies.... Pure insanity.

According to the trash garbage killer:

“I have no choice. I am not in the position to, alone, go into the ghetto and fight. I chose Charleston because it is most historic city in my state, and at one time had the highest ratio of blacks to Whites in the country,” he wrote. “We have no skinheads, no real KKK, no one doing anything but talking on the internet. Well someone has to have the bravery to take it to the real world, and I guess that has to be me.”

So according to him he could not find enough racists like him... Hmm. I would say that's a great thing. But not for the media and people in the business to make you have a cable bill every month.

Does not matter.
And it gets better...

Memphis mayor: C’mon, let’s dig up Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest’s remains
http://hotair.com/archives/2015/06/26/memphis-mayor-cmon-lets-dig-up-confederate-gen-nathan-bedford-forrests-remains/

National Cathedral to remove Confederate stained glass
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/06/25/national-cathedral-confederate-windows/29299901/

If you want to make money, make flags, hand made... Now.

Rmcdermott927
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1140

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 07:15:05 PM

In my opinion,  the southern flag belongs in a museum.   Just like the swastika.   It has it's place in history and civil war re-enactments.  There is no need to fly it in 2015 though.

masterzino

Activity: 1218
Merit: 513

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 09:38:04 PM

I don't mind it being taken down from any government buildings, a nationwide ban on anyone buying/flying the flag would just be utter bullshit censorship though.

PenguinFire (OP)

That Darn Cat

View Profile
June 27, 2015, 10:24:51 PM

I don't mind it being taken down from any government buildings, a nationwide ban on anyone buying/flying the flag would just be utter bullshit censorship though.

Yes, I agree.  I forgot to mention in my OP that I am for it being taken down at state and local government offices.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2015, 10:28:25 PM

Not all of us are neo-cons who swig moonshine and shoot stuff you know, my primary concern about this is the censorship as others have said, not only do you make martyrs out of the groups and people you censor but as others have said it eliminates parts of history. It's like certain swearwords now that we can NEVER say, I'm amazed with how much censorship is going on that I even know half the shit that comes out of people's mouths because nobody bloody explained it to me because of course everyone's afraid the PC police are going to come after them.
klf
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 01:51:57 AM

please OP edit is Rebel flag ...

If bringing down the flag realistically changes nothing, why do it?

PenguinFire (OP)

That Darn Cat

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 02:17:15 AM

please OP edit is Rebel flag ...

If bringing down the flag realistically changes nothing, why do it?

So people don't have anything to cry and whine about?   Cheesy  That seems to be the reason for most censorship these days honestly.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 12:34:55 PM

Just technical  Wink swastika certainly didnt originate in hinduistic India, it is far older symbol, perhaps from stone/bronze age central Asia. Known among various Indo-european cultures. It was used in Europe well into early christianity period. Otherwise, you are spot on.

Yup... you seems to be right. There is evidence to prove that the Vinča culture, which existed in the present day Balkans from BC 5700 to 4500 used the Swastikas. The Hindus began using it at least 2,000 years after that, in BC 3300. From India, it spread to China and Tibet, as the Buddhist monks introduced the Swastika in these places.
dblink

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 12:52:16 PM

Previously they carry that Swastika symbols in a belief that it will bring them good fortunes and charm, When Nazi got fell down their belief changes and force them to ban such symbols, the funny thing is that the human kind forget that All the good and bad fortunes comes from the Creator, Who created this Universe and send the Men and Women into this earth to rule and live according to his orders.

matrix zion

Activity: 381
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 08:12:29 PM

The confederate flag isn't even dealing with the real issue. It's just a way to make people feel better about themselves, and that pisses me off way more than having the confederate flag flying
Finchy

Activity: 315
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2015, 09:05:58 PM

People should be allowed to fly whatever flag they want. Nazi, Confederate, Union Jack Stars and Stripes etc. If someone is offended by any of them then tough shit. Most you should be able to do is cry about it but people should have the free speech to fly what they want. I think trying to censor extremism doesn't do anything but push it underground and personally I would rather know where a racist flying a swastika or a Confederate lives rather than them hide it from everyone.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 02:35:47 AM

People should be allowed to fly whatever flag they want. Nazi, Confederate, Union Jack Stars and Stripes etc. If someone is offended by any of them then tough shit. Most you should be able to do is cry about it but people should have the free speech to fly what they want. I think trying to censor extremism doesn't do anything but push it underground and personally I would rather know where a racist flying a swastika or a Confederate lives rather than them hide it from everyone.

I mostly agree with your argument, but at the same time some people claim that giving the fringe groups more visibility will ultimately result in more people joining these groups. And it makes it more easy to spread their propaganda to the vulnerable population (especially the children, and people from broken families).
stevegreer
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Official Zeitcoin community ambassador

View Profile
June 29, 2015, 03:46:03 AM

I think the whole thing is just BS. I can understand not allowing the flag to be flown at any capitol buildings, but all these companies pulling anything to do with the flag? Really Amazon? Really Apple? So it's considered racist to own or display the flag, but is perfectly acceptable to deface statues and monuments that honor Confederates? Hypocrisy anyone? Like it or not, the Civil war is a part of our history. It helped shape our country into what it is today. This, in my opinion, is nothing more than an attempt to erase or even re-write history. I do agree that the flag belongs in museums and civil war battleground parks and not flying at statehouses or such.

Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2015, 02:29:54 PM

If you're offended or disgusted by the ISIS/ISIL flag, you should be equally offended by the Confederate flag.

Both are symbols of bronze age ethics (slavery).

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: