Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:58:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Which version have you tested?
0.6.4rc3 - 2 (33.3%)
0.6.0.10rc3 - 2 (33.3%)
0.5.7rc3 - 1 (16.7%)
0.4.8rc3 - 1 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 2

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Please help test: Bitcoin stable maintenance versions (0.6.4rc3, etc)  (Read 2075 times)
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
September 17, 2012, 10:27:52 PM
Last edit: September 17, 2012, 10:43:00 PM by Luke-Jr

Now that 0.7.0 is tested and out the door, please help test some of the stable maintenance versions Smiley

These are bugfix-only releases.

Please report bugs by replying to this forum thread. Note that the 0.4.x wxBitcoin GUI client is no longer maintained nor supported. If someone would like to step up to maintain this, they should contact Luke-Jr.

Also note that CVE-2012-4682 and CVE-2012-4683 are not fixed in 0.4.8: 0.4.x did not have any anti-DoS system at all, and that is not changed with this release. If you want to be secure against this class of DoS attacks (network flooding of invalid data to verify), upgrade to a newer version!

bitcoind and Bitcoin-Qt version 0.6.4 release candidate 3 (sigs) are now available for download at:bitcoind and Bitcoin-Qt version 0.6.0.10 release candidate 3 (sigs) are now available for download at:bitcoind and Bitcoin-Qt version 0.5.7 release candidate 3 (sigs) are now available for download at:bitcoind version 0.4.8 release candidate 3 (sigs) is now available for download at:
PROTOCOL UPDATES

• BIP 34: Block height in coinbase as a new block rule (includes minimal adaptations to getmemorypool in 0.5+)
  • Support for sending to script (P2SH) addresses (BIP 13 + BIP 16)

BUG FIXES

• Fix DoS vulnerabilities in alert system (CVE-2012-4682 and CVE-2012-4683; (0.5+ only).
  • Do not consider inbound peers for outbound network group exclusion.
  • Apply BIP 30 checks to all blocks except the two historic violations.
  • Special-case the last alert to protect against the alert key ever being compromised.
  • Bitcoin-Qt: Ensure changes to preferred Bitcoin unit is immediately reflected in the GUI.
  • Bitcoin-Qt: Make sort and filters for transactions and labels case-insensitive.
  • Bitcoin-Qt: Override progress bar on platforms with segmented progress bars.
  • Bitcoin-Qt: Updated all translations from Transifex.
  • Fixed numerous typos and grammatical errors.
  • Resized the address book page to fix issue #1062 (0.6.0.10 and 0.6.4).
  • bitcoind: Fix building on MingW/OSX with USE_UPNP=- option (0.5+).
  • Fix build version generation failure when compiling on Windows (0.6.4).
  • Various other minor bug fixes, including test suite fixes and workaround for distcc build problems.

Thanks to everybody who contributed code or helped test this release:

Luke Dashjr
Sergio Lerner
Gavin Andresen
Philip Kaufmann
fanquake
xanatos
Wladimir J. van der Laan
Gregory Maxwell
Matt Corallo
Ricardo M. Correia
Michael Ford
Jeff Garzik
Pieter Wuille
Rune K. Svendsen
Stephane Glondu

The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kuzetsa

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 03:03:09 PM

Now that 0.7.0 is tested and out the door, please help test some of the stable maintenance versions Smiley
(...snip...)

waaaait a minute. are you saying 0.7.x is an unstable / testing branch? 0.6.x is basically stable branch?

perhaps 0.7.x has "crazy, new, untested features" and isn't broken in yet?

immediately, what comes to mind is odd-numbered branches of linux are "development / test" versions and not considered stable. (I'm remembering when I was on linux 2.4.x upgrading to 2.6.x years back)

more simply, my only ACTUAL question:

So uhm, is 0.6.x effectively "long term support" version?
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
September 20, 2012, 06:23:14 PM

waaaait a minute. are you saying 0.7.x is an unstable / testing branch? 0.6.x is basically stable branch?
0.7.0 is a "master" branch release, but should be stable in theory.

perhaps 0.7.x has "crazy, new, untested features" and isn't broken in yet?
Of course it has new features. The only one I am particularly concerned about, though, is the time refactoring I did. It did get plenty of testing, but gmaxwell found some bugs in it last-minute that were not fixed in the final.

immediately, what comes to mind is odd-numbered branches of linux are "development / test" versions and not considered stable. (I'm remembering when I was on linux 2.4.x upgrading to 2.6.x years back)
Bitcoin does not use such a system.

more simply, my only ACTUAL question:

Likely whatever version Debian ends up shipping will be "LTS". Other than that, it all depends on which backports people still need - hence the polls Wink

Note that unless 0.6.0.x is still needed, I plan to discontinue it as soon as Eligius has upgraded to 0.7.0 - so if anyone needs that, speak up ASAP.

Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2012, 01:34:50 AM

No, these are Luke's pet branches, which I think are a bad idea because they divert development and testing efforts away from the latest release.

The first real 'stable' release will be 1.0, and we're not there yet.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 01:41:23 AM

No, these are Luke's pet branches, which I think are a bad idea because they divert development and testing efforts away from the latest release.

The first real 'stable' release will be 1.0, and we're not there yet.
I think these are a good idea because they are in theory more stable, not having as many bugs as the master branch might.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: